In the Ear? Really???

They have a sweet taste to them. Packrat do you have them in Texas?

Not that I have ever seen, but only get down to the ranch a couple times per year. In fact, all of the last year was pretty much spent traveling, so didn't get down there at all. Am planning on a trip to Texas about the end of March and my brother is down there now, Deer hunting, and said the ranch is crawling with Whitetail Deer, but they haven't seen any hogs. I live in Arizona and from what I hear, they are slowly moving in here, but up North. Just like you, we don't eat the big ones, they are so rank, but will keep a couple of little ones when running out of Bacon!

There were a few big ones around last time I was down there, but didn't get a shot!

41149-a432c823d5071b98b3691a8c1814bc84.jpg

Attachments

• Feeder # 1.jpg
    Feeder # 1.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 80
the real names are Red Razor Backs hog. The only hog that I know off that doesn't crossbreed. The picture with my son and the 50cal muzzle loader give you a idea how bright the reddest of the hair. They have a sweet taste to them. Packrat do you have them in Texas?

I've killed a few of those. We call them ginger pigs. I've never seen them in Texas.
I've abandoned Florida as all the outfits want a crazy amount to hunt pigs. All I need to do is shoot two pigs a day while hunting my other stuff in Texas and it works out to be cheaper. They are free in Texas at the ranch I hunt. I went every year to Florida for the longest time and loved it. Much different hunting than Texas and I think a bit more fun. Issues with the guide ended that.

If you'll read again what i said, I said," if you have, absolutely have, to go in after a wounded hog".
Sometimes there just isn't any choice! When a hog, shown below, absorbes a 300 WM round a litle back of where it should have been hit, and then starts terrorizing the ranch house to the point where the women folk have to grab the tied up dogs and get inside, it's got to be taken down. I agree, if your not hunting your backyard, let the sucker go, but in this case there were also young kids on the adjoining ranch (1/4 mile) and the owner had already been attacked once in his own yard.

You just do what you have to do, and in those days when in the brush, I wore a custom made pair of hardened leather chaps that would supposedly (Maybe) stop a slash! Won't tell you my pucker strings weren't sucked up too about my waist and was constipated for a week, but one good thing was that hogs don't shoot back, so it wasn't as bad as some places I have been. Also, I think the brush in Florida is a little bit thicker than at the ranch, with about 15 - 20 foot visibility and usually you can smell them before you see them. BTW, didn't have a scale to weigh him so don't know what he weighed.

Just for a little variety, and since DJones isn't here to comment, back when I was razzing him about writing his life story, I made up a fictious book cover, and used one of the few hogs he didn't photo shop as the picture on the cover. We do get a few big ones out here, but they are not all that common, at least down where we are South of San Antonio.

View attachment 117285 View attachment 117286

Later

Packrat

I'll have to admit I miss DJ's posts on this thread. For all I know he lying face down in a gutter somewhere, but he could take and give grief with the best of them.

Not that I have ever seen, but only get down to the ranch a couple times per year. In fact, all of the last year was pretty much spent traveling, so didn't get down there at all. Am planning on a trip to Texas about the end of March and my brother is down there now, Deer hunting, and said the ranch is crawling with Whitetail Deer, but they haven't seen any hogs. I live in Arizona and from what I hear, they are slowly moving in here, but up North. Just like you, we don't eat the big ones, they are so rank, but will keep a couple of little ones when running out of Bacon!

There were a few big ones around last time I was down there, but didn't get a shot!

How much water is in northern Arizona? I've always thought of Arizona as a dry state. Pigs need water for cooling since they don't have sweat glands. Am I missing something??

Scrmblr,
About 30 - 50 miles North of Phoenix, the elevation starts climbing and there is a total change in plant life, topography, temperature and about everything else. At Flagstaff, the terran, and plant life would remind you of almost Eastern Washington/Oregon. Big pines, etc. There are also a number of rivers flowing through and around the the area called the Mongollan rim. Also down here in Southern Arizona, there are a number of rivers that flow periodically and a substantial number of springs. The reason the hogs haven't hit southern Arizona is that once leaving El Paso and all across the south of New Mexico, there are not many places that have open water. Water is there, but mostly underground and has to be drilled and pumped. the hogs just can't carry enough canteens to make it across the desert from El Paso to about Wilcox, Arizona. Arizona has quite a bit of water falling through what is called the monsoon season here, but it all goes underground fairly quickly. I.E. we may get 3" in an hour, but 2 hours later it has all sunk into the earth. And the 3" an hour is not an exaggeration. During the Monsoon season (July, August and Early Sept.) we may get 8-10" of rain, but it all happens at once, at different times,then disappears within hours. Hope I answered your question, if not query me again.

Yeah, I miss djones too, but it sure smells better around here with him gone!

Packrat

I've only been to Arizona once, and that was to Phoenix for a conference in 2005. The only grass I saw flying in was on golf courses and the outfield for the Diamondbacks stadium as we flew over. The terrain was beautiful and dry. I saw my first dust storm when I was there.

Most of the Golf courses in Arizona are watered with recycled water from the Sewage plants. Makes you want to stop and wonder what is on the golf ball when you pick it up. They claim that it is safe, but you'd have to ask djones about that with his level 3 sewage plant operator license. But, he may have been promoted by now and that's not bad for someone with basically a 6th grade education. He claims he has 16 years of schooling, but remember 7 of those years were in the 8th grade and he only got promoted because it was embarrassing to the staff that his beard was heavier than the teachers! Not by much, but she did shave every other day!

I do miss having him around to hassle, since it was so easy, but it sure is quieter since he left. What I miss most is the pictures, and his pathetic attemps at Photo shopping the pictures! Oh well!

Will get back later!

Speaking of djones, he spent so long in High School that he moonlighted as a bartender at the local watering hole. Would probably spent the next 5 years still in High School if he hadn't 86'd the principal of the High School one night from the bar and the Principal cooked up some scheme to suspend him indefinitly from the school. He finally managed after the 8th try to pass his IQ test and ended up with his diploma by GED.

Either that or I really suspect that he ordered one from a online site and filled in his name. I figure that if I keep putting all his confidential information on this website, he'll eventually quit lurketing and come in to defend his honor! If he has any!

ROFLMAO

Packrat

Last edited:
Bored, so am going to post some of the pictures in the archives of djones and Coy Franks back when they were respectable and before they shot out most of the hogs. About the only pigs djones sees now days are at the local watering hole where he usually leaves on his hands and knees!coy group.jpg Jones 5.jpg

The first one is djones and Coy on one of their infamous nights shooting up anything that moved. What isn't shown is the two cows and the neighbors dog djones shot by accident. Well not really by accident, he just starts pulling the trigger and can't stop! DON'T ever get ahead of him on a hunt!

And Coy got so excited about the whole thing, he had to play pocket pool, not knowing djones had triggered the camera! I forgot who is in the the 2nd picture is with djones. To the far right is one of the hogs that djones tried to pass off as the size of the truck when he moved it and photo shopped it!

These were the good old days of hog hunting!

Last edited:
I'm bummed! Went to check the bait pile and didn't see a single hog sign. Lots of deer tracks and nothing else. We added corn and some used cooking oil. We'll make another trip next week to recheck.

I'm bummed! Went to check the bait pile and didn't see a single hog sign. Lots of deer tracks and nothing else. We added corn and some used cooking oil. We'll make another trip next week to recheck.

This may sound dumb. Next to your bait pile, get a fresh pull off the truck or car Diesel oil filter the Dirty nasty smelly filter you can find. Let me know.

Scrmblr,
If you can't find a dirty, smelly oil filter from a Diesel, see if you can coerce djones to walk through the area! Hogs like dirty smelly things, and his miasma is enough to gag a maggot!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.