Impact of muzzle break (2.2inch) on bullet speed..?

DonBogaerts

good day everyone,

Would a muzzle brake affect the speed of a rifle? Given everything else stays the same. Currently planning a new rifle in 30-06 or 7x64. Same question but regarding moderator... thanks

Add info needed let me know

No.

The only method of reducing recoil that effects velocity is when the Ports are machined directly into the bore of the barrel. This has the effect of shortening the barrels effective length.

With the barrel threaded and not shortened The brake doesn't effect the velocity as long as there is clearance to prevent bullet strike.

If properly installed, the bullet is free of the brake before any reaction of the brake can take place.

J E CUSTOM

No.

The only method of reducing recoil that effects velocity is when the Ports are machined directly into the bore of the barrel. This has the effect of shortening the barrels effective length.

With the barrel threaded and not shortened The brake doesn't effect the velocity as long as there is clearance to prevent bullet strike.

If properly installed, the bullet is free of the brake before any reaction of the brake can take place.

J E CUSTOM

Take this from experience. I had Pro Port do my 300rum barrel on my new Browning in 2001. Not only did it slow it down, it also made it impossible to find a load for that shot less than 2". Rebarreled and a break brought back my speed and accuracy. Now if I only knew twist rate I would be happy. It is a 1/12. 180s is it.

No.

J E CUSTOM
Great thanks, so no real negatives but also no increase in speed due to the extra length?
Take this from experience. I had Pro Port do my 300rum barrel on my new Browning in 2001. Not only did it slow it down, it also made it impossible to find a load for that shot less than 2". Rebarreled and a break brought back my speed and accuracy. Now if I only knew twist rate I would be happy. It is a 1/12. 180s is it.

Thanks for the warning. The 7x64 would shooting 150grain and the 30-06 would be shooting 150 or 165 grain... as they will be pretty long bullets due to them being leadfree i might go for a slightly faster twist but not sure there

Great thanks, so no real negatives but also no increase in speed due to the extra length?

Thanks for the warning. The 7x64 would shooting 150grain and the 30-06 would be shooting 150 or 165 grain... as they will be pretty long bullets due to them being leadfree i might go for a slightly faster twist but not sure there

If you are using lead free before you do anything talk to Steve at Hammer Bullets. I wish I had joined this forum and met him before I made my decisions. (Great Guy)

I
I personally wouldn't be beating myself up over that. Yes, id rather have a 10, but id still be using 190 to 210 gr bullets. I actually prefer the 190s for 30 cal l/r deer hunting. Anyway now you have the needed excuse to build a 338. When you do, use the same formula as you would for choosing an offshore boat.
The bigger the better. lol

Adding a muzzle break without shortening the current barrel will increase velocity slightly, but not much. I see up to a 20 FPS increase when I add a APA micro bastard to my barrels. POI might also shift, but as long as the break is installed correctly the precision shouldn't be affected.

No extra speed because the bullet has left the bore and pressure is no longer driving the bullet. even though the bullet has to pass through the brake, velocity starts dropping because there is no longer the driving force of the gasses.

In our test velocities stayed within the SD range with or without the brake installed.

If there is any increase in velocity it was not delectable or significant
enough to have an effect.

Accuracy improvements however are common because of the reduction in recoil improving the shooters performance. (He/she does not worry about recoil and can concentrate on hold and trigger control) The added weight may change the harmonics but normally for the best.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.