Impact velocity

What seems to be the sweet spot for velocity using 195 and 180 bergers when it comes to their best performance on game?
I've observed the 195s kill game from 150y to 1120y and several kills in between as my two hunting mates shoot 28N/195 combo at 3080fps with Retumbo. As long you clean the tips with a wire drill bit they will always expand. However shot placement is important with the 195. Putting it on the shoulder at shorter ranges is a bad idea, they can blow up and get little penetration. Put it on the crease behind the shoulder and you're money. The 180hyb has a slightly heavier jacket and has more controlled expansion. Once again keep the tips open to prevent pencil through impacts. I personal like the performance of the 180 that I have observed vs the 195. Less bloodshot meat damage, less grenade affect if you will. The 195 can be a very violent bullet at high speeds. Bergers will perform well all the way down to 1800fps, they advertise 1500 but I choose a more conservative ceiling.

Thanks for reply. Me and my friends have been shooting 180 vlds and hybrids for multiple years. Prob 30 animals-elk and deer- 200-1000+ yards. All but 1 bang flops. This year 2 of us switched to 195s. Our launch velocities are 250fps slower. Just wondered what peoples experience was with slower impacts at longer distances.

Thanks for reply. Me and my friends have been shooting 180 vlds and hybrids for multiple years. Prob 30 animals-elk and deer- 200-1000+ yards. All but 1 bang flops. This year 2 of us switched to 195s. Our launch velocities are 250fps slower. Just wondered what peoples experience was with slower impacts at longer distances.
Beings the jacket is a shade thinner on 195, and 250fps slower speeds, expansion will likely be similar. I like speed, and a 180hyb will likely have better ballistics out to 1k yards or so before the much slower higher bc 195 surpasses it. So unless you have the horsepower to run a 195 @ or above 3k fps, it'll likely never give you an edge. Just my thoughts on the subject.

I ran the 195's at 3030 fps on four animals this year.

2 big mature bucks at 540 yards - DRT, no exits, bullet fragments in offside hide
1 big mature buck at 30 yards - hunched up, ran maybe 10 steps and piled up. No exit. Shank of bullet in offside hide.
1 raghorn bull elk at 330 yards - tuck one right in the pocket, hunched up and took a few steps. Was still up wobbling 20 seconds later, I sent another one down through the back near the last rib (I was high on a cliff and he was hard quartering away), this one dropped him. No exits.

195's seemed to perform perfect, but I'm going to test out the 180 VLD's at hopefully around 3200-3250 and see how I like them also.

I was quite happy with the 180hybrids performance this year, from 50-590yards, worked very well. Mv of 3050fps
I tested the 197smk, for target shooting there's an advantage, but in terms of ballistics for hunting, it's hard to beat the slippery 7mm 180s extra mv.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.