Improving a 338-378 Accumark

AA27AA

This is my first post on this site but I've reading it from day one, so I would like to ask some of ya'll a question and if it's been asked before I apologizes for not finding it in the search but here goes. I'm wanting to have Kirby build me a new 338 rifle but I spent to much money on a Perazzi trap gun this year(I'm typing this while my wife at work so no one tell her). So what I decided to do is to have my accumark re cut to some version of a improved cartridge. What I want is all the horsepower i can get with a 250 to 300gr. pill. with at least 28" worth of rifling's and a brake. I will be toten this on horse back and on my shoulder so I'm thinking something along 15# or so. I my question is can I rechamber my accumark now, then have it re-barreled sometime this year. Then next year have Kirby do his thing on a new rifle. Does this make sense because I dang sure have confused myself.
p.s. Kirby I'm still having trouble with your e-mail, it my be my wife sabotaging me (new gun blues)
Many thanks Rocky

Set that Accumark up as best you can. Shoot the 338-378 in the 26" barrel. Improving will not show big gains in this length of barrel. You already have a lot of horsepower, you just need to get it to shoot.

There is precious little on this planet that is going to complain about 100fps difference when using 250 to 300gr bullets. Certainly, nothing this side of a mile.

Save your pennies and rebarrel if the orig does not shoot to your liking. No use building the rifle twice.

Jerry

SeniorSendero

Real good reason to set up some T1 plates at 1500 or better and when you "whang" one of those...it'll be better than ya first orgasm!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts