IMR 4166 and Hammer Bullets

I had been looking for Varget for awhile, but was able to find some IMR 4166 that is supposed to be similar to Varget. I plan on purchasing 110gr Hammer Hunters and 124gr Hammer Hunters in 6.5 for my Creedmoor, my question does anyone have any experience with the powder and bullets combo? I would like to hear what was your experience and what was the starting and stopping load, the brass I am using is Lapua LRP, primers are CCI 200. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
I've been using Superformance with excellent results with the 143gr ELD-X.
It's relatively forgiving cartridge. The twist rate is key, and as always, your rifle may have preferred loads.

I have RL16 and 4350, but was told from Steve you need a faster burning powder like Varget, since Varget is nowhere in site, I found 4166 supposed to be the equivalent, but what you show as blowing a primer that fast is crazy..

What was your case fill like ?
At 36 grains it was about 2/3rds full so there was plenty more room for powder. No extractor marks or plunger marks on the brass. It was so dirty though. I cleaned the barrel after taking the first shot to see after effects and it was filthy black patches. Seemed to have some serious powder residue.

You guys should be asking about load data from the manufacturer who has tested the Hammers. I'd never load anything based on any forum posts. What's so hard about making a phone call to the manufacturer? They'll usually email you the load data if you ask them.

At 36 grains it was about 2/3rds full so there was plenty more room for powder. No extractor marks or plunger marks on the brass. It was so dirty though. I cleaned the barrel after taking the first shot to see after effects and it was filthy black patches. Seemed to have some serious powder residue.
Yep, You need a slower powder

You guys should be asking about load data from the manufacturer who has tested the Hammers. I'd never load anything based on any forum posts. What's so hard about making a phone call to the manufacturer? They'll usually email you the load data if you ask them.
We both did exactly what you stated so there's nothing "hard" about what you stated. "Steve" as mentioned above is the owner of Hammer Bullets. Appreciate your feedback.

I ran 4166 with the 101 HH yesterday in my 6 Creedmoor. Pressured out at 36 immediately and blew primer. It was also very dirty and the bullet may be releasing to soon due to how fast it is. It may require a crimp @ButterBean process to hold the bullet a little longer, but with it blowing primers so soon I will try something slower.View attachment 271884
When you say pressured out immediately...do you mean that you started at 36 grains and that was already way overpressure or do you mean that as you worked up there was an immediate spike at 36 with no hints of pressure at lower charge weights?

reason I ask is this seems to be a potential problem with enduron powders in general. No reason not to use them just something to be aware of. 4451 and 4955 did this for me. Nothing, nothing, nothing, then one more grain and bam, just like that, bolt super stiff and primer looks real ugly.

I have no experience with IMR 4166 or hammer bullets although I'm getting ready to order for 270, 280 and 308. However in my 6.5 cms I load for I use IMR 4451, 41gr with berger 130gr otm hybrid and have seen very good results in 3 different guns. I would be interested to know what load data you come up with.
I think 4451 or 4350 will be in the wheelhouse for sure. H4350 will allow for a little extra case fill as Steve mentions about loading for the HH's.

When you say pressured out immediately...do you mean that you started at 36 grains and that was already way overpressure or do you mean that as you worked up there was an immediate spike at 36 with no hints of pressure at lower charge weights?

reason I ask is this seems to be a potential problem with enduron powders in general. No reason not to use them just something to be aware of. 4451 and 4955 did this for me. Nothing, nothing, nothing, then one more grain and bam, just like that, bolt super stiff and primer looks real ugly.
I started at 36 and stopped. No reason to continue as Velocity at 36 was just under 3k. This 101HH should be able to get to 3200-3250 easily with the right powder in the 6 Creedmoor.

You're looking for a case fill that comes up to at least the bottom of the case shoulder with no pressure signs. Higher/ more full is better. Keep changing powder (burn rates) til you get well up on the shoulder with your charge and no/little pressure. Now you are getting close to optimum burn rate - whichever powder that is.