In between 7mm-08 & .308

Look at it that every gun recoil differently. My son is a bean pole. He didn't care for 308, my 7/08 kicks more (2lbs lighter).
He watches me shoot my M70 338WM (9lbs w/ scope) says, "can I shoot this one?" I tell him it's too much recoil, but let him shoot it. It's now his favorite gun.

Last edited:
If the 7-08 is the current rifle switching to a reduced recoil/light weight bullet in the 308 is literally getting another rifle/barrel just for the sake of another rifle/barrel. Physics is like that, more power comes with more recoil. Sending the force elsewhere via a heavier gun, better recoil pad, or a brake are really the only solutions to the problem.

If a 7mm-08 can't do it the 308 win is not likely gonna do it either. Elk and the similar sized African animals you mention won't know the difference for sure.

Also another vote for putting a Hammer Bullet down range.

A heavier bullet in the 7-08.
Yup,.. THIS ^^^
The 7mm-08 with, some 168 gr Berger HVLD's and a hefty charge of, StaBall powder, becomes, a Whole Nother,.. "Animal",.
Capable of reaching out to,.. 700-800 Yards,.. IF,.. you can "do" your part" !
And,.. the 120 NBT's are GREAT for, the Kids, to start on !
An Impressive lil' Round for sure ! My son, uses one and IT "can" reach out and "stay with", my .270 WSM past, 500 yards !
Launched at, 2760 FPS his load is still going,.. OVER 2,000 FPS at,.. 800 Yards !

Last edited:
I still vote for the 308 win. But i admit I'd like to see what a straight 7-08 with a 180 gr Hybrid or ELDM is capable of. I figure maybe 2550 fps would be common but I wonder if you could get closer to 2700 fps. That would be wicked.

Is there something in between a 7-08 and .308? My son wants bigger, but the .308 has too much kick.
Many years ago, I had a gunsmith turn a Weatherby Vanguard .308 into a grandkids rifle. My grandson, who was 10 at the time, was our model for determining how the stock needed to be modified, what brake to use and what type of kick pad. We ended up shortening the stock 1 1/4 inches, installed a Gentry brake and a Limbsaver pad. The piece that was cut off the stock has a Limbsaver pad on it and it can be easily replaced on the stock as the kid grows. I had some 165 gr hand loads to shoot. He was fitted with some good muffs and he shot 20 rounds from a bench, and wanted to shoot more. A friend who was going on a safari and taking his 10 year old son, hear about my Grandkid rifle and asked if his son could try it out. He did and shot very well with it. He shot 5 animals with it and only a zebra required a second shot. My grandson used the rifle until he got big enough to handle a .300 WSM. This rifle has been handed down for over 25 years and is currently being used by my hunting partner's grandson. Having the rifle fit them properly when they are starting out, is in my opinion, as important as the brake or pad.

I still vote for the 308 win. But i admit I'd like to see what a straight 7-08 with a 180 gr Hybrid or ELDM is capable of. I figure maybe 2550 fps would be common but I wonder if you could get closer to 2700 fps. That would be wicked.
That would be fun. The OP is looking for minimal recoil, so we were counseling together about some lighter loads instead of heavier that will keep him in comfort zone but still high on performance. That's where the Hammers come in. (wink, wink) ;)