IMR 4831 for 6.5x284

aaronmcoleman

Hey guys and ladies, I've been around lurking for a while but just getting active on this site.

due to shortages I have a 6.5x284 with 140grain Barnes match burners and a bunch of IMR 4831 (NOT H4831 or 4831sc). No real data for a starting load online for this combo.

my Nosler book shows 46-50g for their bullets with IMR4831
Lyman shows 43.5-46g using a 140g Sierra SBT with IMR4831
Barnes shows 46.6 to 51.8 using H4831sc.
Hodgdon shows 43-48g IMR4831 for a 140g.

So I'm kinda newish to reloading and brand new to 6.5x284 NORMA. any thoughts or resources for where to start? I'm thinking 43 grains and working up seems safe?

thanks!

Well, you definitely have yourself a great cartridge so congratulations on that! I think 43.0 might be a good place to start but don't have first hand knowledge with IMR 4831 in this cartridge. I've always used H4831sc and H4831 with very good results (Sorry you can't find any). You could look for some H1000 maybe? If not, the IMR 4831 is still worth a try.

I have the 6th edition Nosler Manual as well but it came out in 2007 and when I was working up a H4831 load for my 6.5-284 (130 Nosler), I ran into pressure signs at about 1.5 grains below the published max in that edition, which was 53.5 grains. I recently noticed that Nosler revised that published max down a full 2.0 grains to 51.5 grains. Be careful with that old Nosler manual!

Welcome. confirm that you have a Norma (long) throat or Winchester (short) throat? The difference could be catastrophic! I know first hand, mine is stamped Norma, but its Win all the way!

IMR will be good to go, watch your bullet seating depth and work up low.

Welcome. confirm that you have a Norma (long) throat or Winchester (short) throat? The difference could be catastrophic! I know first hand, mine is stamped Norma, but its Win all the way!

IMR will be good to go, watch your bullet seating depth and work up low.
It's definitely a long throat. Truth is I don't have it in hand yet, but will measure when I do.

Well, you definitely have yourself a great cartridge so congratulations on that! I think 43.0 might be a good place to start but don't have first hand knowledge with IMR 4831 in this cartridge. I've always used H4831sc and H4831 with very good results (Sorry you can't find any). You could look for some H1000 maybe? If not, the IMR 4831 is still worth a try.

I have the 6th edition Nosler Manual as well but it came out in 2007 and when I was working up a H4831 load for my 6.5-284 (130 Nosler), I ran into pressure signs at about 1.5 grains below the published max in that edition, which was 53.5 grains. I recently noticed that Nosler revised that published max down a full 2.0 grains to 51.5 grains. Be careful with that old Nosler manual!
I've got the newest edition. It lists IMR4831 with at 46-50g.

I listed a few other references I could find. Problem is 1) I'm not a super experienced reloaded so I ask questions before blowing my fingers off, and 2) the only bullets I could get (Barnes match burners) don't list IMR4831 specifically and I'm not experienced enough to extrapolate info on my own.

from wha I listed above most manufacturers have 43-50 grains. So it seems like 43 would be a good place to start and build with caution. Some day thjs will all be second nature to me like it is to you guys. Thanks!

I've got the newest edition. It lists IMR4831 with at 46-50g.

I listed a few other references I could find. Problem is 1) I'm not a super experienced reloaded so I ask questions before blowing my fingers off, and 2) the only bullets I could get (Barnes match burners) don't list IMR4831 specifically and I'm not experienced enough to extrapolate info on my own.

from wha I listed above most manufacturers have 43-50 grains. So it seems like 43 would be a good place to start and build with caution. Some day thjs will all be second nature to me like it is to you guys. Thanks!
ive had alot of luck with imr 4831 shooting 300 win mag and 264 win mag great muzzle velocity.s nodes. I am currently 4 grains above recomended max because , I called nosler and they said they tested with partition bullets not barnes match burner bullets. They said due to bullet density it was ok to go above there max because the max for barnes burner bullets would be higher, due to bullet density being different. Its a great unsung powder, because most people have cattle mantailty and don't try these powders. It is temp sensitve. the charge wont be the same in winter as it will be in summer, so watch out for that. H1000 ,h4350 and other powders are said to be not as temp sensitive. I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH I BELIVE THAT. sorry didnt mean to caps that last sentence

I have the Hornady app on my phone and it does list IMR 4831 for 140gr class Hornady bullets. The low end is 45.2gr and the high end is 51.2gr. I use RL23 for the 6.5x284, but I think you'll be OK with what you have to get started.

I am in the process of load developement with a new 6.5x284 Norma. Its on a 700rem la, 28" Bartlein. Using the Barnes match burner 140gr bullets, I have ran mine up to 3100fps+ using imr4831/without pressure indications. Shoots light out but still have work to do. This is new brass so until I get at least once fired,,,not too serious about results until brass stabilizes.

Just got back from a successful antelope hunt with 6.5x284 Norma. My shot was 580 yards. Then I had two other friends use my rifle at 537 yards and 741 yards. All three antelope are in the freezer. I just developed the load before the hunt and couldn't be happier. I believe this cartridge in a nice action and barrel will shoot any powder and bullet very well. I chose 156 gr. Bergers, 57.3gr. H1000, 210Ms, Lapua brass, 2930 fps. Had to lower my zero a touch before the hunt. I don't have experience with match burners, but I can verify, Antelope really don't like The 156 EOLs.

1701612222133.jpeg1701612302053.jpeg