Im New

lucky_lefty

I just wanted to say hello. I posted a topic on the gunbroker forums and was advised that I should come here. I am interested in a tactical rifle, no need for a 50 cal, I am interested in the remington 700 in 300WM or 308. Also I am left handed and was advised to get the right handed version of the rifle. My AR is right handed and I can shoot it. Any advise as to what model? I like the VTR with the triangle barrel. I never really owned a rifle but I used to shoot a 30/30 and a 22 when I was younger before I joined the military.

Welcom to the long range hunting site, i think i saw a rem 700 lefty for sell not sure what caliber though . Also someone was selling a sps 308 for $800 on this site .

You may want to check out www.snipersparadise.com. There are some really good guys over there that will answer your questions about tactical rifles as well. Tell'em Tank sent ya. Guys here are very noligeble as well.

Personally I would look at the FP series from Savage. I have a couple Savages and they shoot wonderfully. I can get all kind of good groupings from my rifle. Remy's are okay, but I don't have the money for all the upgrades. The Savage in my mind fits my budget for out of the box accuracy. They offer better than a half a dozen tactical models that will do the trick.

Tank

Hello and welcome. I'm not sold on the whole triangle barrel thing. I just can't imagine that heat wouldn't cause that thing to shift the point of impact.

The 308 is an excellent caliber to learn to shoot long range with. Plenty powerful for moderate ranges and the barrel life is excellent. Lots of factory match grade rounds available. The only thing I don't like about shooting a right handed bolt in a tactical/varmint rifle is the monte carlo stock. Feels a little uncomfortable to this south paw. They also have the emergency blow out hole on the wrong side for us, but I don't really worry about that much.

Remington's QC has not been that good lately from what I hear. They are a little pricey for what you get. Other options will depend on what you intend to spend. One really good thing about the rem is they are a favorite among smiths to work on. lots of aftermarket parts. Quite frankly I'm torn with my decision about which brand I should replace my *** savage 12 lfv with. Thinking of Rem, TIkka, and howa so I'm really considering going w/ a right handed rifle too. I came to the conclusion that with a bench type rifle it is more important to have one that shoots real well than one you can repeat faster.

Good luck, Mark.

Go with the Remington, I have been building guns for many years and the Remington has a lot of great features and the word Rigid comes with it. If they make it for anything you can get it for a 700 Remington.

Wow, I'm in the same boat you are. Left handed, looking to get a 30 cal. I'm also new to the site. Why did people tell you to get a rh gun if you're left handed? I looked at the 308 and some of the .300's. I also looked at the rems. and the savages. the Savage fp's are really nice, and come in LH models. I also looked at the Rem. 700 sps varmint,which comes in Lh. Most of the people I talked to said i should get a 300 win. because I wanted to hunt with it. I'm still not 100% sure. I also read some negative things about the triangle barrel from Rem. This would be alot easier if i was right handed, just goto the gun shop and pick one out. that would be nice.

I am a south paw through and through and I know your pain. Get used to paying extra for what you need.

Finding a Rem M700 LH long action is pretty easy. I myself avoid the newer versions and seek out the older ones. One key "tell" that you are looking at an older M700 is that the bolt will not open when the safety is engaged.

I just dropped off one those older actions at Benchmark Barrels, Arlington WA for a barrel job. They are going to put a 30" 3 grove bbl on it chambered in 300 RUM. The price was pretty reasonable and it was local to me (plus I did not have to deal with interstate shipping).

If you are looking for an over the counter rifle, the guys at Sportsman Warehouse were telling me the other month that the Tikka T3 Varmint's show that they can be special ordered in left hand models chambered in 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, & 300 WSM. That would be pretty cool if it holds true.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.