In need of a 50cal range for competition events

6.5x300

Just got back from the Sportsman's challenge shoot. Did much better then I expected to. Shot a 300wm I put together on a savage action with a CBI 30" bull barrel. Had a blast and got to meet some of the great members of this site and other shooters as well. Think I placed 4th in the big game shoot, a half point away from taking home prizes. All in all a very good time shooting.

I enjoy all types of shooting competitions and love to compete with anything from rim fire to the big 50 BMG. I joined the FCSA (Fifty Cal Shooters Association), three years ago and now a couple times a year I take out my two 50BMG rifles and complete against other shooters for score and group size at 1,000 yrds. I am getting better and I'm even making my own 50 cal match bullets now.

The FCSA is .... well a bit stalled in its growth and I'm trying to find some new ranges to shoot and hold matches at in an attempt to boost interest, attendance and more matches. If any of you know of such a range that is equipped to accommodate the big fifties and has targets pits I would be very grateful to hear about it.

Here are a few pics of some various 50 cal components and the range I shoot at

Here is a look at the bullets I make and shoot out of the 50 BMG, an 825 grain match bullet I made from dies I machined myself.

[/URL]

and the guns I shoot them from

[/URL]

[/URL]

It is getting harder to find gun clubs that allow us to shoot these awesome calibers. What a lot of fun they are too. So far my best group is 7" at 1k with my own bullets. I am looking to break that this year. There are only a few gun ranges in the US that allow us to shoot these 50s in competition, I'm lucky to live within a three hour drive of one of these ranges.

Below is a rough map of the few locations that have a FCSA sanctioned shoot each year. It is marked with a 400 mile wide circle. I'm looking for some new areas in the locations outside of these circles, or heck even new locations close to them would be cool too. I'm thinking somewhere around Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Kansas City and maybe SW Texas could certainly benefit from a place to shoot and watch these awesome guns in action.

[/URL]

Here is a look at the "pits" that protect the scorer and allow us to score the targets quickly while the shooter is still on the clock.

and a look at the range I shoot/compete at

If you know of any gun ranges that might meet the requirements to allow such a match please feel free to let me know. If you are ever in the area of these matches I urge you to look into checking it out, ask to help in the pits, it is awesome to see the bullets strike the target and hear the crack of the bullet pass by. Ask questions from the shooters, I have known members to let others shoot their big 50s before!

Here is a link to the dates these matches will be held, the black circles on the map represent where they are. Certainly some of you must be in driving distance of these locations and would love to see, take part or even shoot a big 50BMG!

FCSA Match Dates - Fifty Caliber Shooters Association

Thanks for the help

Good shooting and swage on!

Brian Thurner

Come to think of it.... most you guys that attended the Sportsman challenge are only an hour drive away from the Tri-Cites gun club that I compete with the 50s at.

Check out the link!

https://www.tcsa.info/

Actually got a shoot coming up the end of this month! I'll be there! feel free to stop by and say hello if you like. Heck stay for a couple relays and work the pits with us. I think it is a pretty good time watching the bullets strike the target just 4 feet above your head!

Anyone can come watch!

Good shooting

Brian

What is the name and location of the range in Michigan? I have never heard of a FCSA match in Michigan before.

I think the range in MI is new to us just this year maybe? Hope you can make it out.

Anyone know of any ranges to fit the needs of a 50 cal match?

Thanks

BT

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.