Imr 4064 and full 308 case not at max load?

Motoman006

Guys first time loading 308 I picked up some imr 4064 since it was available and not much else to pick from

Anyhow I loaded up a 42gr and 43gr and when I got to my 44gr the powder was up to the case neck maybe a hair higher I was going to load a 45gr but stopped thinking it may be to much

Case trimmed to 2.005
overall with a 168gr hornady hpbt 2.800
PPU brass and cci primers

When I pushed bullets into the 44gr I heard a slight crunch, is this okay to compress the load? I think 45 May be to much

Shooting savage model 10 FCP hs precision 308

Last edited:
If your manual has a the letter C after the charge weight then its a compressed load. My manual doesn't have the 168 BTHP Hornady but it has the Sierra and Barnes TTSX and the Barnes has 45.0 grn compressed and the Sierra has 45.9 gr compressed as max charges...
you'll be fine compressing loads that are listed as compressed, if your rifle will accept the load as safe...

Thanks for the reply I have the nosler and hornady reloading book, I forget which one but one does show 45.9C
But I'm seeing compressed load at 44 or atleast I can shake the shell and hear no powder

Is there a drop tube I can attach to my rcbs thrower to make it 4-6 inches longer to help the powder drop more compact?

I'll shoot what I loaded maybe one will shoot sub moa and I won't have to go any higher

Thanks for the reply I have the nosler and hornady reloading book, I forget which one but one does show 45.9C
But I'm seeing compressed load at 44 or atleast I can shake the shell and hear no powder

Is there a drop tube I can attach to my rcbs thrower to make it 4-6 inches longer to help the powder drop more compact?

I'll shoot what I loaded maybe one will shoot sub moa and I won't have to go any higher
I'm not sure about the drop tube. I use my powder measure to get me close on my beam scale, then trickle the rest in. I usually just use my funnel to pour it in and give it a couple of taps on my bench and seat the bullet. I don't load the .308, but i do have a couple of highly compressed 30-06 loads. One is 58 grns of IMR 4350. It dang near over flows in Fed. brass. I just crunch the bullet in and have no problems. In fact it is one of my most accurate loads..

Well in my rcbs powder thrower it meters ok with in .2 each throw now not amazingly accurate but it'll work for now

You can't go wrong with RCBS anything. You'll be fine if you find a load at the lower node. But .2 grns of variation at max charges is not acceptable to ME, it might be a problem if you want to push that bullet to the extreme range, the BC of that bullet would require a max charge and max velocity to get it out there in a .308, so max charges will have to be explored.

I agree, I don't load max charge in anything yet but in any other powder I have loaded it's dead on everytime this powder is larger so doesn't meter the best, when I'm loading for top accuracy and over 600 yard reloads
I'll be using different brass and measuring each load

I just want to find a load that'll be good for 500 yards max for practice right now

Loaded 223 204 and 22-250 found good loads with them now testing my 308

Hopefully you find accuracy at 44.0 - 44.5 grns. I would think it would put you at 2600 fps +/- and it would be fine for 500 yards. As a matter of fact any of the charges from start to max would get you there.
Any farther and i would step up in bullet weight. Any of the 175-185 offerings are a good extended range .308 bullet.

That's what I have read but the 168s are a good starting point and they had them in stock i have close to max from noslers reloading guide which is 44.5 and shows compressed so makes sense 44 will prolly be compressed
Hodgon shows 45.9 max load I don't think I can get that much in there

But the nosler books shows 2700fps with 44.5gr and shows that being most accurate load, looks like I'll be loading 5 more rounds to 44.5 for my tests

4064 is okay but if you can git hold of some varget its great in my .308 stick with the manuals and watch for pressure signs you be fine

I shoot and load alot of 308 rounds for ranges out to 600 yards. in my rifle 4064 performs very well along with RL15.

Another powder worth trying, as Varget has been and is very hard to find is IMR`s new powder 4166. Using Nosler's CC 175 my best group at 200 yards is .850". This is the furthest I have with this powder so far.

IMR 4895 or AA 2520 and AA2495 also works well with 168s. I always have had great accuracy with 41.4 grs IMR4064 with 168 Sierra MK. As for filling the case full it depends on which make case you are using. If memory serves me Prvi cases are on what I would call the thicker side really close to what Lake City cases are and will hold less powder. Winchester cases usually hold the most powder because they are thinner and have more capacity. With the thicker cases and less powder you will still reach the same pressure/velocity with less powder as with more powder in the thinner cases.

Well I have inr 4064, cfe 223 and benchmark left on the shelf right now
Some powders are go hard to find around here I cant even find benchmark for my 223 and 204 anymore

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.