Imr 8133 load data

Gunnut300

What load data are you guys using for 8133? The hodgon website is very limited to bullets, im shooting hornady 180s and 220s eldx in 300rum and cannot find anything for those. Since its so close to retumbo can i use those specs backed off a bit?

I ran the data through QL. I did not see a 180 ELDX on the list, so I selected the 178 grain ELDX instead. Assumed 24" barrel. All other input was preset.

Attachments

• 300 RUM178 ELDX IMR 8133.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 300 RUM 220 ELDX IMR 8133.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 151
I just looked on Hodgdon site for 8133 data for 300 RUM and found data for Speer 180 and nosler partition 220. Why can't you use those start loads and work up? They also had data for Barnes bullet.
Yes i seen they have info for the speer and barnes 180 but the charges are way different. The speer starting load is one grain from the barnes max load. Im just getting into reloading and am playing it safe. I was just asking if there was any more reloading data besides what i can find.

Just a heads up I loaded 82.5 grains of 8133 today in my 7mm STW and it was HOT. Hogdon Load Data showed max load 84.5 grains for 160 grain SP and I was shooting a 168 grain Berger VLD. I had it loaded 0.010 off the lands. I ended up having to pull all the bullets and start over. I'm backing down to start at 78 grains.

For another example, I am loading 78 gr. 8133 behind a 180 Berger VLD in .300 PRC with no noticed pressure signs.

Here is a link to 8133 on Hornady website:

You can scroll down to where cartridge and bullet weight are selected - would not let me create a direct link.

For some reason, the site is kinda flaky from my phone and I could not choose just any particular bullet with that cartridge, but was able to find data for 180 & 220 gr. in 300 RUM here.

Just a heads up I loaded 82.5 grains of 8133 today in my 7mm STW and it was HOT. Hogdon Load Data showed max load 84.5 grains for 160 grain SP and I was shooting a 168 grain Berger VLD. I had it loaded 0.010 off the lands. I ended up having to pull all the bullets and start over. I'm backing down to start at 78 grains.
I had a very similar experience with IMR-4451 and it also seemed to peak out quickly with few signs of it getting hotter until suddenly max. I was only working up in .3 gr increments.

Yes i seen they have info for the speer and barnes 180 but the charges are way different. The speer starting load is one grain from the barnes max load. Im just getting into reloading and am playing it safe. I was just asking if there was any more reloading data besides what i can find.
Barnes copper bullets are a different animal. They require a much higher start pressure and won't appear the same as a cup and core bullet.

I had a very similar experience with IMR-4451 and it also seemed to peak out quickly with few signs of it getting hotter until suddenly max. I was only working up in .3 gr increments.
4955 does the same thing. No pressure signs until big ones...Nothing, nothing, nothing, bolt locked up....nothing in between. 8133 has been great for me in 300 win mag compressed with 225 elds.

Loaded a mid range charge per Hodgdon load data of 8133 for my 30/378. It was very hot. Almost separated a few cases and very heavy bolt opening. There was no accuracy unless I was trying to hit a large barn. Sticking with Retumbo which I was trying to conserve.

What load data are you guys using for 8133? The hodgon website is very limited to bullets, im shooting hornady 180s and 220s eldx in 300rum and cannot find anything for those. Since its so close to retumbo can i use those specs backed off a bit?
I used 89.1grs with 212 ELDX for a velocity of 2955fps, this was out of a 28" tube and seemed like I could've went higher in charge weight. From talking with people it seems the gun either liked this powder or hates it and sounds like there is good lot to lot variations with charge weights.

I run 8133 in my 28 Nosler with 195s. 3084 easily, no pressure. Hit 3140 where I got a touch of bolt lift, enough to just feel the difference.
Crazy good accuracy, but I would bet that is the Axisworks rifle more than the powder choice. Low ES too.

For another example, I am loading 78 gr. 8133 behind a 180 Berger VLD in .300 PRC with no noticed pressure signs.

Here is a link to 8133 on Hornady website:

You can scroll down to where cartridge and bullet weight are selected - would not let me create a direct link.

For some reason, the site is kinda flaky from my phone and I could not choose just any particular bullet with that cartridge, but was able to find data for 180 & 220 gr. in 300 RUM here.