in search of guidance

TysonLeal

I have decided to rebarrel my howa 1500 SA from 22-250 to 6.5x284 and have pacnor do the work. This is my first "build" so most of my research has been based on assumptions versus experience. My two current challenge areas: Stock and barrel contour.

This rifle will be my primary hunter and used for Blacktail, hogs and Mulies. From a weight perspective a naked rifle in 8-9 range and 10-11 glassed and slung is fine. So the contour is important (it will have 4 flutes) and finished length will be 26-27 @ 1:8. My first thought was actually to build a light weight similar to the Weatherby Ultralight, but the more I read about this round, the speed and harmonics I have moved away from that idea to something a bit more substantial. 140's in the 2900-3100 range is my baseline load for this. 750 yds is about the longest shot ops on our properties, but stretching past that can happen, just haven't run into it consistently enough to tangle with it, we deal with wind quite a bit hence the high BC caliber selection. Can some of you please share some thoughts/wisdom for proper contour?

Next, based on the contour we would have to think about the stock. Most of our long stuff is done prone, cross canyon and from bags so an angled bottom is preferred. My biggest concern is the barrel channel to fit the proper contour. I understand it can be sanded out, but again I don't know by how much (this is where research versus practical experience is a real sonofabitch).

Appreciate any feedback you are willing to share.

Tyson

Sounds like you have a target weight to meet. Start looking at how much everything weighs. Either go light stock heavy barrel or regular stock w/ thinner barrel, those are your basic choices as they will be the bulk of your weight.

Most stocks will accommodate your countour until you start getting carried away or are considering a very narrow forearm. All this info should be found on manufactures websites.

Go with a factory varmint contour. Then look into a manners composite with the carbon fiber option. It's going to be pricey, but worth it in the end for weight savings. My only concern is the caliber of choice in a short action. You may run into feeding issues unless the new barrel is short throated. Then you'll run into seating depth problems to meet your feeding issues. Just a thought. May not be able to push it as hard as the bullet will be intruding on the boiler room of the case.

Liltank is correct on short action with that caliber. If you want to stay short action you might look at the 6.5 SAUM. Commercial brass to become available this summer. That will get you to those speeds with better barrel life and a short action. Just a thought. Bruce

Liltank is correct on short action with that caliber. If you want to stay short action you might look at the 6.5 SAUM. Commercial brass to become available this summer. That will get you to those speeds with better barrel life and a short action. Just a thought. Bruce

With the short action I would suggest a 6.5X47 He will have to open the bolt and true it anyways but going to a magnum face from a 22-250 isn't always gonna happen with out just buying a new bolt.

Got a 6.5X47. Just out and shot it about 1 hr ago. Great little cartridge. I'm getting almost 2900 fps with a 130 gr berger. Not to bad for only 42 grains of powder!. Bruce

I have decided to rebarrel my howa 1500 SA from 22-250 to 6.5x284 and have pacnor do the work. This is my first "build" so most of my research has been based on assumptions versus experience. My two current challenge areas: Stock and barrel contour.

This rifle will be my primary hunter and used for Blacktail, hogs and Mulies. From a weight perspective a naked rifle in 8-9 range and 10-11 glassed and slung is fine. So the contour is important (it will have 4 flutes) and finished length will be 26-27 @ 1:8. My first thought was actually to build a light weight similar to the Weatherby Ultralight, but the more I read about this round, the speed and harmonics I have moved away from that idea to something a bit more substantial. 140's in the 2900-3100 range is my baseline load for this. 750 yds is about the longest shot ops on our properties, but stretching past that can happen, just haven't run into it consistently enough to tangle with it, we deal with wind quite a bit hence the high BC caliber selection. Can some of you please share some thoughts/wisdom for proper contour?

Next, based on the contour we would have to think about the stock. Most of our long stuff is done prone, cross canyon and from bags so an angled bottom is preferred. My biggest concern is the barrel channel to fit the proper contour. I understand it can be sanded out, but again I don't know by how much (this is where research versus practical experience is a real sonofabitch).

Appreciate any feedback you are willing to share.

Tyson
If you want a repeater shooting high BC bullets like the Berger's and Accubond Long Range from Nosler you'll pretty well have to go to a long action.

With the Creedmore, .260 Rem, or 6.5x47L you'll be a whole lot better off.

As for the rest, I'd go with a 3.5 or 4 contour barrel and a lighter stock. More weight on the barrel end will reduce barrel rise on the shot and make it easier to get back on target to spot hits and/or make follow up shots.

Take your weight savings in the stock and optic by going with something like the McMillan Hunter's Edge or one of their other stocks with the "Edge Technology" using more carbon fiber and less fiberglass and composite and look at such scopes as the VX-7 Leupold vs Nightforce Tactical line or look at the NF SHV line.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.