Improving the 308 Win performance

I always thought your 175s are the best compromise for weight, speed, and retained velocity/energy for the 308 and 06 case capacity.

Looking into improving the 308, I may just spin up a 30 cal barrel using my FTR reamer and run the 175 BD2. I actually bought some LVR powder just in case I get shop time for myself to spin up another 308.

I am busy doing a 223 M1 Garand barrel for a friend using one of my spare Garand actions. What a PITA, but challenging

Last edited:
Interesting. The 308 is a heck of a cartridge...as are many others. They are what they are and do what was intended. I believe that the best way to improve on field results is simply trigger time. Too few take the time to get off the bench and shoot real world shots. No sticks or bags....just use the sling or what would be available to you on the hunt. Also, I am not a believer in Long Range shooting on game and never will be. Just my .02.

Interesting. The 308 is a heck of a cartridge...as are many others. They are what they are and do what was intended. I believe that the best way to improve on field results is simply trigger time. Too few take the time to get off the bench and shoot real world shots. No sticks or bags....just use the sling or what would be available to you on the hunt. Also, I am not a believer in Long Range shooting on game and never will be. Just my .02.
Do you do your load work slung up?

What's over pressured?
In general, ~95% of the handload data that gets put on the internet. But specifically any data (weight vs weight/ handload vs handload) where a 308 beats a 30-06, a 30-06 beats a 300 WM, etc.

I can push a 180 HH north of 3000 FPS in an off the shelf 30-06. Doesn't mean I'm not scrapping brass after two firings for loose primer pockets, but man it's a killer when it's running. Hunting-wise screw it, brass is cheap compared to all the other costs;. Dead is dead and in the freezer.

You can soup up a 308 Win to run HOT, this thread proves it's possible. If you absolutely positively can only have one rifle and happen to have a 308 Win in hand, load 'em up hot and send it. As much as I dislike the Baby 308 Winnie it works great in an AR-10 pattern mag. But the easy button is always more case capacity, increased pressure never goes as far as more room.

Do you do your load work slung up?
I took it to mean something like a Palma rifle. Not my game, but those guys do some impressive things. Better than the average Fudd can do with a scope easy.

In general, ~95% of the handload data that gets put on the internet. But specifically any data (weight vs weight/ handload vs handload) where a 308 beats a 30-06, a 30-06 beats a 300 WM, etc.

I can push a 180 HH north of 3000 FPS in an off the shelf 30-06. Doesn't mean I'm not scrapping brass after two firings for loose primer pockets, but man it's a killer when it's running. Hunting-wise screw it, brass is cheap compared to all the other costs;. Dead is dead and in the freezer.

You can soup up a 308 Win to run HOT, this thread proves it's possible. If you absolutely positively can only have one rifle and happen to have a 308 Win in hand, load 'em up hot and send it. As much as I dislike the Baby 308 Winnie it works great in an AR-10 pattern mag. But the easy button is always more case capacity, increased pressure never goes as far as more room.

I took it to mean something like a Palma rifle. Not my game, but those guys do some impressive things. Better than the average Fudd can do with a scope easy.

My question about load work with sling was intended for @darreljwick as he was spouting about taking game slung up

My question about load work with sling was intended for @darreljwick as he was spouting about taking game slung up
Fair point. I guess whatever you're comfortable with though. I'd like to always have a nice bag rest on a blind window with a big backpack wedged under my arm/shoulder, but I can dig in my Evo with a wedge bag when I need to. Slings are NOT my thing, I strap to a pack and don't even use them to carry.

Also, 200 yards is a chip shot. 😂

So when equally over-pressured, higher displacement wins? 🤣
I never really argued that. If you go back to the original purpose of the thread, it was to improve the performance of the 308Win using higher quality components. That includes brass, primers, powder and bullets. The published data for the 308 is dummied down significantly that one can extract significantly more performance from it SAFELY. Modern SRP brass, high energy powders and very high BC copper bullets can do that to the point that it exceeds larger cartridges. That is not to say that if you do the same thing to larger displacement cartridges their performance can't improve beyond what the 308 Win is capable of. I don't know why that concept is so hard to get through people's heads. Instead it seems I'm attacking people's manhood. It is a fact though that the 308 Win performance can be made to out do the 3006 PUBLISHED data by a significant amount. You do the same to the 06, the performance of that cartridge can be made to out perform the souped up 308 Win and even the more conventionally loaded 300WM.

I use bags....have been for 45+ years. As far as a sling, I use the Montana. No need to ridicule a person who states an experienced opinion. I've seen the Good, Bad & Ugly of reaching out. There are far more internet experts that can shoot long, than there are actual long shooters. I choose not to do it on game for obvious reasons. I enjoy this site as there are a few that post interesting ballistic workups. ......Darrel