I'm out of upward adjustment

David Moffitt

Hi.

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a Remington 700 in 300 RUM, Talley 30 mm alloy rings, and the new Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 scope. I just removed my 4-16x44 HS-T (which had no problems, just moving to a different rifle), and while laser bore-sighting, the cross hairs are 3" high over the laser dot at 10 feet, and I am out of adjustment with the top turret. This would equate to an incredibly low hit at 100 yards. The rings are as low as I can get, the 50 mm objective is less than 1/8" above the barrel. What do I do?

Last edited:
Have you actually tried the 100yrd shot? What's the scope height over bore centerline? Sounds like you're right where you should be at 10ft. Hint, lasers don't drop. Bullets do.

First, try actually firing it at 100yrds to see where you're actually at. If necessary, add a 20MOA base or burris signature series zee rings in the appropriate height (also order a variety pack of eccentric inserts). Either will give you back 20MOA. THe Burris rings can get you up to 40moa and as little as 5MOA.

Burris Sig Series Zee rings in 30mm are steel. They come with the ability to use cool polymer inserts that correct for ring alignment and can dial you in 0,5,10,20moa per ring to correct for misalignments.

I'm 1.67" center of scope to bore. I think you are right, I'm over reacting. I pushed the target out to 20 yards and used the laser again, on a known amount of drop for that distance. I have 28 MOA left over, which should get me more than 1000 yards. I will try to shoot sometime this weekend to confirm.

Set a target up at 50yds. Remove the bolt. Put the gun on a rest, bipod, etc... align the target through the bore and adjust scope. Now you can sight at 50 or move to 100. I've done this dozens of times with great success. Actually sighted my Dasher in yesterday in 3 shots. Goodluck

I never use a laser boresighter, they are pretty much a waste of money. As the previous poster said, make sure your gun is unloaded and get the gun solid and find something to point the bore at, it can be anywhere between 100 yards out to as far as you want. I prefer the cross section of a specific telephone pole I can see out the window of my house on a barren hillside a few hundred yards away.

Take the bolt out and ensure unloaded again, and center your target in the bore with your eyes. Then make the crosshairs point at the same thing. Double check a few times. This method has always got me on a 8x11 sheet of paper (usually within 2-3 inches) at 100 yards, takes about 5 minutes, didn't cost me any money, and is accurate.

In rare cases where your not able to see through the bore (10/22, lever guns, etc.) Just set up a target at 25 yards and fire one shot and adjust then your ready to shoot out farther for zeroing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.