Impressed with the Berger 300grn Elite Hunter.

WildBillG

I was deawn for antlered Mule Deer here in Alberta this year. Ihad aa 338 RUM built on a Weatherby Mk V action. The barrel is 30 inches long with a Cadex break and 9.3 twist. I decided I would load it with the Berger 300grn Elite Hunters. They are on top of 91.5 grains of N570 a Fed 215 primer using Bertram brass. My velocity is 2845fps which I was impressed with.
At the begining of the month I got a 3 year old buck that I believe beeded to be culled for genetics reasons. The shot was 623 tards entering in front of the front leg and exiting in front of opposite rear leg. My fear was that at that range maybe these heavt bullets would not open. To my joy they opened and performed perfectly. I would like to shoot a deer up close now and see how they perfoorm.
Have others used these 300grn Bergers and how did they perform for you. Post pictures if you have some for us to see.

I was using the Berger 300g OTM out of a custom 338-416 Rigby Improved @ 3150-3200fps depending on powder used.
At extreme ranges, 1000-1300mtr, those bullets did strange things, they didn't open and tumbled. The one's I recovered showed expansion at the tips on one side only…could not tell if it was due to blocked tips or not. Tried pointing and tipping them, made no difference, it was obvious this was outside of their performance window.
I had good results 800 and in, but this is not what my rifle is for.

Cheers.

Recent Posts