IMR 4955 300 Win mag 7mm rem mag

paydro13

With H1000 as easy to find as some have said- fairy dust, I picked up 8lbs of IMR 4955. I have loaded up 300WM in 165gr with compressed IMR 4955 excellent results for accuracy and am about 50FPS under H1000 speed (3330fps) in my rifle.

I also tried some loads in 7mm rem mag in 140, 150 and 162 gr. It seemed like 4955 was a bit more sensitive while working up to max on the 7 mag. Not much for pressure signs working up loads in the 7 mag, but would show suddenly. Seemed about 75-170 fps off my loads with 7828, H1000 or Ramshot Magnum. I expected better results in the 7mm rem with IMR-4955 as it was advertised as around the same as the 4831 class of powders in burn rate. In both cases IMR 4955 did seem to help with copper fouling.

I did not see a lot of information on the internet on 4955 in magnum rifles, especially the 300WM. Handloader magazine did have a good article on some newer powders including IMR 4955 that was useful. Anyone else try it out?

I decided to join the forum after years of reading posts, thank you for replies in advance.

I've started using it in my Kimber 270WSM. Can't give much more info than that at the moment. So hot right now I'm afraid the stock will catch fire from a 3 shot string.

Long ago all I used was IMR powders the added Hodgdon and now back to IMR.

I too have an 8 pounder of IMR 4955 for my 7 Mags. I couldn't really get a good load worked-up with 168 Berger's, but it had a decent load for Hornady 150 ELD-x's. (FPS and accuracy) It appears to be faster than advertised in most of the burn charts, but would probably work well with most lighter bullets.

I've started using it in my Kimber 270WSM. Can't give much more info than that at the moment. So hot right now I'm afraid the stock will catch fire from a 3 shot string.

Long ago all I used was IMR powders the added Hodgdon and now back to IMR.
No kidding on the temps. Here is what a 4 shot string looks like around 3pm!
1627348707259.png

Following this, as I, like most here am now evaluating this powder for my recent 7mag workups for all of the reasons mentioned.

Unfortunately, I'm looking to load for the 180 Berger Hybrids, so I'm not holding out a ton of hope based on what I am hearing now.

I've used it a couple times in my 6.5-06 and 6.5-06AI. It does seem a bit faster than advertised. I don't have a chrono, but I've noticed that when using QuickLoad to generate loading info that the Enduron powders aren't near the top of the velocity scale. I would definitely not use the top loads calculated by QL and would back off at least 2 and maybe 3 grains from there and work up slow. I was told by my acquaintance who does the QL stuff for me that the data is for Winchester brass which is the hardest and if you value your case life to use 2 grains less.

Also for the Absolute Hammers where they suggest to use the fastest powder that gives the greatest case fill IMR4955 fits the bill for me and the 123 6.5mm grainers. QL data suggests that IMR4166 would be too fast.

I like the copper fouling reducer added to the Enduron powders and some of the Reloders like 19,22,23, 26 etc. and V V N165. I've pretty much vowed not to use any powder that doesn't have a copper fouling reducer added. These are designated by a *C in QL data. Yesterday I ran 15 rounds with N165, Reloder 22, Reloder 26 and IMR7977 thru my 6.5-06AI and after I was done I ran 4 tight patches with rubbing alcohol thru the warm bore. The 4th patch had hardly any black on it. Later at home I ran a loose patch with accelerator and another one with wipeout. After 5 minutes a tight patch with rubbing alcohol was fairly clean so I called it good.

I like the copper fouling reducer added to the Enduron powders and some of the Reloders like 19,22,23, 26 etc. and V V N165. I've pretty much vowed not to use any powder that doesn't have a copper fouling reducer added. These are designated by a *C in QL data. Yesterday I ran 15 rounds with N165, Reloder 22, Reloder 26 and IMR7977 thru my 6.5-06AI and after I was done I ran 4 tight patches with rubbing alcohol thru the warm bore. The 4th patch had hardly any black on it. Later at home I ran a loose patch with accelerator and another one with wipeout. After 5 minutes a tight patch with rubbing alcohol was fairly clean so I called it good.
Good info. I have used several copper fouling eliminator powders as well and had good luck with them. Always a solid consideration.

I use Tubb Dust from David Tubb. Added to my Hogdon Powders, 4831sc, 4350, etc and I get very little copper fouling— i have detected no effect on the powder performance in 6XC, 284 and 308–