Important life decision.

hefty

I'm just getting into Long Range. I have been using a .308 but I'm putting together a purpose built rifle in 264 Win Mag or 26 Nosler.

What I'm contemplating is is who to buy the barrel from. I could get an E.R. Shaw barrel and install it myself or I go with a Krieger or Lilja blank and have the local smith install it. The blank would be a much better barrel and I prefer to have a smith do this stuff.

On the other hand... The money I save with the E.R. Shaw barrel could get me a nice trigger or stock. I also might burn through this barrel at the range as I'm new to Long Range Shooting.
It's going on a savage 116 small shank action.
Thanks in advance for advice.

I feel gunsmiths are like Dr's and dentists. Highly skilled and trained pros. They do what they do everyday to tolerances you can't even see. I keep my cutting and drilling skills to home repairs. Either barrel will be great. I have a lilja will out shoot my skills so far.

Black Magic man B Jury...

And his products are very affordable with the high Usd dollars...

He's can make anything and everything... We use his barrels for F Class shooting...

Deadly accurate fore sure.

If you understand headspace and have bench vice and wrench then you are good to go. Remove ejector, close bolt on go gauge, screw barrel until touching go gauge. Install barrel nut to recommended torque. Remove go gauge. Insert no go gauge. If you cannot close the bolt you are good, if you can close the bolt you have excessive headspace and need to recheck your work.

I have 26 nosler er shaw accuracy barrel on a 116 savage. Consistent shooter. Got a mule deer at 700 yds this year. Sub minute, 3450 with 127 Barnes lrx and retumbo. If you plan to shoot it a lot, go with the 264 WM. The nosler is awesome, but hard on the throat. If you plan to hunt with it and shoot 30-40 rounds a year, no issue. If you intend to shoot 400-500 rounds a year you will need to rebarrel in a couple years or sooner. I got one of their muzzle brakes installed. Not really needed, save your money. The recoil with the accuracy barrel is quite manageable.

I installed a Pac-Nor 6BR barrel in a Savage. Bought the head-space gauges & barrel nut wrench from Brownell's. Really isn't all that difficult if you're reasonably mechanically inclined. For a LR build I'd look at some of the PTG Tool offerings for squaring/truing things up while you've got it apart.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.