In between 7mm-08 & .308

CBH Australia

@the blur

I have both in Tikka rifles and I've had 2 other .308 sporters.

My brother has a Browning X Bolt timber stock and is has a short sharp kick.

I've shot all sorts of projectiles from my .308 up to 180gn soft point factory rounds.

I run a Limbsaver recoil pad and I think it makes a lot of difference onany rifle.

My brother has had a Brake fitted and it reduces recoil and increases the perceived blast at least what the shooter hears. I sat near one at the range , Yey. I don't think .308 need them.

Consider running lighter copper bullets in lieu of heavy bullets for Elk.

Consider a Limbsaver.

Consider his hearing if you choose the brake option.

I reload I have used plenty of 125 Nosler BT from the .308 as I was aiming at faster and flatter with low recoil for shooting from a vehicle targeting pests up to hog size every chance I got.

The shorter Tikka CTR is the truck gun now but maybe it's just the right .308 with the right load you need.

wv270wsm

.30 caliber Elk rifle is the plan. The 7mm-08 is mostly limited to 140's. I've seen some 150's out there, not many. The .308 has a wider range of heavier bullets.
I completely understand the whole bigger bullet bigger hole in said animal especially an elk. But in all honesty I don’t believe between the 7 mm08 and the 308 on elk sized game there will be much difference. Now if you increased the case size as to say going up to 30-06 or bigger that there would be substantial difference.
If it were me I’d get me some of them there hammer bullets for the 7 mm08 and let them babies eat . They will hold together better and you can run them very hard to keep velocities up, and the way everyone praises them they kill exceptionally well

LVJ76

LRH Team Member
.30 caliber Elk rifle is the plan. The 7mm-08 is mostly limited to 140's. I've seen some 150's out there, not many. The .308 has a wider range of heavier bullets.

The 7mm-08 is not at all limited to 140gr or 150gr bullets, if you reload that is.

We shoot 160gr, 162gr and 168gr bullets out of our 7mm-08's, with the higher BC's they outrun the 308 Win.

MAD10

The 7/08 with the right bullet hands down is a much better cartridge and the recoil even with a 162 ELDM is very mild… provided you have a correctly configured stock and weight ratio

JMB 1911

Go to a long action gun maybe .280?? or 30/06 it will generally be a slightly heavier gun so have less felt recoil then the .308 or install a break

Will Gray

Have your son shoot more. Be sure he knows how to hold the gun to reduce recoil effects: pull the gun into your shoulder -- take the slack out of the body, have a good stock that does not slap his cheek. Get a jacket with a shoulder pad.

xsn10s

Is there something in between a 7-08 and .308? My son wants bigger, but the .308 has too much kick.
You know one option might be to use a 308 with a 24 inch standard weight barrel. Add a laminated stock which will be heavier than a light synthetic stock. Also IMO a wood stock absorbs some of the recoil where a composite kevlar stock transmits the recoil more due to being stiffer. Add a nice recoil pad like a limbsaver and see how that works. Buy some reduced recoil ammunition, or load some if you reload.

Recent Posts