In between 7mm-08 & .308

People keep forgetting the reason for the 6.5 CM was to fit longer bullets within the col requirements of short magazines. It isn't magic. Just a shortened (and therefore less case capacity) 260. - dan

I should have said, I designed a wildcat, because the build isn't done yet. I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, as this isn't between a 7mm-08 and .308, but it gives an idea of what one can do with available components. If one wants to be unique and has plenty of 7-08 brass onhand, a 7-08 AI might suit the job perfectly. Or similarly, I've got friends on other forums that sing the praises of the 7x57 AI. That will keep things in a short action (potentially) and keep weight down. I would think it much easier to get 7-08 brass than 7x57. The 7x64 also fits the definition of between 7-08 and 308, but is very similar to the 280 Rem. Just depends on what brass one can find the most of. There was lots of 7x64 brass left lying around about a year ago, but Ibthink some guys got smart and grabbed it to build one. It is a long action proposition, however. For under $1500 (was just under $1000 until recently), you can build something unique and amazing in your own shop once you have a few tools, and can have your own chamber dimensions and even your own cartridge, if you want something that isn't available. See photo attached. This just came off the bench and shot it's first group Saturday. Only had time for a fouling shot and 1 group, which was 1/2" . Never built one with a good barrel and proper headspacing and bedding that wouldn't print under 1/2 MOA. Didn't have time to scrub due to thunderstorms overhead, but it's just one example. I could spend another $200 and have the bolt and barrel fluted if I wanted it to look really cool. Another $125 would get an aftermarket trigger in ounces. You don't have to spend $4000 on a Bartlein, Defiance, Bix & Andy, and Manners to shoot the eye out of a Pronghorn across a canyon... If you're punching paper at over 1000 on a regular in competition, then that's a different scenario entirely. Consider this option if you're looking to spend over $1000. View attachment 284629View attachment 284630View attachment 284631
Thats a beautiful stock

People keep forgetting the reason for the 6.5 CM was to fit longer bullets within the col requirements of short magazines. It isn't magic. Just a shortened (and therefore less case capacity) 260. - dan
True it was designed with a longer neck for longer bullets this allowing more case capacity BUT for short actions. The 260 was also built on short actions by Remington back in the early to mid 90s when it became the .260 but since, more guys are building them on long actions where more case capacity is available. With a 2.8 OAL, the CM would certainly offer possibly a bit more case capacity but with both cases using their most case capacity, the .260 will offer more available space. Not trying to pick fly **** out of pepper but it's just what it is.

It's very interesting that:

Creedmoor fans are correct when they say the Creed is "superior" to the 260 - when loaded with longer bullets at 2.800" COAL.

260 fans are correct when they say the 260 is "superior" to the creedmoor - when hand loaded to COAL longer than the standard SA mag box.

guys just like to post stuff to trigger others, I guess.

Creedmoor fans are correct when they say the Creed is "superior" to the 260 - when loaded with longer bullets at 2.800" COAL.

260 fans are correct when they say the 260 is "superior" to the creedmoor - when hand loaded to COAL longer than the standard SA mag box.

triggered GIF

Some things just need to be spelled out because it's apparently not that simple. Being pretty non-biased about either cartridge, they both have an advantage the other does not. Pretty much the beauty of having a choice.

Some things just need to be spelled out because it's apparently not that simple. Being pretty non-biased about either cartridge, they both have an advantage the other does not. Pretty much the beauty of having a choice.
i am with you! very close. i am just tired of the voices that applaud the 6.5 and turn their noses up at the 260. when both are loaded in a short action the 260 has slight edge, but ,it is and edge. i would never suggest someone throw either out for the other, but ask first what is the intended use. the 260 is almost exclusively loaded from factories for hunting use. the 6.5 from the get go was loaded for long range match shooting, at a reasonable price, with match appropriate bullets. i for one like, own, and use both! if im hunting and want this type of round ,i pick up my 260, if i am match shooting i will use one of my 2, 6.5 creeds. another great round is the 6.5 x 55.

i am with you! very close. i am just tired of the voices that applaud the 6.5 and turn their noses up at the 260. when both are loaded in a short action the 260 has slight edge, but ,it is and edge. i would never suggest someone throw either out for the other, but ask first what is the intended use. the 260 is almost exclusively loaded from factories for hunting use. the 6.5 from the get go was loaded for long range match shooting, at a reasonable price, with match appropriate bullets. i for one like, own, and use both! if im hunting and want this type of round ,i pick up my 260, if i am match shooting i will use one of my 2, 6.5 creeds. another great round is the 6.5 x 55.
Well I understand the lack of respect for the 260 since the arrival of the 6.5CM. It's the latest and greatest mentality. I own that mentality to some degree so understand. All that have owned and loaded for both do know the difference. Both are great cartridges.

Well I understand the lack of respect for the 260 since the arrival of the 6.5CM. It's the latest and greatest mentality. I own that mentality to some degree so understand. All that have owned and loaded for both do know the difference. Both are great cartridges.
amen

But….which cartridge kills them deader Then dead? None. The projectile does. So.. I'm assuming we'll all agree that say a 130gr pill with say 1200ft/lb at the animal will kill em all DEAD. MOOSE, BEAR, WT DEER, YOTES,ECT; I respect any rifle that puts food in the freezer. Including .22 cal.
Although this whole thread (and others) has been interesting.
Watch the YouTube guy "simply minded fella" he summarized this debate (not specifically the 260) well WRT 308/6.5/7-08
i think it's good information.

Here my thought. Get the 308 and have a good brake installed on it. I have the 7mm-08 and if you shoot heavy then its no difference and honestly I cant tell the difference between the 308 and the 7mm-08 as for recoil. I put a brake on my 7mm-08. Not because it kicked to much but just to improve my groups cause I want them small. The other thought is if you dont reload 308 is the only ammo I still see in stores and I see 30 cal bullets and brass still on shelves. For a ballistics the 7mm-08 will probably win on this.

I had this same debate for my son, but ended up going with the 7mm-08. I plan on using it occasionally and under normal conditions ammo is easily found.

Back to the original topic.
This is only my 2 cents... I have a 308 sporter barreled Rem 700 rifle that is SWEET SWEET when loaded with 125 BT whitetail rounds. Several youngters have used it and smiled when looking down at their deer.
My buddy has a Tikka T3Lite in 7mm-08 that I sighted in with 139 grain American Whitetail bullets and would violently jump off of my bags where I couldn't see where it went. It shot great but recoil was worse than my 308 with 125's and at least equal to 150 loads!
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah... Ballistically better...right?
How far will that kid actually shoot?
That is my point!
IT IS ALL RELATIVE!!
Let em shoot what they are comfortable with!

Last edited: