IMR 7977 for 7mm-08 A.I. ?

WYOHTF

I bought a bunch of IMR 7977 two years ago thinking I would use it in my 7RM not being able to find any H1000 or R23.
Does anybody have any suggestions for loading it in the 7mm-08A.I. Or if it will even work ?
I don't have Quick Load yet and have found bits and pieces of info but nothing solid enough to start using it.

Last edited:
Should have mentioned I'm planning on running 140gr HH''s and or 150 eldx's if and when I can find them

I have never heard of 4977 did you mean 7977 if you did this will not work in your 7-08 a.i. look at the hodgdon or nosler loading data and work up from the standard 7-08 caught that its posted correctly in the heading just not in the post sorry

I have never heard of 4977 did you mean 7977 if you did this will not work in your 7-08 a.i. look at the hodgdon or nosler loading data and work up from the standard 7-08 caught that its posted correctly in the heading just not in the post sorry
I have to watch my dyslexic thumbs, lol 😂
I was thinking of an old load for 4064 most likely.
I edited it, thanks
Ya- I have since picked up 4 pounds of H1000 for my 7RM, may have to just list it in classifieds and see if I can trade it for more Varget or 4350

Hello
I am interested in what you determine for you 7-08AI and Hammer bullets. I have a Model Seven 7-08AI build in the works as well
Jonathan

Hello
I am interested in what you determine for you 7-08AI and Hammer bullets. I have a Model Seven 7-08AI build in the works as well
Jonathan
If I'm fallowing ya right, I got on Hammers web site a little over a year ago, looked at the twist rates (mine is a 9 twist)I then called Steve @ Hammer and talked a bit with him. The 140 HH is the bullet I want for it's intended purpose which is a lightweight mountain rifle for both mule deer and elk. I then made an order. Absolute Hammers where not out when I made the order, or I would have chose them.
If you are talking powder for an improved case, it is pretty standard to use the parent cases powder and loads at mid load and work up.
In the case of fire forming an A.I. chamber you don't want a light load or a hot load.
I have used W760 for lighter bullets in 308win based cases, Varget is the better choice for heavier bullets.
I have never used any Enduron powders, people have tried out of the box stuff and I was fishing.
H4350 has worked for me as well, Varget is just more consistent for me

My kids mother is having me put together (pre-fit) a twin to her sons. These are on Savage SA's

Thank you for the info!

I have a 22" featherweight 1/9 barrel in progress for the build. My intent is also for a light mountain rifle and those same animals, plus Kansas whitetails and hogs.
I shoot a 143gr Hammer Hunter in my 7mm WSM, at 3300 to 3350 fps. I am thinking a step down in weight for this one will make sense for me, but stocking one weight for both rifles is attractive.

Fire forming: I have 200 pieces of new 7-08 LRP brass from Alpha Munitions for this rifle. I am leaning towards fireforming the whole lot with less expensive bullets (I like Sierra game kings), and then running the fireformed brass through the AI dies in one go.
My thinking is that the rifle will likely have sufficient accuracy for shooting hogs with the 7-08 brass, and the barrel will be fully 'settled in' and up to speed after those 200 rounds. Then a quick load development with the chosen Hammer bullets, and no need to reload for some time.

Absolutely it will be accurate enough. My kids A.I. was putting factory rounds inside an inch fire forming. It's got an X-Caliber 24" barrel on it. And still has the Tupperware stock. Hahaha
These are the bullets I use for fire forming
Cause they are cheap

They are not coyote friendly

I looked at my load book I am using H-4350 in lapua 308 palma brass necked down turned and fire formed 50.2 grains powder, cci 450 primer and a 143 hammer hunter 2984 fps

I will be changing to the absolute when these are shot up

Last edited:
I have no experience first hand in the small rifle primers brass, but there is plenty of write ups about cold weather issues. Before you plan a mountain hunt you may want to look into that.

I have never hunted below zero temps I have been in single digits for extended periods and never had an issue, it is darn sure something to consider though, I have always used the 450 primers in the 308 size cases with the small pockets

I don't think IMR 7977 is going to do it for you unless you like running compressed loads. It took a 116% load density to get to max pressure in QL and speed was nothing special at 2681. A 95% load only gets you 2142 fps, so downloading does not look like an option either.

I did not run the HH as I've recently been informed that QL data is not reliable for the hammers.

Attachments

• 7-08AI 150 ELDX IMR 7977.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 58