I'm way new at this and Mistakes are not cheap .help

Maina

I'm trying to set up a long range gun for me and my son to hunt with and target shoot also. . I'm learning that this is not a cheap hobby but this is something my son realy wants to do with me and it does sound fun. I have a remington 700 300 ultra mag LR and a scope, sightron SIIISS624X50 MOA .I found a good gunsmith and he will be doing the muzzle break on the gun for me , I will be going with side porting . I'm looking at a range finder now the Leica Rangemaster CRF 1600‑B and the custom turret wrap . I really don't want to start reloading till next year . I would like to run a 200 grain threw this gun . Unless someone on here thinks different. this gun will be shooting mostly white tails and in Maine they can run large. Shots may run 300-800 yards, plinking up to 1000 yards . I'm starting to look at spotting scopes . Just for target shooting . I'm trying to keep things at around $3000 but that may not happen lol. Gun on sale $700.00 scope $820.00 laser range finder $800.00 gun smithing $300.00 spotting scope $400.00 with you guys helping me I really don want to spend the money find out crap bad Choice ! Thank you !

I'm trying to set up a long range gun for me and my son to hunt with and target shoot also. . I'm learning that this is not a cheap hobby but this is something my son realy wants to do with me and it does sound fun. I have a remington 700 300 ultra mag LR and a scope, sightron SIIISS624X50 MOA .I found a good gunsmith and he will be doing the muzzle break on the gun for me , I will be going with side porting . I'm looking at a range finder now the Leica Rangemaster CRF 1600‑B and the custom turret wrap . I really don't want to start reloading till next year . I would like to run a 200 grain threw this gun . Unless someone on here thinks different. this gun will be shooting mostly white tails and in Maine they can run large. Shots may run 300-800 yards, plinking up to 1000 yards . I'm starting to look at spotting scopes . Just for target shooting . I'm trying to keep things at around $3000 but that may not happen lol. Gun on sale $700.00 scope $820.00 laser range finder $800.00 gun smithing $300.00 spotting scope $400.00 with you guys helping me I really don want to spend the money find out crap bad Choice ! Thank you !

I'd probably have the smith bed the rifle while he is at it too. You may get lucky and find some factory ammo your rifle likes but shooting beyond 600 yards you really should start reloading...you can get into reloading Fairly cheaper these days if you looked used. You would need a manual, single stage press, dies for your caliber, brass prep tools, scale, calipers, powder funnel, and hornady ogive tool. I'd suspect you could get all this for 500 or less. Yes you can get pretty crazy in the reloading game but even my earlier loads gave me good results equal to or better than factory and now I never buy factory ammo...unless I find a sale for super cheap ammo then I might buy a few for plinking or breaking a new barrel in.

I would consider upgrading your trigger either with a replacement or having your smith use an available kit to make the stock Rem trigger better. Maybe 1.5 -2 lb. let off. I good trigger makes a world of difference shooting long range. gun)............................................................................................................:)

An easy way to save $100 is to get a demo Leica from Camaraland. That can be found here: Leica - Camera Land NY. If you are patient, you can also find them on ebay or on here for cheaper than that.

I also agree with trigger, bedding, and reloading. You could actually do the trigger and bedding on your own. Might be a fun project for you and your son.

The 300 RUM will get you there without a problem but keep in mind that barrel life is going to be significantly shorter with that cartridge. Not to mention, cost and availability of factory ammo will also play a factor in how expensive/easy it is to go shooting - make reloading a priority and use the money you save for a good barrel & stock.

One other word of advice: don't cheap out on a mounting setup for your scope - I would recommend a 20MOA base (Nightforce, EWG, etc.) and Seekins Precision Rings. Good luck and you're absolutely going to have a blast gun)

Lots of good advice above. If it were me, I would hold off on the $400 for the spotting scope. I have owned several different low-end spotting scopes over the years. Everyone was disappointing in one way or another. Save your dollars until you can buy a good quality scope. Zeiss, Leica & Swarovski will never disappoint. I hear the high end lines for Leupold and Vortex are also decent scopes for the $$. Welcome to a great sport.

i would get a 7mm rem mag or at the most a 300 wm . i would get get a vais break 175$. the heavier bullets are better in the wind ; but even a 150 or 165,( 167, 168) will do fine on deer . kick less. i would start loading soon.

The Vortex Razor HD spotting scopes are really nice.
I had the slightly cheaper Vortex Viper HD side by side with my buddies Razor HD.
The Razor HD is far better IMO.
I have the Zeiss Victory PRF and my buddy has the Leica 1600,
Both are very nice and serve us well.
Don't go cheap on optics.
Your Sightron SIII is a nice scope. good job
Like others have said the 300RUM going to burn out the barrel quickly.
You might be better of selling it and building something cheaper to shoot with a longer barrel life.
Long range shooting takes lots of practice, lots of ammo.
Reload your ammo
Don't forget a Kestrel for wind.

Your 300 RUM is going to eat up a barrel pretty fast, especially if two of you are shooting it and your initial budget to set up is actually only the starting point for a quality long range set up. When I started I was $3000 inside the LR Shooting vortex. I have more money invested in long range shooting today than I have in our car; but don't tell my wife. I'd suggest you consider putting the 300 RUM in the safe for hunting season and find something (e.g. .284) so that you and your son can enjoy shoting together for a longer period of time without having to replace barrels.
On the subject of spotting scopes, it will depend on what you want from it. If you expect to see bullet holes on targets at 1000 yards that aren't shoot'n'see of similar (e.g. painted steel plates) you'll need the Hubble telescope. Take your time in making that selection. Range finders that boast 1000 yard accuracy are typically capable of that if you're ranging a semi truck. If you're ranging a smaller target you'll want a VERY good (translated "expensive") piece of gear.
As you're preparing your budget don't overlook good quality hearing protection for both yourself and your son. That's VERY important and critical when you're shooting with a muzzle brake. You could find that feature alone adding #200 - @300 to your budget.
By the time you purchase twenty boxes (400 rounds) of commercially loaded ammo at $40 - $60 per box for 300 RUM (total of $800 to $1200) you could have paid for your reloading equipment. Lay out a reloading equipment budget estimate and run the numbers.

I hate to pile on with items not mentioned above but of course I will. You will need a ballistics program, a portable ballistics calculator and a chronograph so you know what velocity your ammo is moving.

I suggest iSnipe ($15 from the Apple App store). Run this on an iPhone or iPod. For chrono the Pro Chrony Digital ($120) or CED Millenium ($200). The new Labradar is probably better than those but is north of $500.

Maina

One other thing. The 300 RUM is a great choice. I have one and it is sweet for long range shooting HOWEVER... it will seriously mess up whitetail sized game unless you use the right bullet. For 500 yards and less I suggest a Barnes TTSX or LRX in the 168 to 175 grain area (you want light for caliber bullets with Barnes to keep the velocity and shock value high). Out past 500 yards I'd go with the Berger 210 HVLD (and use those for long range practice since they are cheaper than the Barnes). Since most people that think they are going to hunt "long range" actually shoot their game under 600 yards you will end up using the Barnes most of the time. If you use a softer bullet like an Accubond or Berger at close range you will have less to eat. A friend of mine actually cut a whiletail in half with his RUM shooting factory CoreLokts. He now shoots Barnes.

... For chrono the Pro Chrony Digital ($120) or CED Millenium ($200). The new Labradar is probably better than those but is north of $500.

I disagree. While I find no fault with the LabRadar concept, they're not readily available. Open frame chronographs can be difficult to manage for accurate measurements. I'd recommend Magnetspeed. Been using one for a couple of years and it is the best chrono. I've ever used for consistent accuracy and reliability.

I really appreciate all of your help and opinions thank you! this will save money! I know it's going to cost money ,it is something I really want to do with my son .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.