IMR 3031 and Win 150gr silvertips CURIOUS

badaboom

Anybody chime in on what they know about these two items.

IMR powder 3031 - What would you use this powder for caliber and bullet weight wise?

Winchester no longer makes this model/construction of the Winchester/Western silvertip 150 grain bullet.
I know the .30-.30 .30-.06 and .308 can use these PILLS to name a few.
Any experiences with this winchester bullet?

Thanks

Anybody chime in on what they know about these two items.

IMR powder 3031 - What would you use this powder for caliber and bullet weight wise?

Winchester no longer makes this model/construction of the Winchester/Western silvertip 150 grain bullet.
I know the .30-.30 .30-.06 and .308 can use these PILLS to name a few.
Any experiences with this winchester bullet?

Thanks

I have used quite a bit of IMR-3031 in loads ranging from the 223 AI up through my .303 Brit. It isn't always the best powder for the task but has produced some good shooting hunting loads for me through the years. Seems I always have a partial can of it around. Check out the Hodgdon site for the load data as well as some of the older load manuals. Just be sure to start low and work up. I have never had any unpredicted pressure issues with it but then most of the loads I used it for were not on the top end.

From what I was told the Silvertips were built using an aluminum cap to protect the soft lead tips and help promote expansion by having much more of the lead exposed from the end of the jacket and covered by the cap. Mostly I have seen them in calibers which were of the rimmed case designs and shot in lever actions, but have seen a few loadings in 270, 30-06. and generally in the heavier weights of 170 and 180grs and in a semi round nose or flat tip design. In all my years shooting, I have only put about a half dozen or so downrange. They were shot from an old lever action 30-30 that a friend had and I used a couple of times to take does. THey dropped the deer where it stood but I couldn't honestly say they were any better or worse than anything else I would have used.

41mag
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of using the silvertips in the 150gr class in the .308 caliber. I have a friend with 500 of them which I think I can get for a deal. I initially thought the 30-30 would be the best thing for these bullets but was primarily curious as to the use in the .30-.06 and .308 since that is what I have available to load for. Thanks again for the reply

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.