I'm NEVER cleaning my 300 WM again!!

BergerBoy

I'm NOT a patriot... I am a U.S. Constitutionalist
Well, Not literally but.... Let me explain.
I have about 700 rounds through a custom with a Bartlien M24 contour 1-9 twist 5R. When I clean it I struggle to shoot under MOA at 100 yds. After I shoot 20-30 rounds through it it will shoot well under half inch and in some cases I have shot just over .25 inch groups at 100 yds
I use Bore Tech carbon remover so I can leave some copper in the barrel but no matter how little I clean or what I use my groups get huge after that. So until it starts puking copper to the end of my barrel or my groups open up again I am not going to clean it.
I knew a guy that said he would not clean his guns (barrels) until his groups started to opened up again bc we are the one that do over 90% of the damage to our barrels from accidents while cleaning and improper cleaning..... He is one of the best shooters I know/seen.
Does anyone have an explanation on why this is? I have seen it in rifles with several thousands rounds through them but nothing under a 1k.
Thanks

Yea, my fclass 284 is the same way. I realized this when shooting mid range and saw better scores at 600 than at 300, which 300yd is the 1st relay and 600yd is the 3rd relay. Now if I do clean in between matches I will only take out the carbon with K1 carbon cleaner, and leave the copper alone.

Its a bartlein w/ about 5-600rnd count.

Not me, I work my gun til it stops coppering (sometimes that takes a couple hundred rounds and countless cleanings)

after that I clean after gun has more than 20 rounds on it. I have no problem shooting 70-80 rounds during a match without cleaning it this way and it only ever takes 2 or 3 shots for it to settle right in for POI and velocity.

Dragman... that 284 is yours! Lawton action.

My last shoot I had a 15rnd 600yd relay where I shot a 150 w/ 10x's. Without a doubt my best relay to date. That was the best relay score of the day and to add to my gloating on the same relay was a guy who has shot 2nd in nationals.

Dragman... that 284 is yours! Lawton action.

My last shoot I had a 15rnd 600yd relay where I shot a 150 w/ 10x's. Without a doubt my best relay to date. That was the best relay score of the day and to add to my gloating on the same relay was a guy who has shot 2nd in nationals.

which one? I have had 5 or 6 starting to forget and get hazy. what load are you running.

which one? I have had 5 or 6 starting to forget and get hazy. what load are you running.

53gr h4831sc... you said they were about 2855fps. Lawton action, bartlein barrel, on an orangish laminate stock.

I was actually thinking about giving the stock forearm a lower profile to reduce torque off my rest. DO you know anyone or if it can be done? Basically mill off about 1/2" or so where my rest rides.

53gr h4831sc... you said they were about 2855fps. Lawton action, bartlein barrel, on an orangish laminate stock.

I was actually thinking about giving the stock forearm a lower profile to reduce torque off my rest. DO you know anyone or if it can be done? Basically mill off about 1/2" or so where my rest rides.

OK I remember now.
PM inbound on stock

I am fortunate to live 10 miles away from Bartlien barrels and am able to stop in and talk to the guys there. They are great! More than willing to help with any of the many questions I have.[They are building my first custom rifle] So if I were you I would give them a call.I am sure they will be a help.

I don't clean unless it starts having problems. May go as much as 400-600 rounds between. I used to clean like crazy. Now I shoot more and better and clean less. Win win. I think so

Hard not to break old habits and clean after every shooting session. The builder of my customs says the same, which is not to clean unless accuracy diminishes.

Going to start following his advice as well as the other experienced shooters and only wipe the exterior down when shooting is complete.

What do you mean I don't have to change my oil until every 6,000 miles now?

Sometimes these old dogmas are so ingrained in us it's almost gut wrenching to change...

I shot some last week and this is the first time I haven't cleaned my rifles. I've had a mini panic attack at least once a day and almost go clean them. I just remind myself they haven't produced corrosive powder or primers in decades and the rifles are completely safe and fine. (Just don't tell my dad I haven't cleaned them). :)

I've been doing this on and off but am still unsure if leaving powder fouling in the barrel will cause corrosion? Can anybody confirm if it does. Thanls

Depends on how long you go between firings. I agree with the Hodnett videos but he shoots a few times a week I would imagine, but he uses a very mild carbon cleaner also. Leave the copper kill the carbon. I think it depends on where you live too. In Ca I am afraid not to clean at least carbon as I have seen the results of the humidity first hand. After coming in from the field we used to clean our weapons for three days. Thats a lot of overkill but a hard habit to break.

If you are going to store it better to put it up wet.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.