In between 7mm-08 & .308

If you have a Remington 700 or a Howa/Weatherby you can get a Blackhawk Axiom recoil reducing stock. Optics Planet is where I got mine. It works great and since the stock is adjustable it can be made to fit anyone.

I have a buddy that's been hammering cow elk with the 7-08 and 120 grainTTSX bullets for the last few years. He said he wouldn't be afraid to use them on a big bull at reasonable ranges. I've never owned a 7-08, I've always preferred a .270 Win.

We still don't know how old the son is, but I wouldn't go heavier with a rifle. I witnessed my daughter give up on her first elk hunt because I was too physically demanding for her, when she was 12 years old carrying a 9.5 lb .300 Savage and along with her other gear. That's when I bought the Howa Alpine and invested in othe lighter gear for her and now she's a mountain hunting fool.

This was my Father's Day shooting that I did with A270 win with loads I had developed they are doing well 140 grain acubond That I was reloading 3.530 from the tip of the bullet to the back of the casing I don't have a compensator to figure out the other way also 52 grains of IMR4831 and they were doing fantastic I'm gonna move up 3 thousands times 3 rounds each till I hit 5340 and then I'm going to go we 2 go down 3 thousands 3 thousands and see how Many it takes to pull the the group and tighter So the upper leftCorner is the 270 with the low side developed the lower far right corner were 2 factory hornedy E LDX 145 they actually shoot quite well for factory Ammo I'm hoping I can make this attack driver it is a Remington model 700 Walmart special 270

Attachments

• 20210621_203332.jpg
    20210621_203332.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
To answer ur question exactly - 270 or a 280AI. Soft easy recoiling cartridges with adequate bullet mass and velocity...now lets open the question up a bit, whats your definition of big game? In mine all these listed are inadequate...only the 308 with a 180 to a 200 grain Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame is sufficent and you better be inside 250 yards. If 308 is too much recoil with a brake, get out of the game...

Have a smith install a quality brake or upgrade the stock, or both. It's amazing what a premium stock and a good brake can do for felt recoil.

Also, on a side note, from an external ballistics standpoint and hunting range standpoint, there really isn't much of a difference between 7-08 or 308. 150-168 grain 7mm vs 160-180 grain .308 kill pretty similar. Ammo availability for your area may be the factor to consider. Pick the one that feels right and make a few minor upgrades. Your boy will be happy. The best part is getting him out hunting. Kudos to you for that.

Is there something in between a 7-08 and .308? My son wants bigger, but the .308 has too much kick.

We are on the fourth page and still have not heard from the op the age/size of his son.

He partially responded on the second page.

.30 caliber Elk rifle is the plan. The 7mm-08 is mostly limited to 140's. I've seen some 150's out there, not many. The .308 has a wider range of heavier bullets.

With current bullet technology and monolithic bullets, I wouldn't say you're at a disadvantage using light for caliber bullets on elk.

7-08 is a wonderful cartridge. From 120 + bullets.

Yes it is and you can't ignore the 120gr Ballistic Tips, they are accurate and deadly on deer and javelinas.

That's the beauty of this cartridge, you can load it light or heavy. For kids with 120gr to 150gr bullets the recoil is very manageable and even with heavier bullets the recoil is minimal.

For example the BC on the 150gr ELD-X make its a great longer range bullet that still has little recoil for kids or a smaller frame hunter.

Nothing wrong with a 7/08. Load it up with 131 HH's, and there's nothing it won't do that a 308 will. Your son will have a rifle that shoots comfortable and will have terminal performance you haven't seen with factory loads.