Impressed with my 17WSM.

The plastic stocks Savage uses on the B-Mag definitely leave a lot to be desired for sure. They're crap! My stainless heavy varminter has a Boyds lightweight thumbhole, as described on the Savage sight. The sporter, or "pencil barrel" came with the crummy plastic one. I used it for a while like that and I just learned to work around it. When Boyds came out with the Spike camp I jumped on it. Decent no-frills stock for the lightweight. As for the bolt cycle, it does take some getting used to. The cock on close was a Lee Enfield design dating back to WW1 I believe. The Britts loved it and it was fast once you were properly trained. They had a drill called the mad minute. If I recall it was 10 shots fired accurately in 60 seconds. Quite a feat with a bolt gun. Something I have run into with the bolt on the B-Mag on my lightweight sporter. The bolt can be cycled down before it's in battery. It's not a deal breaker since I've been using the rifle for over 10 years now. Just another workaround. I haven't really noticed it on the varminter. It's about 5-6 years newer. Mabey its something that was worked out of the original design. I'll have to check it out to see for sure.

The plastic stocks Savage uses on the B-Mag definitely leave a lot to be desired for sure. They're crap! My stainless heavy varminter has a Boyds lightweight thumbhole, as described on the Savage sight. The sporter, or "pencil barrel" came with the crummy plastic one. I used it for a while like that and I just learned to work around it. When Boyds came out with the Spike camp I jumped on it. Decent no-frills stock for the lightweight. As for the bolt cycle, it does take some getting used to. The cock on close was a Lee Enfield design dating back to WW1 I believe. The Britts loved it and it was fast once you were properly trained. They had a drill called the mad minute. If I recall it was 10 shots fired accurately in 60 seconds. Quite a feat with a bolt gun. Something I have run into with the bolt on the B-Mag on my lightweight sporter. The bolt can be cycled down before it's in battery. It's not a deal breaker since I've been using the rifle for over 10 years now. Just another workaround. I haven't really noticed it on the varminter. It's about 5-6 years newer. Mabey its something that was worked out of the original design. I'll have to check it out to see for sure.
My skinny barreled, black stocked WSM BMAG had the usual short comings so I bedded the stock and added two steel threaded 3/16" rods in the forearm. I also centered the barrel in the forearm as part of the bedding job.

Before, accuracy depended upon where the forearm was rested. Bedding cured the problem.

My reason for keeping the black stock was carry weight.

Attachments

• Dead squirrel with gun.jpg
    Dead squirrel with gun.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 52
Year and a half of no shipments, wonder if savage is working out kinks or if the no show means a quiet cancel. Tough to tell in this market, could be something as simple as waiting to launch until some ammo ships. Would think shipping an autoloader out when no ammo is available for a new customer might be worth avoiding. Lord knows my bolt to autoloader transition increased ammo consumption.

Hope it does come out, autoloader 17wsm is a hoot.
That's interesting… I love the 17 WSM and was going to order a custom rifle in a RimX (Zermatt rimfire action) as I've got one in 22LR and love it, but went a different direction. My BMAG shoots decent but I wish the cartridge had more support in general from an ammo standpoint. I've got an A17 as well in the HMR but the E Idaho wind pushes that around so much more than the WSM.

My skinny barreled, black stocked WSM BMAG had the usual short comings so I bedded the stock and added two steel threaded 3/16" rods in the forearm. I also centered the barrel in the forearm as part of the bedding job.

Before, accuracy depended upon where the forearm was rested. Bedding cured the problem.

My reason for keeping the black stock was carry weight.
I did bed my original plastic stock and stiffened and centered the forearm with a piece of aluminum channel. Sounds like we're on the same page. But I do like the spike camp stock a lot more. The feel I guess? I modified it too. Trimmed off the excess forearm extension, then plane down the "bump" Boyds puts on the lower part of it. That probably knocked off a few ounces. Mine is still the lightest (most potent per pound) rifle I have. I also kept the weight down with my optics. Put an Athlon compact 4x12x40 scope on it. "0" at 100 yards. Decent glass for the money. I dispatched chucks easily out to 200 yards with it. My varminter is a little heftier at around 9-10 pounds. I'm using a Vortex Crossfire II 6x18x40 1-inch tube zeroed at 150 yards. I've managed some 300+ yard scores with it on calm days. Knocks "em" down, they don't get up!!

That's interesting… I love the 17 WSM and was going to order a custom rifle in a RimX (Zermatt rimfire action) as I've got one in 22LR and love it, but went a different direction. My BMAG shoots decent but I wish the cartridge had more support in general from an ammo standpoint. I've got an A17 as well in the HMR but the E Idaho wind pushes that around so much more than the WSM.
Ammo support seems to have dried up. I've purchased WSM for as little as $11 a box. But that was 3-4 years ago. Luckily I bought enough to keep me going for a while. (target shooting NOT!) But it is crazy out there. I found it today, 6/2/23, on ammo seek for,,, are you sitting down??,, $80 a box!! That's 50 rounds for 80 frickin dollars!!! I contacted Winchester a few months ago, as I stated in a previous thread, and the excuse was military ammo production increases? Sounds like BS to me. Frankly, I don't see the connection between center-fire ammo and rimfire production. They have plenty of 22lr, 17Hmr, and even 17 Mach II available. Maybe they are out of the 27 cal blanks? The case they use is based on the construction 27 ramset, but thicker. So I sent them another email today. I'll see what the excuse is this time.. GRRRRR. PS. Conspiracy theory. Maybe the government doesn't like the idea of an "untraceable" rimfire round that is capable of centerfire ballistics?? HMMMM. Ya, that's pretty far-fetched, even for me!

Even a near miss, just a graze with the .17 WSM is lethal. This one came home with me. Click on the picture.

Attachments

• 239459446_3984561408312402_6219546301192152184_n.jpg
    239459446_3984561408312402_6219546301192152184_n.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 61
The 17 WSM is by far the most destructive of the 17s. I consider ut a rim fire 22-250.
I did not realise the ammo had become so hard to find. that is a real shame. It is not the most accurate rim fire. But it is defenitely the most fun to to shoot small game with if you want it to disappear.

For you guys that have the BMags, have they corrected the fail to fire issue on the newer versions. I know when I looked at them, maybe 7 or 8 years ago, everyone was dumping them because they failed to fire and there seemed to be no solution to fix them
To make a story short, it was the long skinny return firing pin spring, not the firing pin nor the firing pin spring. Solution that cured it was a few rings of the skinny return spring removed. Note: It takes 3 hands to assemble the bolt after the fix. I had the problem with my early (1st model) skinny barreled rifle.

Well, I "bit the bullet". I cleaned and oiled up my B-Mag varminter. Locked it in my gun safe and am replacing it with a build I'm working on in 17 Fireball. I am going to keep using my B-Mag light "pencil barrel" for my walking rifle. The ammo shortage is kinda "bummin" me out. I have over 700 rounds so I'm good for a while, especially if I limit shooting to one rifle. I put a bunch of feelers out on where the ammo is. I got the usual form letter from Winchester "Due to the ammunition demand" yada, yada. I have had no response at all from Hornady. I actually did get a call from a Federal rep. He told me that Federel had stopped production indefinitely last year. We had a nice little chat and he said as far as he knows Winchester is the only manufacturer that will be producing it in the future. I also contacted Savage, since they are the major suppliers of the rifles using the WSM and they emailed me back that they have no control over the manufacture of the ammunition but the B-Mag is still in full production and according to the reply, they are coming out with an A series in 17 WSM in the near future. That would be interesting, a semi-auto WSM! Another rumor, I heard on this thread somewhere, is that Winchester was supposed to start production again back in March, but the machinery broke down and they were waiting on repairs. They are supposed to be running off a new lot as I type and is supposed to be available soon. As for now, it's a wait-and-see game. As for the Winchester ammo demand, I'm hearing rumors that the government is "power buying" ammo to create an artificial shortage. Kinda sounds familiar, remember 2012-2016 Mr nObumer pulled the same crap on us. Our tax dollars at work. Against us again!

I pickrd up a 17wsm in the savage target model a month ago. So far this little round and gun have really impressed me. Tonight my son and I went fox hunting to help a neighbor out. We got an adult Rrd Fox at 165 yards and that little bullet sure hates foxes. The hole in the chest of that fox looked to be quarter sized. To tell the truth I thought they might be real pealt savers. This is not all the little gun has killed and all kills have been impressive. In fact it seems to have a nack for hitting what you aim at.
A few weeks ago I let my son shoot a gallon milk jug full of water at 50yds. The damage that tiny 20 grain bullet did to that jug floored me. The bestpart was it gave my son confience in his shooting ability. The gun has still not been on the sand bags just sighted in using a bipod.
i hope to see just how well it can really shoot soon.
I had the exact rifle and after putting about $500 in it it became a decent shooter.How Savage ever released such a crappy rifle is beyond my comprehension.However the cartridge is great I hope yours shoots well.I changed stock, free floated the barrel, trigger job decent optics.However the 17 hornet is my go to , CZ 527 .

Well, I "bit the bullet". I cleaned and oiled up my B-Mag varminter. Locked it in my gun safe and am replacing it with a build I'm working on in 17 Fireball. I am going to keep using my B-Mag light "pencil barrel" for my walking rifle. The ammo shortage is kinda "bummin" me out. I have over 700 rounds so I'm good for a while, especially if I limit shooting to one rifle. I put a bunch of feelers out on where the ammo is. I got the usual form letter from Winchester "Due to the ammunition demand" yada, yada. I have had no response at all from Hornady. I actually did get a call from a Federal rep. He told me that Federel had stopped production indefinitely last year. We had a nice little chat and he said as far as he knows Winchester is the only manufacturer that will be producing it in the future. I also contacted Savage, since they are the major suppliers of the rifles using the WSM and they emailed me back that they have no control over the manufacture of the ammunition but the B-Mag is still in full production and according to the reply, they are coming out with an A series in 17 WSM in the near future. That would be interesting, a semi-auto WSM! Another rumor, I heard on this thread somewhere, is that Winchester was supposed to start production again back in March, but the machinery broke down and they were waiting on repairs. They are supposed to be running off a new lot as I type and is supposed to be available soon. As for now, it's a wait-and-see game. As for the Winchester ammo demand, I'm hearing rumors that the government is "power buying" ammo to create an artificial shortage. Kinda sounds familiar, remember 2012-2016 Mr nObumer pulled the same crap on us. Our tax dollars at work. Against us again!
As for the Savage 17 Sporter .17 WSM shown below, I ordered mine over a year and a half ago.

As for my pencil barrel plastic stock BMAG .17 WSM, it shoots great after some homie work on it. It will suffice until the A17 shows up. Savage excuse was a while back, delay of delivery of the rifle is due to post Covid shipping delays.

I am fortunate to have quite a bit of 20gr ammo laid away. Savage changed their 1/9 twist barrels to 1/8 twist so newer rifles usually prefer the 25gr fodder.

I have 1 box of 25 gr. My pencil barrel shoots both 20gr and 25gr really great but of course, my old 1/9 twist barrel has different POIs.

Attachments

• 1561650765190614711 Savage A17.jpg
    1561650765190614711 Savage A17.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 46
First time I've seen one. Good looking rifle. I just hope that Winchester starts cranking out ammo soon or I think a lot of people, like me, will opt for moving on to a reloadable high-performance, high-efficiency cartridge. Why I settled on the .17 Fireball over the .17 Hornet or .20 Vartarg? The Fireball was standardized by Remington. It was originally called the .17 Mach IV. I read somewhere it was created in part by Ackley. The brass is available, but pricey. The factory-loaded ammo from Nosler is also available, and pricey. But at least it's available. The .20 Vartarg is still a wildcat and has no SAMMI specs yet. It requires quite a bit of tuning, case neck concentricity is very critical on the round when forming brass from the .221. I love reloading but I just want to shoot the **** thing, if you know what I mean. As for the .17 Hornet, I was going to go that route but it's not as versatile as .222-.223-based cartridges. In other words, if I want or have to swap barrels to another cartridge the Hornet is confined to the .22 Hornet or the K-Hornet. With the Fireball I can go .222, .223, .221, 6.5 Grendel, .300 Blackout, tc. Anything with the same bolt face. I'm still frustrated with the .17 WSM, especially after talking to the Federal rep. If Winchester doesn't do it I don't think anybody will. Unless someone buys the tooling and the rights to manufacture the stuff. If that should happen I think, and this is my own personal feeling, it's gonna be twice the money per box$$! Heck, it still might be with Winchester since they were losing money on it. Or so they said.

First time I've seen one. Good looking rifle. I just hope that Winchester starts cranking out ammo soon or I think a lot of people, like me, will opt for moving on to a reloadable high-performance, high-efficiency cartridge. Why I settled on the .17 Fireball over the .17 Hornet or .20 Vartarg? The Fireball was standardized by Remington. It was originally called the .17 Mach IV. I read somewhere it was created in part by Ackley. The brass is available, but pricey. The factory-loaded ammo from Nosler is also available, and pricey. But at least it's available. The .20 Vartarg is still a wildcat and has no SAMMI specs yet. It requires quite a bit of tuning, case neck concentricity is very critical on the round when forming brass from the .221. I love reloading but I just want to shoot the **** thing, if you know what I mean. As for the .17 Hornet, I was going to go that route but it's not as versatile as .222-.223-based cartridges. In other words, if I want or have to swap barrels to another cartridge the Hornet is confined to the .22 Hornet or the K-Hornet. With the Fireball I can go .222, .223, .221, 6.5 Grendel, .300 Blackout, tc. Anything with the same bolt face. I'm still frustrated with the .17 WSM, especially after talking to the Federal rep. If Winchester doesn't do it I don't think anybody will. Unless someone buys the tooling and the rights to manufacture the stuff. If that should happen I think, and this is my own personal feeling, it's gonna be twice the money per box$$! Heck, it still might be with Winchester since they were losing money on it. Or so they said.
Ammo is unavailable as we speak or $2 a round on Gunjoker, I sold my WSM with 1000 rds of ammo for $1500 and went to a 17 hornet, would buy another but not a Savage.

Ya, I saw the Gunjoker prices! That's why I'm moving on to the Fireball. I Kind of agree with you on the Savage. The only Hornet option I found was the "walking varminter" and I'm not too keen on the way it's set up, bolt head, magazine, etc. I hear they have a lot of feeding issues. Overall, I like Savage. I've had great success with their products in most cases. The problem ones they handled asap, and they seem to always get it right the second time!! I have had other brands in the past that have had problems too, but sometimes it was a headache getting things straightened out without shelling out more dough to a gunsmith. I'm on a fixed income, (and boy it gets more fixed every day) so I really have to stay within a budget. I have one nephew on the farm that always gets the best, and I mean the most outrageous best! He mostly uses a suppressed Christianson arms custom 6mm Ackley he had built topped off with a $5000 Nightforce scope. He spent more on that than I get in a year and the groundhogs he gets aint any more dead than the ones I get with my Savage 110 in 22-250 with a Vortex Crossfire II. He can reach out a little farther, but that goes without saying given a 6mm over a 5.56mm. The craziest thing he's done recently is had another custom build done in .375 Cheytac! He used another Nightforce scope, I believe up to 48X. Says he wants to be able to hit those chucks at 2000 yards!!! Between you and me, I'm 75 and I can't even lift that rifle at over 60 pounds!!! Unreal.
And it only cost him $12,000 to build!!! My SUV aint worth that much. HA HA

Recent Posts