Imr 4895

kyrifleman, Thanks for the info, i'm from the Somerset area and like you bought the Ti for climbing the Laurel Mtns. It is my go to rifle when spending the day still hunting the ridge tops. I developed a great load with 42 g of ww760 and Nosler BT's , this load will shoot under 1/2" and hammers whitetails. Hope that you shoot a lot since your retired. Enjoy!!!!

That is my philosophy; " find something that will work." I went to the gun shop yesterday to specifically get H4895, (or IMR 4895;) but they didn't have any so I saw some SuperPreformance for $5 cheaper than the other powders, so I bought 2lbs.
My ladder test looks promising.

111Ladder600_zpsbfcc5f7d.jpg

Asa soon as it stops raining I'll break out the chronograph and test the load.

Yep, I knew that had to be a good load.

Never be reluctant to try different powders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I knew that had to be a good load.

Rainy .06MOA Load - YouTube

Never be reluctant to try different powders.
I'd like to amend my comment.

After further testing, the Superformance powder appears to be temperature sensitive. 20ºF difference in temperature, makes a POI difference of about 1.5MOA. I never seen anything like it.

So yes, "[Always] be reluctant to try different powders."
:/

I found some Imr 4895 when I was actually looking for H4895. I looked at a burn rate chart and they are close together on the chart. What are the major differences in the 2 powders and advantages of one over the other if any?

I found some Imr 4895 when I was actually looking for H4895. I looked at a burn rate chart and they are close together on the chart. What are the major differences in the 2 powders and advantages of one over the other if any?

There's a good article in one of the recent Hodgdon reloading annuals about the differences between the two. H4895 is almost totally temperature insensitive while IMR is quite temperature sensitive. One is slightly bulkier than the other, but I don't remember which one is denser. If you switch, definitely re-workup the load.

I've used lots of H4895, but no IMR4895 even though I have a pound with which to experiment.

Matt

After almost 7 and a half years, I really hope the OP isn't still looking. 😂😂😂
If he didn't find it 7 and a half years ago,he **** sure ain't gonna find it now.🤣
🤣🤣 Gotta buy more rifles in different calibers,stock up and become more versatileIf your just starting up or a one gun,one load,or a one bullet type gunner,you are screwed.

I'd like to amend my comment.

After further testing, the Superformance powder appears to be temperature sensitive. 20ºF difference in temperature, makes a POI difference of about 1.5MOA. I never seen anything like it.

So yes, "[Always] be reluctant to try different powders."
:/
yup... that's why the 2# of s.p. I bought has been sitting since just after the stuff was released... One day it was good, the next day it sucked... Magpro is similar but that crap might even hangfire if you use the wrong primer...