In between 7mm-08 & .308

I picked up a 270 a couple months ago. 1951 Pre-64 M70zb. Beautiful rifle and that action….. Never gets old
Not particularly built for "long range," but I built a wildcat in .277 bore from a Creedmoor case and kept the usual .277 1:10 twist. I had it throated to the 110 Barnes TTSX and 130 grain Nosler BT (which were made to be identical in base-to-ogive in the dummy rounds for the gunsmith to measure by. I'm waiting on my stock to come in to get it all put together. I started this project 1 year ago last month when supplies were starting to dry up. My reasoning was that Creedmoor brass would be available more often than anything else (can use 6 or 6.5.... or .25, for that matter) and I could find lighter .277 bullets easier than heavy .277 bullets and way easier than any good .264 bullets on a consistent basis. I added an extra inch of barrel (25"), and hoping with the new powders (and some old ones) that I can match most factory .270 Win loads, and shoot flatter than those (Rem Core-Lokts, Win Power Points, Federal Classic, etc.) and be more accurate than the Win Deer Season ammo and similar out to 500 yds, which will be my limit for this project. We all know you couldn't find even 270 Win ammo during the fall and winter. Not trying to start any trends or break any records, just want to be able to load ammo and hunt when I get ready. I have 117 Hammer Hunters coming in tomorrow for the project, and will snag some 124s, as well. The 117s are right about .400 BC (identical to the SST 120 6.8). If they give the extra speed some have reported, I could get up to maybe 3200 ft/s going up in caliber and down in twist and needing slightly less barrel to burn powder. Might be a pipe dream, but we'll find out in a couple or 3 weeks!

Not particularly built for "long range," but I built a wildcat in .277 bore from a Creedmoor case and kept the usual .277 1:10 twist. I had it throated to the 110 Barnes TTSX and 130 grain Nosler BT (which were made to be identical in base-to-ogive in the dummy rounds for the gunsmith to measure by. I'm waiting on my stock to come in to get it all put together. I started this project 1 year ago last month when supplies were starting to dry up. My reasoning was that Creedmoor brass would be available more often than anything else (can use 6 or 6.5.... or .25, for that matter) and I could find lighter .277 bullets easier than heavy .277 bullets and way easier than any good .264 bullets on a consistent basis. I added an extra inch of barrel (25"), and hoping with the new powders (and some old ones) that I can match most factory .270 Win loads, and shoot flatter than those (Rem Core-Lokts, Win Power Points, Federal Classic, etc.) and be more accurate than the Win Deer Season ammo and similar out to 500 yds, which will be my limit for this project. We all know you couldn't find even 270 Win ammo during the fall and winter. Not trying to start any trends or break any records, just want to be able to load ammo and hunt when I get ready. I have 117 Hammer Hunters coming in tomorrow for the project, and will snag some 124s, as well. The 117s are right about .400 BC (identical to the SST 120 6.8). If they give the extra speed some have reported, I could get up to maybe 3200 ft/s going up in caliber and down in twist and needing slightly less barrel to burn powder. Might be a pipe dream, but we'll find out in a couple or 3 weeks!
That's going to be an awesome build. You gonna need to post some pics of it when it's done!

That's going to be an awesome build. You gonna need to post some pics of it when it's done!
I should have said, I designed a wildcat, because the build isn't done yet. I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, as this isn't between a 7mm-08 and .308, but it gives an idea of what one can do with available components. If one wants to be unique and has plenty of 7-08 brass onhand, a 7-08 AI might suit the job perfectly. Or similarly, I've got friends on other forums that sing the praises of the 7x57 AI. That will keep things in a short action (potentially) and keep weight down. I would think it much easier to get 7-08 brass than 7x57. The 7x64 also fits the definition of between 7-08 and 308, but is very similar to the 280 Rem. Just depends on what brass one can find the most of. There was lots of 7x64 brass left lying around about a year ago, but Ibthink some guys got smart and grabbed it to build one. It is a long action proposition, however. For under $1500 (was just under $1000 until recently), you can build something unique and amazing in your own shop once you have a few tools, and can have your own chamber dimensions and even your own cartridge, if you want something that isn't available. See photo attached. This just came off the bench and shot it's first group Saturday. Only had time for a fouling shot and 1 group, which was 1/2" . Never built one with a good barrel and proper headspacing and bedding that wouldn't print under 1/2 MOA. Didn't have time to scrub due to thunderstorms overhead, but it's just one example. I could spend another $200 and have the bolt and barrel fluted if I wanted it to look really cool. Another $125 would get an aftermarket trigger in ounces. You don't have to spend $4000 on a Bartlein, Defiance, Bix & Andy, and Manners to shoot the eye out of a Pronghorn across a canyon... If you're punching paper at over 1000 on a regular in competition, then that's a different scenario entirely. Consider this option if you're looking to spend over $1000.
20210704_235158.jpg
20210704_235145.jpg
20210704_235126.jpg

Oh yeah! I've got a Tikka 7mm-08 for my kids and it shoots!!! I've only shot 145s out of it, so I don't have issues with the throat angle, but I sure wouldn't trade it!
Oh , you might. If you try the Tikka CTR over the Tikka sporters 🤭
My first 7mm-08 was , is a Tikka CTR, I have a few Tikka in different chambering s bit the CTR is versatile and the 7-08 might be the most versatile thing you will find for medium game, youth and as a "Truck Gun"

My kids have been shooting and kill'n elk since they were about 8 years old. I download the 270WIN to have the kick of a 243WIN about 12-13lbs. 130gr bullets going about 2750fps. The shots are limited to under 300yds and they love shooting this load. they have killed 4 elk with this load and now my 16 year has killed with his 270WSM 140gr Hornady BTSP at 3150fps.
I would suggest looking into buying reduced recoil rounds or loading your own.

My kids have been shooting and kill'n elk since they were about 8 years old. I download the 270WIN to have the kick of a 243WIN about 12-13lbs. 130gr bullets going about 2750fps. The shots are limited to under 300yds and they love shooting this load. they have killed 4 elk with this load and now my 16 year has killed with his 270WSM 140gr Hornady BTSP at 3150fps.
I would suggest looking into buying reduced recoil rounds or loading your own.

That's awesome! parenting done right!

Reduced loads, good suggestion @LongRangeMullet

I have used ADI AR2206H, that is the equivalent of your Hogdon H4895, well Hogdon H4895 is AR2206H packaged by Hogdon.

You can safely make reduced loads using this powder. I have it confirmed by the manufacturer. It can safely be loaded at 60% of the maximum book load for reduced loads , confirm this with Hogdon.

I have done it in .308.

Perhaps a lighter mono like Barnes or Hammer might give you a good hog load in .308 getting penetrion from the monos .

Moving forward some people may never want a heavy load in a light rifle etc.

30creedmoor 🤪
= .30 TC. Actually, not a bad choice, but a custom proposition. I actually know where a couple of .30 TCs are sitting in the old TC Icon. One walnut and one synthetic. Also, .308 Marlin Express and .300 Savage. Can't come up with a 7mm case with right about 60 grains of capacity unless you Ackley Improve the 7mm Mauser. How about the 7x64 Brenneke? It's a little smaller than the .280, but is still a long action.

Reduced loads, good suggestion @LongRangeMullet

I have used ADI AR2206H, that is the equivalent of your Hogdon H4895, well Hogdon H4895 is AR2206H packaged by Hogdon.

You can safely make reduced loads using this powder. I have it confirmed by the manufacturer. It can safely be loaded at 60% of the maximum book load for reduced loads , confirm this with Hogdon.

I have done it in .308.

Perhaps a lighter mono like Barnes or Hammer might give you a good hog load in .308 getting penetrion from the monos .

Moving forward some people may never want a heavy load in a light rifle etc.
Hogdon says as long as the caliber and bullet weight are listed on their website for H4895 you can safely load to 60% of max. This is the powder I use for the downloads.

.308 with 130g TTSX or 124 HH traveling 3,100 to 3,200 fps. I have a Kimber 84M Hunter set up for my daughter and crushes it out to 400 yards. This rifle is lightweight and loud but recoil is manageable (without brake).

.308 with 130g TTSX or 124 HH traveling 3,100 to 3,200 fps. I have a Kimber 84M Hunter set up for my daughter and crushes it out to 400 yards. This rifle is lightweight and loud but recoil is manageable (without brake).
dont forget the 260 rem. loaded with a good bullet, hammer. barnes ttsx, they perform fantastic. for all you 6.5 creed lovers, it is actually superior.

You certainly don't hear that truth spoken enough these days.
loaded 120 gr ttsx for my daughter to use in a kimber 260, for use in africa. everyone scoffed it wouldnt do the job except on small antelope. nobody was doubting by the end of the safari. kudu, blesbok, red hartebeast, gemsbok , and lastly a big zebra stallion. they all suggested she use my 375 rum, but, she put that 120 through both shoulders, lungs and heart. he went obout 30 yds. had my sako 308 rebarreled to 260! very impressive performance, and my south african ph was very impressed.