IMR 4350 to H4350 in 30-06

I'm actually in AL, but hunt all over in varying temps. Matter of fact, I was hog hunting yesterday and it was 98 degrees. Shot one with my old standby load of 165gr Accubond and IMR4350. Had a bit of primer flattening that I have not seen in cooler temps. Good to know on the RL22. Thanks.

I'm actually in AL, but hunt all over in varying temps. Matter of fact, I was hog hunting yesterday and it was 98 degrees. Shot one with my old standby load of 165gr Accubond and IMR4350. Had a bit of primer flattening that I have not seen in cooler temps. Good to know on the RL22. Thanks.

Guys on this forum have written that RL-23 is pretty close in burning rate to RL-22, and less temperature sensitive. I don't know what cartridges were involved in that assessment, but the comments seem to be pretty uniform in that regard.

H4350 (ADI 2209ar) was, in fact, designed specifically for the 30-06, to have near 100% load density, with 167-175grn bullets, so, it really is the perfect fit. That said, RL16 will do the exact same thing, and you get about a 40fps increase in velocity. So, it's kinda like having your cake and eating it too.

I have a Tikka 30-06 that is the most accurate rifle I own. It is not picky at all and I have loaded 150-180gr bullets with several powders with success. My favorite load is 165 AccuBond over 56gr IMR4350. I use this for everything from whitetail to hogs to rams and would use it on elk if I can ever draw a tag. Now that I have a chronograph, I have noticed temperature sensitivity with IMR 4350. Problem is, I live in AL and do our load development and practicing during the off season where temperatures are frequently in the 90's. Our hunting season temperatures vary from the 50's down to the teens. I bought some H4350 in hopes of more temperature stability. I will obviously start low and work my way up. What has been your experience in the following:

1. Accuracy when switching between IMR 4350 and H4350?
2. Corresponding loads in IMR 4350 vs H4350? Consulting my reloading manuals, it appears that there is typically 0.5gr increase for H4350 over the same velocity for IMR 4350. For example, it appears that 46gr IMR 4350 with 165gr bullet would be roughly equivalent to 46.5gr H4350 for the same velocity.
3. Thoughts on temperature sensitivity for IMR 4350 vs H4350?

I have used H4350 in 300WSM with 175 & 210gn Berger VLD bullets. There was a time when you had to buy whatever you could find, or do without. So I ended up with several lots. Never saw any differences, so I hit on an "averaging" strategy. I dumped it all into a big container and mixed it thoroughly, with the thought that granules would randomize and therefore my mix would be uniform from load to load. Seems to have worked fine.

Comments?

I have used H4350 in 300WSM with 175 & 210gn Berger VLD bullets. There was a time when you had to buy whatever you could find, or do without. So I ended up with several lots. Never saw any differences, so I hit on an "averaging" strategy. I dumped it all into a big container and mixed it thoroughly, with the thought that granules would randomize and therefore my mix would be uniform from load to load. Seems to have worked fine.

Comments?
I've blended lots before, I just drop back a little and run some over the chronograph and shoot a few groups, just to ensure things come together as they should.

I tried R16 in my .270/129 LRX, and while it did its best accuracy around 54.3, it wasn't consistent. I then switched to H4350 and 55.3gr gave me "bugholes" for 4 shots! Just a rifle thing I suppose. 60.5 of H4831sc also did swell. I will try R16 with my 30-06 and see what it does. R22 did fine in a .224 TTH ( 22-6mm Rem) but in a 280 AI/150 NBT, my Utah load that was fine here gave me sticky bolt lift/hard extraction/flat primers in Texas in a warm February!

Last edited:
Wow, you did get a hot lot. The funny thing is, I have used IMR4350 for many years for multiple cartridges and never thought about temp sensitivity. Then, I get a chrono and I see the objective difference. My OCD won't rest until I get a more temp stable load!

I prefer RL16 for temp stability. During my 30-06 load development with Nos 150 BT, H4350 showed nearly 100 fps velocity increase when TX transitioned from the Not Summer season to Summer. RL16 did not. I recommend magnum primer with RL16 in 30-06. I have gone as hot as 58.5 gr with no pressure sign when measured with my eye-chrometer.

I get a slight accuracy edge with H over I in my 30-06 Tikka. Temp stability is definitely improved with H. And, yes, I also run a slightly higher charge with H.

I am running 56g with 166 Hammer Hunters. I don't hit pressure signs until I exceed 57.

First three down the pipe yesterday...
That is also my exact load. It hammers(?)

Jimirwin,
Not a problem blending same powders. Had to do it more lately with the shortage
Get 1 lb here. 2-3 there of same powder, diff lots. Pour all into clean bucket, mix well and make my own lot - label and date it. Pour all I can fit in jugs to exclude air and minimize # of jugs. Screw lids on tight. Recheck pet load data for new "lot".

look at the Reloader 22-23 data for 165 in the 30/06. I had a velocity improvement with it and I live in Montana elevation 3500. check out the pressure for your loads.. the key to accuracy is low pressure high velocity..... I think YOU Auburn fans like my cousin there and so will the New England Pats.

I have used IMR 4350 for 40 years and never had any problem with temps.I tested it one time ,It was high 80's and I left one set in my truck and another in a cooler all day.They shot the same at 100 and the ones in the cooler was 1 inch to left Still grouped ok

Temp sensitive powders only have a noticeable accuracy problem when you shoot long distance. Your going to have to shoot 600yards and further before your get a meaningful and noticeable accuracy difference for hunting purposes. I can hold MOA at 30 F to 90F at 600 yards with R22 and IMR 4831 both of which are temp sensitive.

With that said if you have the option use the less temp sensitive powder available. I would always choose H 4350, H4831 over IMR if given the choice. But don't overly worry about it if it's not available.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.