impact velocity range for Amaxes?

CouchTater

Sorry, I know this is a VFAQ but I couldn't pull up hardly anything using the search engine, or Googling the Interweb, for that matter. I've scoured a couple of other bulletin boards but all I could glean was that Amaxes are sor of NBT-like in terminal performance.

I was goofing around with a ballistics program and have clued in to the value of low drag designs. In comparing different cartridges, I was trying to see what they'd offer in terms of a combination target and long-range deer/antelope load (long range meaning 400 yards more or less).

A .30-06 shooting a 155 grain Amax at a MV of about 2900 fps looks great on paper, but that raises the question of terminal performance. On deer, at the close end what would you folks say the maximum impact velocity should be for a shoulder shot? And on the far end, what should be the minimum impact speed for a lung shot?

I would say that the maximum shoulder shot velocity should be kept to a minimum. The AMAX is a very explosive bullet. I have tested the 178 AMAX and found that it has reliable expansion at 1100 FPS. This is near the transonic zone. I would say that if you can hit your target with the nose first (supersonic velocities or at the transonic wall) that you will see reliable expansion. I wouldnt recomend a shoulder bone impact at any velocity with the 155 AMAX. Stick to the rib cage and you will not see a deer travel very far if any distance at all. Hope that helps some.

A .30-06 shooting a 155 grain Amax at a MV of about 2900 fps looks great on paper, but that raises the question of terminal performance. On deer, at the close end what would you folks say the maximum impact velocity should be for a shoulder shot? And on the far end, what should be the minimum impact speed for a lung shot?

The description above is better in real life than on paper. Expect a BC of around .475+ in the real world. For deer sized critters it is a great load. If you must shoot the shoulder bone, concider the 178 AMAX at 2700-2800 FPS from the 30-06 case. This will perform better at the shorter ranges with a higher impact velocity.

Thanks for the info on the Amax. I'll be shooting deer and hogs next week with the 178 grain out of my 308. I'm planning on heart/lung shots on deer and head shots on pigs. If I have any luck, I'll post my results.

If in doubt

The amax is not a good bullet to hit tougher targets above 2700fps. I prefer 2500fps and down on broadside shots.

If you have concerns, the 165gr SST will give equal accuracy and blow through your intended game. will also do well on shoulders if necessary.

Jerry

the 178's are alittle tougher 3000 fps broad side 30 yds
210 lb. buck pass thru 300 win mag no problem..

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts