Improve on a .270wsm?

I have a 2007 Model 70 .270wsm that I can't for the life of me, get to shoot tight groups. I have tried 130-150 gr pills, but not much luck. It seams to like vertical stringing as its natural progression. I bought it used, so not sure how much use it has had. I have not tried the 165 gr Matrix yet, just a little discouraged I guess. The barrel heats up so fast that after 3 shots I have to wait 15-20 minutes for it to group again. I have made sure the scope and mounts are secure, so no movement there.
If I decide to rebarrell, I would definitely go to a faster twist rate, probable 1:9.

So my question is, has anyone done a .270 WSM Improved version? One that uses the same action? I like what a .270wsm does, and to me it seams like an ideal caliber for most any game, excluding dangerous game. I like accurate guns, but I have a hard time tolerating guns that don't shoot well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rhian (Bigngreen) have excellent experience and success with the .270 WSM and 165 Matrix, hopefully he'll chime in.

I have a Pac-Nor barrel in 270 WSM. It's a 24" 3-groove #5 that shoots anywhere from low .2s to mid-.6s depending on how picky I am with my hand loads and how patient I am with barrel cooling. I really like it. As far as I know they just have one reamer design, and on mine it puts the ABLR out at 2.9" touching the lands. They may have a throating reamer that could get you out a bit further. The 270 WSM is about maxed out in a short action with 150 grain bullets. You can shoot bigger bullets of course but you start eating up case capacity and you get marginal gains from going heavier than 150. The only way to get around it is to seat the bullets out a ways further but then you're looking at a longer action and you defeat the purpose of the WSM. I decided to stay with the 270 WSM when I rebarreled since I already had a bunch of brass, dies, bullets, etc. It would have been nice to squeeze some more performance out of it, but I just use it as a medium-long range round and it works very nicely. It's fine for target shooting past 1000 and I'm comfortable taking deer out to 800 if needed. Took a nice muley this year at 563 no sweat.

With your somewhat generous weight requirements I would probably go with a 26" barrel and the 165s should do pretty well. Talk to the guys at Pac-Nor about your contour, twist and throat requirements, they were very helpful in my case.

If I can get the 165's to shoot, then I will be a happy man. I will definitely give PacNor a call next week. Glad to see your pleased with the .270wsm. This is my first LR build and I just want to learn as much as I can building it, and have fun.

Merry Christmas.

If I can get the 165's to shoot, then I will be a happy man. I will definitely give PacNor a call next week. Glad to see your pleased with the .270wsm. This is my first LR build and I just want to learn as much as I can building it, and have fun.

Merry Christmas.

I am not certain…but I believe that a saw a group of Matrix 165s, shot at 500yrds, 10 shots under 3 inches.

I believe that it was shot by Marshal at Matrix bullets with a 270WSM AI.

You may want to shoot him an email to see if he can give you some info…

Merry Christmas

Longtooth,

No foolin someone actually made an Ackley improved 270 WSM? I would like to read exactly what was done. 35 degree shoulder to 40? Body taper change? I cannot imagine any improvement in velocity, perhaps less case stretch. Pretty crazy if you ask me. Lots of money spent on a reamer and custom dies for an AI version that IMO improves nothing.

Please share with us all you know.

Thanks

Ross

Longtooth,

No foolin someone actually made an Ackley improved 270 WSM? I would like to read exactly what was done. 35 degree shoulder to 40? Body taper change? I cannot imagine any improvement in velocity, perhaps less case stretch. Pretty crazy if you ask me. Lots of money spent on a reamer and custom dies for an AI version that IMO improves nothing.

Please share with us all you know.

Thanks

Ross

Send Marshal at Matrix bullets an email…I believe that it was his gun…

I am just shooting a 270 WBY with a Benchmark 28" 1-9 barrel...

I had a 270 weatherby and it was an awesome LR coues wt killer. It must really move the bullet along with a 28" barrel!!

No offence to you just found it a bit looney to make an improved version of the 270 WSM. I suppose if a person wants something they should have it.

I had a 270 weatherby and it was an awesome LR coues wt killer. It must really move the bullet along with a 28" barrel!!

No offence to you just found it a bit looney to make an improved version of the 270 WSM. I suppose if a person wants something they should have it.

It moves 150gr bullets @ 3350fps with out any pressure issues...

Merry Christmas

It moves 150gr bullets @ 3350fps with out any pressure issues...

Merry Christmas

No offense taken. Just trying to get as much out of this cute little cartridge as I can. I talked to Chris over at PacNor and he said that they will set me up with a 8" twist 26" barrel. #6 contour. If I have to go to a bigger box and hog out the action a little, so be it. Does anyone have a good starting point for the OAL with the Matrix 165's?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.