IMR 7828SSC. Which primer?

With 7828L or SSC...
300WM GM215M
7mmRM CCI250
6.5 284 BR2
270AI BR2
Today I tried 7828ssc in 270wsm with CCI250 with horrible results and over pressure. Next week will try BR2.

Most often it plays well with CCI primers for some reason. (Except for my 300 which likes about 10 different combinations)

So I've been playing with 7828SSC along with Federal 210 gold medal match primers. Extreme spreads are quite a bit higher than I'd like to see. Which primer(s) are you guys using with 7828SSC for the best results? Cartridge is 280 AI.

Regards!

M

I always try a magnum primer with identical loads in cases 30-06 size. My 338-06, 270 and my 25-06 have shown a preference for magnum primers with certain powders and bullet combo's.
Groups and ES have halved with certain combo's, while others have made no difference.
Some powders just don't respond.

I even found a magnum primer in my 222 shrunk groups! It never hurts to try magnum primers when working up loads.
That rule of thumb that only 'magnum' cases require magnum primers is not necessarily true. It increases start pressure within the case, similar to what crimping does in factory rounds, which is why they have such good ES figures.

Cheers.
lightbulb

So I've been playing with 7828SSC along with Federal 210 gold medal match primers. Extreme spreads are quite a bit higher than I'd like to see. Which primer(s) are you guys using with 7828SSC for the best results? Cartridge is 280 AI.

Regards!

M

I use 210/210M for my actual loads for my .25-06 AI and .30-06 AI. For fire-forming I use CCI 200's. Those might be worth a shot. They seem to be pretty good primers.

The reason I use the CCI's for fire-forming is because they're more plentiful than the Federals the last few years. And they're usually a few bucks cheaper per brick.

Regards!

M

My 280AI with IMR-7828ssc I get best results with Fed 215.

:)
I've used WLRM with IMR7828SSC in my 7mm SAUM.
I been using Winchester primers for years, I bought some CCI 200 primers and I was not happy. At a hundred yards I had almost 4 inches shot were lower with the CCI primers. I would use the Winchester WLRM with the IMR 7828SSC powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.