Improved cartridges.

The more AI cartridges I add to my arsenal the more there growing on me.
Like you said JE fireforming cases done properly is no big deal theres some out there that think its voodoo magic.
I sure like not having to trim the AI cases.

The more AI cartridges I add to my arsenal the more there growing on me.
Like you said JE fireforming cases done properly is no big deal theres some out there that think its voodoo magic.
I sure like not having to trim the AI cases.

There are many that feel Improving a cartridge is not worth it, And in many uses, It isn't. In many instances extra velocity is not needed so It is not important to many. The advantage comes from the ability to shoot the same velocity with less pressure, or a larger bullet at the same velocity with the same pressure.

Other factors like case life, stretch, efficiency (Less powder) and the ability to hunt while fire forming cases make the Improved cases very desirable for many reasons. One of the biggest reasons I see in this sport is the fact that many run there loads extra hot (Beyond SAMMI pressures in order to reach max velocity with a particular bullet. When you Improve (Correctly) a cartridge you can add 100 to 200+ ft/sec of velocity and lower the pressure to safe limits and still reach that velocity number you wanted and save your equipment and cases.

As you said: L.Sherm, It is not voodoo or magic if it is a well planed improved cartridge. Personally I don't recommend anything except factory cartridges for the shooter that doesn't re load or doesn't need the advantages of the improved cartridge. But If a person is interested in one, I will gladly explain the advantage, and let him make up his own mind.

There are also many side benefits to a improved cartridge. They are great learning tools for the cause and effects of cartridge changes, that can help the re loader to load his Non improved cartridges for better performance. :cool:

J E CUSTOM

The brass stretch thing comes up often. It "should" be obvious to anyone who reloads that case stretch (the kind you end up trimming away) occurs during sizing of the case, not firing of the cartridge. Anyone can measure it. It's interesting how few actually do!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.