In between 7mm-08 & .308

There're pretty much two peas in a pod. One will pretty much do whatever the can do.
Assuming you're a reloader...
Properly loaded a 7mm-08 should be good for elk or moose, I think -- I'm not sure what your son is hunting.
But if you have a 308 and want a lighter recoil the easiest is to use 130 grain TSX or TTSX (I'd choose the TTSX unless your 308 likes the TSX better.
I had a Ruger 77 in 7mm RM and I thought it kicked too much as it slapped me in the face when I pulled the trigger. I replaced the stock and now it is pleasant to shoot -- so maybe that is the issue with your 308, that is the stock doesn't fit your son and that well make it feel like too much recoil.

I gave up on .30 cals a long time ago as 7mms will do most everything I need. And there's the .375 Ruger to do what a 7mm won't.

That said, it sounds like you've already decided on a .308, so it's really a question of managing recoil. Make sure the stock fits; add a good recoil pad and a good muzzle brake. Shoot reduced recoil loads for practice.

Neutering the 308 with a lighter bullet or reduced load is just going to make it equal to or less capable then the 7mm-08. There is nothing I would hunt with a 308 that I wouldn't hunt with a good stout 7mm-08 load. 7mm-08 rules supreme at my house for all the smaller shooters and even this old fat one sometimes.

I would not see the 308 as a progressive step over the 7/08 if you're trying to curb recoil. Doing what you need to do with a 308 to tame recoil (other than a brake) will get you down to light bullets that will have less sectional density and lower BC's than the same weight class in the 7mm. You'll be further ahead with the right loads in the 7mm. And I reference my previous post regarding the 131 Hammer Hunters... You would not be disappointed. You can even drop down to a lighter Hammer and run them faster. Either way, they are absolutely above their class in capability and terminal performance. If you're set on the 308 just because you like the bigger number and want a different gun, you can still run light Hammers or like some others say, the less precise Barnes for some cost savings.

Another vote for the 7-08. I shoot one w/ 162 ELDM @ 1K matches. Outruns the 308 hands down.

Wife's 7-08 w/ 140G Accubonds killed 6 animals with 6 shots in Africa, Springbok, Impala, Blesbok, Gemsbok, Kudu, & Zebra. She's 5'2" and gun weighs 8 lbs. scoped. I put a Limbsaver on and and a brake. Pretty sure 7-08 will kill an elk w/ proper bullet placement. Working up a load now w/ 131g Hammer Hunter bullets. They are screamers (pushing 3000 fps) and make puddles of the bullet holes. Good luck w/ whatever you decide.

I have no qualms shooting elk with a 7mm-08 TSX factory load that would be solved by shooting a 308. They're just so close it's not worth the expense to switch.
I have a 18" extra barrel is the only reason and I figured I'd have it spun up. Primarily will be run suppressed. The lighter 7mm bullets are much better ballistically for sure. I'll probably run the 137 or less hammer in the 308 and the 7 Hammers as well in the 7-08.

Is there something in between a 7-08 and .308? My son wants bigger, but the .308 has too much kick.
If you reload you can load lighter bullets with a slower burn rate powder with the minimum load recommended by the powder manufacturer and that will tame the recoil some. A brake will lessen the recoil tremendously but he'll need good hearing protection

I have both a Remington 700 BDL .308 and and X-Bolt 7mm-08. I prefer the 7mm-08 at the range - it definitely shoots flatter. I also like the 7mm-08 for hunting elk, every time it's been one & done.
I'd tell your son that 7mm's are a great family, and a .308 has just a little more lead than a 7mm-08. If he wants more power go to a braked 7mm mag or an '06; plus there is lighter recoil ammo, correct Idahohunter1?

Last edited: