In between 7mm-08 & .308

Try some lighter bullets that still work on deer and you'll be amazed how less the rifle kicks. You can also add some weight in the stock or under the barrel to help.

In My 308 Savage110, medium heavy barrel, my current target load is 41.7 Grns of 3031 to push a 115 Grn Berger FB Target Bullet. The recoil is very mild. If I wanted to shoot game, and modest ranges , I would increase the load to between 42.0 grns and 43.0 grns of 3031 .

Attachments

• IMG_1682.JPG
    IMG_1682.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
Those vais brakes work really well, Thunderbeast arms brake/suppressor combo even better. Have used both on custom 6 pound 300 W.M. Both are very effective.

Last edited:
Is there something in between a 7-08 and .308? My son wants bigger, but the .308 has too much kick.
Stick with the 7-08 and use 140s. Even lighter if needed to reduce recoil. 120 grainers are great deer bullets also. Recoil should be mild. Another option is going bigger but going heavier on the rifle. I shoot a 284 and it's around 14lbs. I shoot 162s and it hardly pushes me much. Very mild.

How about getting a 270?
Not really going to help the recoil sensitivity...though recoil is so subjective to a host of factors. Unless I missed something, the OP'er hasn't posted more than once since his OP. No use wasting our time on this thread if he's not serious about his question/problem. We haven't received responses to important questions asked by various posters regarding relevant factors of consideration in order to give pertinent counsel. Why play the game?

Most people have a love hate relationship with brakes. I certainly do. They really help shooting comfort but the noise level is horrible. Not a fan of ear protection when hunting so that is the biggest negative for me. Some say they really like electronic hearing protection while hunting. Wish I shared that feeling.
I understand where you're coming from. I don't particularly like wearing hearing protection while hunting. But after suffering significant hearing loss I'm a huge advocate of them. And since I hunt alone I'm now considering a muzzle brake on some rifles.