Impressed with my 17WSM.

Last ammo run was last spring of the hornady variation, about 18 months ago some of the non lead was out. Supposedly some of the winchewter is due in mid June, but I'll belive it when it's on the shelf. The 17 hornet estimation was 6 weeks behind so..... maybe fall...
Yep: all the ammo company are doing a bang up job of suppling items. Like Large Rifle Primers, Some types of powders, Bullets are another thing too. Thye newer companies seem to be quicker, and at the same time developing bullet, brass, quick than the older companies. Or is it because one company has purchased several companies that make components, and now we can't get any of them. Larger rifle primers in any type or brands. I am seeing equipment that make primers for sale. Don't have any idea as to the cost of the equipment nor the set up, but equipment is out there.

There was also the whole "everything selling like mad". While the consolidation of ammo manufacturing certainly didn't help, neither did off shoring American mfg... or any other of the reasons you mention. The 17 wsm was in a malaise market wise in 2019, so it was still sitting on the shelf well into the 2020 absurdity. Lots of folks bought dusty 17wsm rifles and ammo because it was there... and then found out how awesome it was, and further helped deplete the stock. Then the companies looked at what rimfire rounds sell faster and started there first. Were near a year in steady supply for the 22lr and 17 hmr. Now win and 17 hm2 seem to be fairly prevalent. Guessing they will eventually get to the wsm when everything else is caught up.

Keep in mind we've had gun rushes before, but this last one was partially or maybe even heavily subsidized by the treasury department (or future tax payers if you will). Considering the slump we had right before covid, gun companies were really caught off guard.

Hopefully this time next year this is a moot conversarion.

My .17 HMR misfires almost as much as it fires. I am wondering if my ammo has gotten old, or is it my firing pin? I am going to replace the rifle before hunting season this fall. I want a .17 WSM--if I am find a good one at a reasonable price.

My current .17 HMR is a Marlin, stainless steel with a heavy "bull" barrel. It is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot, but it will be gone this summer.

Anyone have any ideas about a great WSM?

Anybody know if misfires are common in the HMRs? Do the .17 WSMs fire more reliable?

There is only ONE great one. The RimX. The B-mag is a steaming pile-of-**** and everything else are also-rans's.....
IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_E0771.JPG

IMG_3436.JPEG

^^^ ..our laminate thumb-hole stock with heavy barrel Savage WSM seems to be doing really well so far too.

Last edited:
My .17 HMR misfires almost as much as it fires. I am wondering if my ammo has gotten old, or is it my firing pin? I am going to replace the rifle before hunting season this fall. I want a .17 WSM--if I am find a good one at a reasonable price.

My current .17 HMR is a Marlin, stainless steel with a heavy "bull" barrel. It is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot, but it will be gone this summer.

Anybody know if misfires are common in the HMRs? Do the .17 WSMs fire more reliable?
What model is it ? This may help in figuring out your problem.

My RimX 17 wsm is awesome !!!!!!!!!!! Volquarsten (discontinued), Franklyn Armory, honorable mention.
All will become safe queens if ammo isn't produced @#$%^& !

Way back, when the .17WSM first came out, I was researching for a quality .17WSM rifle. There didn't seem to be much out there and at the time the B-Mag was IT and seemed to have lots of problems, including fail to fire. I settled on buying 2 versions of the Franklin Armory Upper and build my own. I bought one of the shorter version I believe was a 16 inch sporter contour with threaded muzzle and one with the 20 inch bull barrel. I ended up finishing up the shorter version and use it extensively as a varmint rifle and it serves me well and I can grab it and go and not be concerned about picking up brass and reloading. It does great on fox and smaller out to 150 yards. The ammo which I believe is made from nail gun brass has a very heavy rim and the fail to fire always seemed to be a problem with the round. I used a Hypertouch 3 gun trigger initially but had a nearly 50% failure to fire rate. I swapped out the included hammer spring with a Wolf Heavy Hammer Spring and that solved the problem, it fires 100% of the time every since. The heavier spring only had a minor effect on trigger pull and break. I never finished up the heavy barrel upper because I love this little AR version so much I didn't feel the need; but one of these days I will get around to it because I want to see how accurate this one will be. The short version will average around 1.5 MOA at 100 yards which is more than good enough for what I'm using it for. Chronographed velocity runs around 2950FPS. At the time I built the rifle I bought every version of .17WSM ammo I could find for testing and the Hornady 20grain seemed to win hands down. 17 grain Hornady and the Fed American Eagle didn't group very well. So, true to my hoarding nature I bought 8 cases of the Hornady 20gr and hopefully I will be well stocked for as long as I can still shoot. I would still love a quality bolt action .17WSM if I knew one existed for more precision work. But for now my Marlin Heavy Barrel stainless in .17HMR works for that and shoots SubMOA although is much more limited in range.

Way back, when the .17WSM first came out, I was researching for a quality .17WSM rifle. There didn't seem to be much out there and at the time the B-Mag was IT and seemed to have lots of problems, including fail to fire. I settled on buying 2 versions of the Franklin Armory Upper and build my own. I bought one of the shorter version I believe was a 16 inch sporter contour with threaded muzzle and one with the 20 inch bull barrel. I ended up finishing up the shorter version and use it extensively as a varmint rifle and it serves me well and I can grab it and go and not be concerned about picking up brass and reloading. It does great on fox and smaller out to 150 yards. The ammo which I believe is made from nail gun brass has a very heavy rim and the fail to fire always seemed to be a problem with the round. I used a Hypertouch 3 gun trigger initially but had a nearly 50% failure to fire rate. I swapped out the included hammer spring with a Wolf Heavy Hammer Spring and that solved the problem, it fires 100% of the time every since. The heavier spring only had a minor effect on trigger pull and break. I never finished up the heavy barrel upper because I love this little AR version so much I didn't feel the need; but one of these days I will get around to it because I want to see how accurate this one will be. The short version will average around 1.5 MOA at 100 yards which is more than good enough for what I'm using it for. Chronographed velocity runs around 2950FPS. At the time I built the rifle I bought every version of .17WSM ammo I could find for testing and the Hornady 20grain seemed to win hands down. 17 grain Hornady and the Fed American Eagle didn't group very well. So, true to my hoarding nature I bought 8 cases of the Hornady 20gr and hopefully I will be well stocked for as long as I can still shoot. I would still love a quality bolt action .17WSM if I knew one existed for more precision work. But for now my Marlin Heavy Barrel stainless in .17HMR works for that and shoots SubMOA although is much more limited in range.
My son shot a 5-shot group with our Savage 17 WSM that was around 0.5 MOA at 100 yds. Don't remember which ammo, but it shoots them all pretty good. Not a big fan of Savage, but this one has done us well so far.