Impressed with Rem brass

midwesthunter

I just got a new bag of a 100 Rem .223 brass to do some lader test with. Last night I started measuring all the cases and was surprised with the OAL to be with in .003 of each other. With 90 of them being exactly the same, and only 2 were .002 under, and 2 cases were unuseable. That left 6 that were .001 biger then the average. I will be loading 69 grain SMK's with CCI primers and H335, Varget, BLC2, and RE7. Tonite Im throwing powder and hopefully the wind will calm down and I can do some testing.

I sometimes get amused by web posters loudly proclaiming that one brand of brass is junk and another if very good, etc. Actually, it's all pretty good when the machines have new dies and have recently been overhauled/adjusted. As things wear it degrades a bit of course. Meaning that how good any individual lot of cases is depends on luck as much as brand or price paid. :D

I used to have the same issues with peg board when building Sportsmans Warehouses. as long as you use out of 1 stack only theyre great. as soon as you open a new unit, your screwed.
Also handy info. thanks boomtube

The best brass I've come across is Win reloading brass in WSSM.
The worst brass I've seen was a lot of Lapua 6br.

Ultimately, anyone should go with the best they can find, and they should have all they'll need of it, before filling out the reamer print.

I just received 150 winchester 300 win mag brass and it was pretty consistent as far as OAL goes. Have also used the Nosler brass in 7mmRemMag and have been pleased with it as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.