I'm Done With Remington

Jink-), when you say it shouts well beyond 0.5" at 100 yards, are you saying the groups are much bigger than 1/2 inch or smaller.
SUB 1/2 inch, beyond is like past 1/2" mark, some groups more like 0.3 with occasional flier , but I haven't made final load for it or bullet, so far I played with SMK and Nosler Ballistic Tip, I noticed that 1st cold shot is always off... maybe I should shoot cold shot before shooting a group. The flier usually 1/2" away from the group. from 10 shots I usually get 1 flier the rest will stay in 1/2" zone.

I'd say you got a shooter, except for the occasional flier. Have you checked to make sure the action screws, base, rings are all tight and if the bolt handle is really really close to the stock? I'm thinking possibly the bolt handle amy be touching the stock when you get a flier. next time it happens note if it's touching. Hopefully others with more knowledge than me on causes will weigh in here.

I think its the original synthetic stock, even when I glass bedded the action and small portion of the barrel before the action and made it free float the barrel, before bedding it it was shooting 3/4" but it was stringing in vertical direction, most of the fliers I get now are 3 o'clock, it could be me, last time I was shooting it in the rain not from very stable bench, very shaky which I setup under the patio the water was dripping down. I think this condition effected my shooting specially when huge rain drops hit my nose or face or the eye piece of the scope :cool: plus fingers got wet and I just adjusted the trigger to its lowest setting, whatever it is, the original probably was like 5 - 6 lbs, I feel more comfortable shooting with light trigger pull, trigger itself when its wet is very slippery. Thinking to replace trigger assembly on it as well probably with Jewell or Shilen, but I haven't decide on it yet. Personally I had few misfortunes with Remington 870 and 597, in 870 ejector rail broke off after first shot, got it replaced no complaints now, the 597 I just can't make decent group from it at 50 yards and I tried all sorts of ammo, I gave up on haven't touched it in years. When I was buying 700 model I was mostly considering 700 action, I'm still planning to re-barrel it for faster twist, 1:12 is just not good enough for long ranges, I'm thinking about 1:7 or 1:8, but since the barrel seems to perform well I will keep it until it expires on its 6 - 7 K shot, I only got 200 so far, so its way to go.

As far as fliers it could be related on the bullet path as well, since I shoot through trees I have target setup in the wooded area, but I think by now I shot them all off :-D I did noticed that when flier occur there were also twigs foaling at least I thought I did, can't wait till the range will reopen in April, then I can do some better testing

Last edited:
Didn't know you were shooting in the rain and such. I'd be interested in how it shoots with good handloaded ammo and under decent conditions and your confident it isn't you. 5-6 pounds trigger pull isn't fun either, good that you lessoned it. I prefer no more than 1.5 pounds.

Thats like showin up at the track with out breakin in your motor.Send me your wayward,your lost,your tired,unwanted Remingtons,I have a warm closet where they can visit with many others of their kind.I have owne dam near 100 Rems and the only one that ever had issues was their *** 22lr 510,all of them were shite.

+1
I have tryed them all. And all I owen is remington 700's

I heard their chambering will take seconds(high pressure high speed). Doesn't matter which factory rifle you pick they are all mass produced. That is how they keep costs low enough for most people to buy them. Not everybody is addicted like us:D.

I had Howa ***, never again... I know many people have very good luck with them, and I will not start this discussion on how good they are, the one I got had messt-up riffling or no rifling, for that I can use riffled shotgun with iron sights which got better precision.

I had Howa ***, never again... I know many people have very good luck with them, and I will not start this discussion on how good they are, the one I got had messt-up riffling or no rifling, for that I can use riffled shotgun with iron sights which got better precision.

When I said a Howa is better than a Rem, I was talking about the action. Any major factory rifle maker is going to make a barrel as cheap as they can. On average, I doubt you will find any real difference in barrel quality between Howa and Rem and when I get a Vanguard (not even sure if a Vanguard has a Howa barrel?) the barrel will be replaced with a custom and the action blueprinted.

When you look at the Howa receiver, trigger and bolt next to the Rem, IMO, there is not one thing better about the Rem... not one. Howa has it beat in every category... from my novice perspective.

And... if you take a sample of Rem SPS's off the rack and shoot them against the Howa's, my $$$ is on the Howa's.

not on the one I got specially ordered for me :D, it averaged 5" - 7" at 100 yards, but I did like the action on it, I bought sps only for one reason, its to build on top of it using rem 700 action, right now I'm just having some trigger time, short distances 100 - 150 yds, its holding up pretty good, I'm surprised myself, I had couple of savages which shot worse.

something happen today, I think I got it jinxed, proven loads start to open up to the right, I think its time to anneal my brass some of them been cycled 5 times already could be the weather in 40 degrees fingers start to fill numb :cool:

5"-7" groups is average for the remingtons I've tried with premium factory ammo.

Premium factory ammo ??? sounds like you need spend some money on reloading. you cant judge a rifle with factory ammo, its all junk and there is no way i would go to the field with it.

just my 2 cents

Premium factory ammo ??? sounds like you need spend some money on reloading. you cant judge a rifle with factory ammo, its all junk and there is no way i would go to the field with it.

I spent all of my money on my "fancy" remington rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts