Improving the 308 Win performance

I do think the "Plumbers rule of thumb" should be implemented. Use the right tool for the job. Don't use a screwdriver as a wrench.
That is less than half the life of a regular used 308 barrel.
Who friggin cares about barrel life on a 308 when you have guys burning barrels out on their big magnums, 6.5-284's, etc in a 1000 rounds and even less. For a long range hunting rifle 2000 rounds is phenomenal and someday will be in the hands of my son and grandson before it's ever burned out. The average hunter never has to worry about burning out a barrel. I don't buy/shoot a rifle worrying about "burning" out a barrel on ANY rifle. If your comment is about bench rest shooters then maybe they have some concern but then maybe they don't. Barrels are easily replaceable nowadays with numerous prefit options that are shouldered or barrel nut prefit. My 18" shouldered prefit just cost me $429. Shoots bugholes. Next objection.

Last edited:
Here is a average Joe DIY guy doing a gel test on it at about 1800 fps entry into the gel. Not from a 308 but this is strictly a velocity/expansion type test.

At 3000 fps from a 1:10 barrel the bullet RPM= 216,000. Since the RPM slows much more slowly than the linear velocity of the bullet, it will impact still at well over 200,000 RPM, probably around the 214000 RPM range. Note the sharpness and separation of the petals which contributes to tissue liquefaction by a propeller like effect.

Last edited:
Who friggin cares about barrel life on a 308 when you have guys burning barrels out on their big magnums, 6.5-284's, etc in a 1000 rounds and even less. For a long range hunting rifle 2000 rounds is phenomenal and someday will be in the hands of my son and grandson before it's ever burned out. The average hunter never has to worry about burning out a barrel. I don't buy/shoot a rifle worrying about "burning" out a barrel on ANY rifle. If your comment is about bench rest shooters then maybe they have some concern but then maybe they don't. Barrels are easily replaceable nowadays with numerous prefit options that are shouldered or barrel nut prefit. My 18" shouldered prefit just cost me $429. Shoots bugholes. Next objection.
I shouldn't care about my 308 WIN because other people are burning out barrels in other cartridges...weird thought pattern here.

You also can't speak for everyone just because it is something you think or do. "Egocentrism" is the word of the day for this.

I shouldn't care about my 308 WIN because other people are burning out barrels in other cartridges...weird thought pattern here.

You also can't speak for everyone just because it is something you think or do. "Egocentrism" is the word of the day for this.

One thing is true. The 308 Win is one if not the cartridge that delivers to the bullet more energy per grain of powder. Since bullet energy is directly related to speed, it delivers more speed per grain of powder than virtually all 30 caliber cartridges. So, given that ability, it is not surprising that the 308Win can have a longer barrel life than other less efficient cartridges like the 220Swift, the 243Win, the 300Wea, and even the 300 WM. The short magnums, especially the Sherman Shorts also seem to deliver more speed with less powder. So to me it's clear. With a 308Win, you can have your cake and eat at least some of it, that is speed with a longer throat life.

For sure, I get it. I'm just looking at short range stuff with this rifle, so a good MPB with decent energy. I'll probably go with something smaller like a 130 or 125. That bullet weight seems like it would be pretty fun out of a short 308.
Thanks

Too lazy to load ammo, I am running meplatted M118 LRs at 2500 from both suppressed 16-1/2 gas and bolt guns. Never lost a hog shot with meplatted 175 SMKs up to 300 yards. No exit holes, but no runners either.

...The short magnums, especially the Sherman Shorts also seem to deliver more speed with less powder. So to me it's clear. With a 308Win, you can have your cake and eat at least some of it, that is speed with a longer throat life.

Hence my interest in them and the 308. Others may have a devil may care attitude regarding cartridge efficiency and barrel live, I never have. To each his own.

This thread would be dedicated to ways to improve the performance of the 308 Win or the 7.62x51 mm cartridge without wildcatting the case. Experienced and innovative reloaders should find this interesting and are encouraged to participate. The 308Win is so versatile, inherently accurate and commonly used, and yet its performance in terms of MV, trajectory and speed is a bit mediocre. I am sure it can out perform the 3006. To start with I offer up my favorite hunting load I have used for the past 6/7 years in the 308Win. The 150 gr BD or BD2 with 49 gr of Leverevolution going 2920 fps from a 1:10, 20"Douglas barrel in a short action rifle. The same load from a 24" Bartlein 1:9 twist barrel goes 3050 fps. This load would be a pretty decent long range Elk load to 900 yds or so.
900 yds on elk? No way you will have enough velocity or energy, no matter what. Think, "clean and ethical kill". BTW, the simple fact is that a 30.06 case capacity is larger. It will always out perform a 308. If you need/want to take a longer shot, change cartridge. There are many better for this long shot. The 308 is range limited. Usually good for up to 500 yds, maybe 600 yds - depending on the game involved. Just in case your wondering, the 308 is my favorite cartridge. I've been loading it for over 45 years. But I know it's limitations well. In the end, it your money and time. Good luck. Stay safe and have fun.

"I am sure it can out perform the 30-06" Wow, I am sure just the opposite is true. When both cartridges are loaded the same way with the
same pressures, the larger capacity case wins.
I have 2 good 308's and I shoot them more than my other rifles except for 223. When I want more than the 308, I go with my 30-06 and for sure if I was going after long range Elk, I will take my 300WM.
I have nothing against getting the most (safely) out of any cartridge, but this thread has been a mixed bag for sure!

900 yds on elk? No way you will have enough velocity or energy, no matter what. Think, "clean and ethical kill". BTW, the simple fact is that a 30.06 case capacity is larger. It will always out perform a 308. If you need/want to take a longer shot, change cartridge. There are many better for this long shot. The 308 is range limited. Usually good for up to 500 yds, maybe 600 yds - depending on the game involved. Just in case your wondering, the 308 is my favorite cartridge. I've been loading it for over 45 years. But I know it's limitations well. In the end, it your money and time. Good luck. Stay safe and have fun.
You need to account for the characteristics of not only the SRP brass and the high energy of LVR powder but also the high bc of the Badlands bullets. See the JBM trajectory calculation for the 150 and 175g 308 BD2 bullets. The MVs I quoted in those trajectory calculations are from loads I have used many times safely with no pressure signs. The high speed that LVR is able to impart to these high BC bullets combine to significantly outperform conventional copper and lead core bullets. Note these are calculations made at standard sea level conditions. You can recalculate the trajectory calculations at 4500 ft elevation which is even more favorable and more realistic elevation at which Elk are taken. These MVs are achieved from 24" Bartlein 1:9 twist barrel and measured using a Lab Radar. Brass used was Lapua Palma and primer was the CCI450 primer at a COAL of 2.950". Action was a Savage short action. Powder was Leverevolution starting at 45 gr and increasing the charge by 1 gr until some primer flattening is seen.

Attachments

• IMG_6667.png
    IMG_6667.png
    236.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6668.png
    IMG_6668.png
    182 KB · Views: 32
Nothing but a stock .308 Win, Model 99 Savage from 1960. 1 in 12, Weaver hunting scope 3x9, I believe V9 no turrets, shooting PMC Bronze 147 Grain off the shelf rounds.18X24inch target with 1" numbers.This was the first time sighting my fathers gun he passed down to me since 1982. I was shooting 3 rounds per set. There is a clover and a 8 as you can see. The top center alone was the first of the set for the 8 and a final adjustment. Then hit the 8 , reloaded 3 rounds and shot the clover. Distance 300 yds, wind~0, Temp 85 plus, Humidity, Georgia summer Hell! Location Ft Moore ( Formally FT Benning )Recreational Shooting Complex. Many Blacktail at 100 - 200 yds with this gun over the years. I would not expect to take a large Elk with this past 500 yds. As for accuracy given the right conditions, I would trust lead on steel to 1000. Understanding the hobbie, what more are we all looking for? Seems like fine performance?

IMG_20170708_140250.jpg
IMG_20170708_130637.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing bu ta stock .308 Win, Model 99 Savage from 1960. 1 in 12, Weaver hunting scope 3x9, I believe V9 no turrets, shooting PMC Bronze 147 Grain off the shelf rounds.18X24inch target with 1" numbers.This was the first time sighting my fathers gun he passed down to me since 1982. I was shooting 3 rounds per set. There is a clover and a 8 as you can see. The top center alone was the first of the set for the 8 and a final adjustment. Then hit the 8 , reloaded 3 rounds and shot the clover. Distance 300 yds, wind~0, Temp 85 plus, Humidity, Georgia summer Hell! Location Ft Moore ( Formally FT Benning )Recreational Shooting Complex. Many Blacktail at 100 - 200 yds with this gun over the years. I would not expect to take a large Elk with this past 500 yds. As for accuracy given the right conditions, I would trust lead on steel to 1000. Understanding the hobbie, what more are we all looking for? Seems like fine performance?

View attachment 466841View attachment 466840
I am playing around with a Savage 99 in .308 right now. I have loaded 165 grain Sierra bullets with H380 and Federal magnum primers. First five shots showed an extreme spread of 6 FPS. I was shooting at rocks, so I don't know they group yet. Loaded more but have not gone to the range yet. Your post was encouraging. Thank you. I have shot one whitetail at about 130 yards with this rifle so far.

Recent Posts