Impressed with my 17WSM.

I have 2 B-Mags, a hbar target model and shorter, both in Boyd's thumbhole stocks. Both fairly accurate, 1.5 moa for the sporter, 1 moa for the target model. I was beginning to be concerned about the ammo situation, where as before I could always at least order it, but usually get some in person, the past few times I've looked I haven't even been able to order it! I picked up a bunch at $10 a box several years ago and wish I had picked up 4x the amount, mine is hell on crows for sure!

I have 2 B-Mags, a hbar target model and shorter, both in Boyd's thumbhole stocks. Both fairly accurate, 1.5 moa for the sporter, 1 moa for the target model. I was beginning to be concerned about the ammo situation, where as before I could always at least order it, but usually get some in person, the past few times I've looked I haven't even been able to order it! I picked up a bunch at $10 a box several years ago and wish I had picked up 4x the amount, mine is hell on crows for sure!
For you guys that have the BMags, have they corrected the fail to fire issue on the newer versions. I know when I looked at them, maybe 7 or 8 years ago, everyone was dumping them because they failed to fire and there seemed to be no solution to fix them. At the current prices, if they mixed that issue I may actually buy one. Lots of them on the cheap on GB!

For you guys that have the BMags, have they corrected the fail to fire issue on the newer versions. I know when I looked at them, maybe 7 or 8 years ago, everyone was dumping them because they failed to fire and there seemed to be no solution to fix them. At the current prices, if they mixed that issue I may actually buy one. Lots of them on the cheap on GB!
We haven't had an issue with the Thumbhole stock version I linked above. But we did have an early (ugly) black synthetic stocked "pencil" barrel version that shot good but had that "fail to fire" issue. Sent it to Savage and got it back, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

I have had the 17 WSM since it became available around 2012. I own 2 B-Mags, one stainless varminter, and my original "pencil' barrel. The ammo was very scarce early on. As a matter of fact, I bought the rifle and had to wait almost a year to get my hands on some 20-grain fodder. I literally replaced my HMRs and .22 Hornet with this one round. Its knockdown power on chucks out to 250 yards is amazing! It drops them instantly almost every time, not even a tail wag. Lights out!!
Luckily I stocked up on ammo over the years. I have noticed a shortage in the past year or so. So I contacted Winchester. Their excuse was they had to ramp up military ammo production. (I am confused why rimfire ammo would interfere with the military ammo, but whatever?) I remember getting it for $10-$11 a box up till about 4 years ago. The last stuff I bought a year or so ago was Hornady at a ridiculous $32 a box!! Needless to say, I only got 2 boxes, even though I didn't need them. (It's all Winchester anyway, just different head stamps.)
I Checked out Ammo-Seek a few weeks ago and it was available, but from what I saw only in bulk, 500 and 1000-round cases. I broke it down to an average cost of around $20 per 50-round box. You might want to check it out if you're in dire need. Good luck.
That being said I do have a little story on the "pencil" barrel that might prove interesting, and, or useful to anyone with the same problems.
When I first started shooting it the accuracy was so-so, not a tack driver by any means, but still usable out to 100-150 yards. When I got the varmint bull barrel model I started using the "pencil" as my "walking rifle" because it's lightweight. After about 4 or so years it was giving me the "shotgun" patterns that particular generation of rifle was so noted for. I contacted Savage and they had me send it back to them. I have to say the gunsmiths they have really dialed that thing in! They replaced the trigger assembly and shortened and re-crowned the barrel from the original 26 inches to 21 inches. At no cost to me! Thank you, Savage.
My guess is, there is a tuning issue and the 26-inch has quite a bit of barrel whip. It is now on par with the bull barrel in accuracy. Both shoot sub-MOA at a hundred yards.

Ya, the CZ would be an excellent choice. I'm not sure what the deal is with higher-end manufacturers not producing rifles in WSM, let alone Volquartsen dropping theirs. Might be they are playing the wait-and-see game. I know the diehard HMR guys keep "raggin" on the round. One of my cousins was one of those guys until last summer when he watched me knock over a chuck at 250 yards plus. He had to walk down the field to get a closer look because he thought it wasn't possible. I went down to our farm in March and lo and behold he had a brand new Ruger M-77 WSM on the bench sighting it in! We had a shoot-off and the B-Mag was substantially more accurate. Of course, he didn't have any trigger work done to it, and that is an accuracy killer on the Rugers. My B-Mags have served me well. Both of them are around 10 years old, have thousands of rounds through them and still driving tacks. Rifles like CZ, Volquartsn, or any other higher quality gun would probably outlast the Savages, plus hold their value much better. But for the buck Savage is hard to beat and their factory service is excellent. At least in my experience. Of course, they do have a few more lemons, but as I mentioned their service department will make it right.

Ruger made a few 77/17WSMs. Strictly collector items because of NO AMMO. l think a few folks made them too. From a personal point, l always buy ammo before l buy a gun. Being strictly a varmint shooter, l bought 17HMR ammo before l bought a 77/17HMR Ruger. My dream gun is a 17 FIREBALL. 20gr bullet @4000fps. First the ammo, then the GUN

Ruger made a few 77/17WSMs. Strictly collector items because of NO AMMO. l think a few folks made them too. From a personal point, l always buy ammo before l buy a gun. Being strictly a varmint shooter, l bought 17HMR ammo before l bought a 77/17HMR Ruger. My dream gun is a 17 FIREBALL. 20gr bullet @4000fps. First the ammo, then the GUN
I have a 17WSM, but I hadn't though about having 17 Fireball built. I have to some thinking and looking around.

I was getting a lot of misfires with my first model BMAG and my gunsmith pal fixed it. The problem was the firing pin return spring. He removed several loops from the return spring and problem solved. The spring ( the long skinny return spring, not the larger diameter powerful shorter firing pin spring) was causing an internal bind within.

I have a 17WSM, but I hadn't though about having 17 Fireball built. I have to some thinking and looking around.
I have built a few 17's and I'm always impressed. The 17-222 to date is my favorite head shooting a rabbit at 365 yards. I spent several seasons with it head shooting foxes out to 300 yards.
What a delight to shoot.

I never experienced a misfire from either of my B-Mags in the 10 years I've been shooting them. I have heard of the return spring issues on the B-Mags, but never experienced them myself. I did have a bunch of them with my HMRs. Mine were all firing pin/breech issues. My bad, accidentally dry-fired them too many times trying to hit running critters, and not keeping count. Ended up peening the breech on 2 of them, and broke the firing pin on the Marlin. Duh! They were a mix of Savage, Marlin, and Ruger American.
sw282 brought up an interesting fact about the Ruger 77WSM. Turns out my cousin picked it up at a gun show. It looked new, but I never ask where he got it or if it was new or used, so I had to get ahold of him last night to find out. I thought Ruger was still making them. Why Ruger and Volquartsen stopped production is not reassuring to us WSM shooters. I can only assume, (or wishful thinking,) most people were not ready to drop $1000+ on them. I know I couldn't afford either one.
As for the 17 Fireball! Ya, I looked into building one a few years ago. Or a 20 VarTarg. Either one would be great to have since I do a lot of reloading. Ammo would be less expensive. Unfortunately, I'm on a fixed income, (and boy is it "fixed"), and I can't seem to fit it into my budget. The brass is kind of pricey at over a buck a piece, so I had to let that dream go.
I guess I just gotta figure on using my 22-250 if I want to break the 4K barrier. But the noise with a Witt muzzle break is crazy! I can feel the hair on my legs and head move when I touch one off!! The trade-off is the recoil. It's like shooting a 10/22. And the weight of the rifle is a bit overwhelming at my age, definitely not for strolling through the fields!

I bought both a standard skinny barrel b mag and eventually the stainless plastic stock version. Both from Walmart clearance deals combined with mail in rebates. Think the blued was 134 plus a 25 rebate... it short fine. Good enough to vaporize squeaks to 200. Around the second box the bolt seized and it stopped working, we got home and shook the bolt as it was rattling. Some small what appeared to be crushed pins fell out, the bolt started working again and has since then. No idea where the bits of metal came from....

Bought the volquartsen and decided to stash the stainless b mag in my BIL safe and give the blued one to my hunting buddy for his kids to abuse on squeaks.

Went in to buy a 77 17 wsm and walked out with the 77/17 hornet... figured it was worth mixing it up a little. Glad I did, it's a shockingly mild centerfire round, and if my stash of 17 wsm ever dries up its at least re loadable.

I have built a few 17's and I'm always impressed. The 17-222 to date is my favorite head shooting a rabbit at 365 yards. I spent several seasons with it head shooting foxes out to 300 yards.
What a delight to shoot.
17-222. Interesting. I never cared much for the 17 Remington. I know it's a decent performer, but I'm one of those guys that always liked the quote "If it looks right, it is right". The 223 cases necked down to 17 just never looked right to me, Now a 222 case necked down to 17 makes more sense. Plus I think you would have fewer problems under-charging, given the case capacity, and less chance of a detonation occurring. It should be easier to find and resize brass as opposed to having to cut and reform for the 17 Fireball, and 17 Fireball brass is more than a buck a piece! I kinda have the same problem with the 204 Hornady using a 222 mag case necked down to 20 cal. That being said, I have a 204 and it shoots great! It still looks better than the 17 Rem. Now that I've ticked off some 17 Rem owners, sorry, I do like its performance so I guess looks aren't everything!! Just not my cup of tea.

I bought my stainless bull barrel Bmag back in 2015, also grabbed 1000 rounds off the shelf the same day and took on a sage rat shoot (Portland Oregon Cabelas). It was a laser beam and had less drop than stated. Only drawback with the stock rifle is that cheap stock and awkward bolt cycle, no misfires. Very impressive accuracy. Shot approximately 550 rounds, no break in or cleaning. I put patches and a snake down the bore and it was basically spotless. I recall reading back in 2015 the Winchester 20 grain were running a clean burning powder. No clue if that's true or not. Thanks for bringing back the thread, forgot I had the Bmag 😂

Recent Posts