Improving the 308 Win performance

900 yards on an Elk? I'm seeing less than 550 ft/bls at 900y even if you're pushing it at 3050 fps.

I'm also sort of curious what you're saying it about it outperforming 30-06 when your standard velocities for a 150grn load are going to be 2850-3000 fps. Let alone going to a heavier bullet with the '06 like a 180grn you'll still be high 2700's starting velocity.

But all that aside. I've got two favored loads for my .308s, 168 SMKs I don't push them real fast but I've taken hundreds of hogs from 0-250 yards and a lot of deer. My new favorite, within the last three years, are 110 V-Max moving at about 2950 fps out of a short-ish barrel is doing amazing work for me at the ranges I hunt from coyotes to hogs to deer and was shockingly accurrate, don't tear up magazines, and feed well through a semi.
Look at the difference in powder space!!!!! Let's go apples to apples!!!

IMO the point of the thread is improving the performance of the 308 win. I have a 30-06 and look for a larger caliber with more range. If I can obtain that added performance and range from a smaller cartridge like the 308 Win then that's fine. We all hear that bullet placement is key. That that is far more important than cartridge. If that's the case then using a well loved 308 win rifle might be the answer.

In my position, I like getting what I can from what I have. Not only expense of another caliber but I am somewhat limited in recoil do to health. If for instance a 150 gr BD2 at 2900 to 3000 is possible and from what I have read here, little recoil is had....this is great. I've been using lighter recoiling cartridges since 93. Tried the heavier just had a price to pay. Also I won't lie here finance is also something I must take into consideration.

I'm in the same boat. I just assembled my 260 AI with a barrel I got in trade. I try to be creative when funds are short.
Had a couple guys on an another site tell me to go be poor somewhere else after making a similar statement there. So I did. Ended up here and have enjoyed the folks here since. Time comes for us all and when it does, as many of us here know priorities really get the attention. At any rate I'm looking for a barrel for my Savage Stealth 6.5cm. It is a large shank. I'm seriously considering the prefit as to do as much myself assembling. My 308 can go a bit longer but it is in the running for a barrel as well. Both shoot fine as of last outing. Which has been a while. You know those times when one sickness comes after the other? I've been on one of those a while now. I'm praying to be some better next week though! The weather is looking good, as far as trusting forecasters?!🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Hmmm. I have both .308 and 30-06, plus AI versions of both. The 30-06 is much stronger in both versions, via 10% more powder and 40% more terminal performance. After 50 years as the standard sniper 30-06 round/rifle for the US Army and Marine shooters, replaced for 20 years with the .308, and now they've corrected their mistake and gone to the 300WM as their standard choice, for good reason. Bullet choice from 180, 190, 168, and now 200gn., and 1000+yds, 900yds, and now 1200+yds. The logic is quite obvious.

In my position, I like getting what I can from what I have. Not only expense of another caliber but I am somewhat limited in recoil do to health. If for instance a 150 gr BD2 at 2900 to 3000 is possible and from what I have read here, little recoil is had....this is great. I've been using lighter recoiling cartridges since 93. Tried the heavier just had a price to pay. Also I won't lie here finance is also something I must take into consideration.
Do you have a 308win, and if so what barrel length and twist