Improving the 260...

.38 MOA.jpg
I have another thread going about a 260 IMP I built. Look for 260 Remington AI. I stand corrected on the "AI" because it is only 30 degree shoulders and JE Customs will jump on you for being not correct. I found my sweet spot is 43.5 gr under a 142 SMK. My 5 shot group was 0.38 MOA @ 100 yds. This was unfireformed Peterson brass. I'm going to start playing with seating depth on fireformed brass to see if I can tighten the groups up even more.

Last edited:
JE didn't "jump on you". He just corrected you. But, since P.O. Ackley was actually dead before the .260 Rem ever came around, technically NONE of them are "AI" cartridges, they were just designed using his improvement style and dimensions. They are all simply .260 Rem Imp. I still call it a .260 AI, even though it's a misnomer. It's not a big deal, but sometimes we like to discuss and argue semantics. :cool:

JE didn't "jump on you". He just corrected you. But, since P.O. Ackley was actually dead before the .260 Rem ever came around, technically NONE of them are "AI" cartridges, they were just designed using his improvement style and dimensions. They are all simply .260 Rem Imp. I still call it a .260 AI, even though it's a misnomer. It's not a big deal, but sometimes we like to discuss and argue semantics. :cool:
I get use to people wanting to argue semantics. It is like opinions!

You are absolutely correct Mud. Thanks !!
I stand corrected. Part of my list of AI cartridges came from Guns & Ammo and Shooting Times, so it looks like they took liberties in there writings.

Here is one of the list I found with explanations. = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P.O._Ackley

It is one of the many Cartridges that follow the Ackley design that He tested. Still trying to find out if he did any testing on this cartridge. the 260 Rem started life as a wild cat like many cartridges of today, creative loaders/shooters experimented with many cartridges and later they became known as something else. The 6.5x08 started commercial life called a 6.5 08 A Square Then Remington re named it when they came out with the 260 Rem.

To bad Remington has turned away from the innovations they once did. they also had one of the first true short Mags called the 6.5 Remington Magnum. I have also read that 6.5's were not popular in the US (They should see how wrong they were now days).

Learn something every day On this site.

J E CUSTOM

I have built a few on ruger short actions. My hunter has a chromoly 24 inch 1-8 twist hand lapped number 6 profile, 0.675 at the muzzle. My target rifle has a 28 inch 1-8 twist hand lapped number 7 profile, .775 at the muzzle.
Both shoot the 139gr lapua scenar very well.
Minimum barrel length I would recommend for the .260 rem or the AI variant would be 24 inches. Any shorter and you will lose the velocity andvantage.

View attachment 139924 I have another thread going about a 260 IMP I built. Look for 260 Remington AI. I stand corrected on the "AI" because it is only 30 degree shoulders and JE Customs will jump on you for being not correct. I found my sweet spot is 43.5 gr under a 142 SMK. My 5 shot group was 0.38 MOA @ 100 yds. This was unfireformed Peterson brass. I'm going to start playing with seating depth on fireformed brass to see if I can tighten the groups up even more.

Sorry If you thought I was jumping on you. I was only offering up what I know. I cant jump on anyone because I have been wrong many times and can only offer my experience in some things . When we post on this site, we often get corrected. Most of the time it is Informative and constructive. Some time it is a personal attack but not very often.

I am always interested in a different opinion. (That's how we learn)

J E CUSTOM

Sorry If you thought I was jumping on you. I was only offering up what I know. I cant jump on anyone because I have been wrong many times and can only offer my experience in some things . When we post on this site, we often get corrected. Most of the time it is Informative and constructive. Some time it is a personal attack but not very often.

J E CUSTOM

Jerry,

This is one of the reasons why you are one of the good guys and well respected LRH member and why I look up to you. Those many years of "real-world" experiences (especially as a gunsmith/rifle builder) are invaluable and you are always willing and able to share them. I also admire your humility and approach to things.

Cheers!
Ed

J E CUSTOM
I'm not worried about it Sir. I'm wrong most of the time myself.

I am planning to Ackley Improve my Remington 260. I've read and considered all the arguments for and against the AI. My question here is what is the most ideal barrel length and twist to achieve the maximum accuracy and velocity. I realize there will be a process of selecting powders and bullets, and fine tuning them, but I really want to hear your tho'ts about length and twist.

I am planning to Ackley Improve my Remington 260. I've read and considered all the arguments for and against the AI. My question here is what is the most ideal barrel length and twist to achieve the maximum accuracy and velocity. I realize there will be a process of selecting powders and bullets, and fine tuning them, but I really want to hear your tho'ts about length and twist.
My question is why AI the 260 Rem when you only shoot out to 350 yards? You have to fire form your brass so you will go through it twice as fast. I'v hunted w/ my 260 Rem sense 1997 out to 1400 yards. You get less than 50 fps when you AI the case. Even if you don't AI the casing you can get around 2850 FPS from a 20" barrel. That still has enough punch to take white tail all day long at 1125 yards with a 140 grain VLD Berger Bullet. Iv surpassed 1400 yards on coyotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.