In between 7mm-08 & .308

the ask was for in between 7mm 08 and 308, not below...oh that's right the 6.5 crudmoor is superior to all calibers with no recoil and its serious drop in energy past 600 yards.
Ah come on - don't hurt the Creedmoor's feelings. ;) Actually, in my experience with both, the little 6.5 CM with higher sectional density and BC in comparable weight class projos - is really about the same park as the 7-08. And, even if it hurts my ego to say it, in reality its such a nice-shooting cartridge that works swell for deer-sized game. Awesome youth cartridge IMHO... Now I said it ;)

With u here. Superior to 308.
Huh, the 7mm 08 superior to the 308? Best load here is 178gr eldx at ~2700 fps w/ 308 compare to 7mm-08, 150gr eldx at ~2790. 308 drop is 45 inches at 500 versus 7mm 08 drop of 42.

If you want to compare apples w/ apples, the 308 pushes 150 gr bullets at a higher MV of between ~2850-2900 fps. More energy at a higher muzzle velocity, drop is 44" with a even a lower BC bullet. Clearly superior? I think not...plus I value the better 30 cal availability of bullets over 7mm (at least in a couple of areas I have lived in).

VTbluegrass - I agree. The 7-08 is an outstandingly efficient little cartridge with potential to punch over its size if loaded right. Hammer bullets will leverage it even more.
My fave is ttsx barnes but all you said here is, on the money!

Huh, the 7mm 08 superior to the 308? Best load here is 178gr eldx at ~2700 fps w/ 308 compare to 7mm-08, 150gr eldx at ~2790. 308 drop is 45 inches at 500 versus 7mm 08 drop of 42.

If you want to compare apples w/ apples, the 308 pushes 150 gr bullets at a higher MV of between ~2850-2900 fps. More energy at a higher muzzle velocity, drop is 44" with a even a lower BC bullet. Clearly superior? I think not...plus I value the better 30 cal availability of bullets over 7mm (at least in a couple of areas I have lived in).
Yeah I'm with you on the facts. It's just that he's trying to knock recoil and will have to push something less than 150 gr to really do that. In the lower weight class the 7-08 does well - thinking Hammers (to ring the bell again) ;) So with that, we aren't working with an apples to apples scenario. But, you know, the classic 308 with light Hammers can do some amazing things too. I think guys on here are running 124 HH's pretty fast out of 308's. Eh ButterBean? 😎

.30 caliber Elk rifle is the plan. The 7mm-08 is mostly limited to 140's. I've seen some 150's out there, not many. The .308 has a wider range of heavier bullets.
the blur - maybe we misunderstood the recoil problem/question. I don't know what rifle your 308 is, but there are things you can look at doing to the rifle itself that will make a difference. Is that what you had in mind? We filled your thread with blather about bullet weights and calibers. Some useful info throughout, but maybe clarify a little and we can help you better.