IMR8133 & 212gr ELDX

idcwby

Got a 300 RUM and was going to try some IMR 8133 with the 212gr ELDX. From what load data I can determine max should come around 92gr, does this sound right? Anyone try this combo?

Thanks

Following this! I've got both for one of my runs. Just not got around to working up a load yet.

sounds about correct.

I ran 89 gr of RL25 and got 3030 fps easy. Now 8133 is quite a bit slower than RL 25 so you should be good. I would start at 90 and work up slowly

Went with 88gr today to do a seating depth test.
468A1123-63FC-4128-87C4-FC2BEA255C13.png

First number in the series is the depth off the lands, next three were the velocity. There wasn't any noticeable difference in group size to say one was better than the other.

Is the rifle a custom or factory? Do you have an accuracy expectation? The one 300rum I loaded for settled in nicely @ 89.0gr h1000 @3065fps.

I would take the .060 load and work up in .3-.4gr increments.

Mine is a 26" plus 2" brake, it is throated for 230 berger and at 92.5 of imr8133 I got 3089avg fps sd of 5 over 10 rounds. .040" off the lands with gunwerks and ADG brass with fed215m primers. I have found that with imr8133 that near max and max gives best ES and clean burn at the lower node it was super dirty and ok ES. Like 20.
From my tests it is very temp stable from 20° to 95°
Have used it in 338 lapua great results, 300rum great results, 28nos great results with heavy bullets, ok in 300wm with 215 berger, crap with 7mm mag and ok with 264wm and 156 berger.

Is the rifle a custom or factory? Do you have an accuracy expectation? The one 300rum I loaded for settled in nicely @ 89.0gr h1000 @3065fps.

I would take the .060 load and work up in .3-.4gr increments.
Custom. Has a 28" proof barrel with 1-8twist. I do have an accuracy expectation but not for this load, this load is just to get 100 rounds down the tube and get me through hunting season this year. After doing a ladder yesterday, this powder seems to fall between Retumbo and RL33, slower than Retumbo and faster than RL33 from my experiences. Went with the 0.020" off the lands because that's what my die was setup for.

image.jpg

Nice. I think you have a good plan. Get your barrel settled and brass all to 1x fired. Did it seem like 92 was the top or still more room to go?

I'd then retest to find your top charge with 1x and start looking for accuracy.

Custom. Has a 28" proof barrel with 1-8twist. I do have an accuracy expectation but not for this load, this load is just to get 100 rounds down the tube and get me through hunting season this year. After doing a ladder yesterday, this powder seems to fall between Retumbo and RL33, slower than Retumbo and faster than RL33 from my experiences. Went with the 0.020" off the lands because that's what my die was setup for.

View attachment 215896
What is the ES and SD
Are these 3 shot average FPS or more?
If so 91.5-92 there is a node.

Nice. I think you have a good plan. Get your barrel settled and brass all to 1x fired. Did it seem like 92 was the top or still more room to go?

I'd then retest to find your top charge with 1x and start looking for accuracy.
Couldn't tell the difference in brass or bolt lift from 88-92. With this setup I wouldn't be afraid to push some more, not know much about the powder is my only concern if it spikes fast or not.

I got 200 rounds of new brass so I'm trying to decide after this if I use the 100 1x fires or go ahead and break in the other 100.

What is the ES and SD
Are these 3 shot average FPS or more?
If so 91.5-92 there is a node.
The only ES and SD data so far is from my seating depth data in post five. These where all one shots, except the 88 and I loaded two just to make sure I was on paper good enough to do this. The 91.5-92 had a node, but the wind came up on 90.5 and than I didn't trust what I was seeing on the paper.
I loaded up 88.5-89.5 in 0.2 increments because that was another node and it showed on paper good and it was prewind. This is what I got when I shot that:
image.jpg

All single shots.

I know I'm not doing this as precise as some like to, but like I stated early this is just to get 100 rounds down the tube and get through this hunting season. Figured I'd share what I'm getting for results with this powder because it's relatively new.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.