I'm Done With Remington

mdrewel

After looking long and hard at several rifles I bought A Rem 700 "BuckMasters". Cleaned the barrel and went to shoot it Sunday. Fired the first shot out of it and the shell wouldn't extract. Had the cleaning rod with me so I pushed it out. Looked at it and seen some scratch marks on the brass right before the belt. Took the bolt out of it and looked in the chamber but couldn't see anything.

Took it back home and cleaned it and looked in the chamber with a light and still didn't see anything. Went out side and fired one in the ground, same thing wouldn't come out. Had another gun here the same caliber so I fired it in the ground thinking it might be the shells they extracted just fine.

Called Remington and told them the problem and they said sounded like I had a burr in the chamber. I asked them if they shoot the guns before they leave the factory and he wouldn't answer that one.So I asked if I could get a new gun since deer season opens In a week he said they couldn't do that but they would reimburse the shipping and buy me another box of shells.

Called the Remington repair center where I sent the gun and asked him if they shoot the guns before leaving the factory and he said they didn't or you would never here the storys like mine.

I could of bought a Weatherby and had enough money left over to buy a decent scope.

My next gun I'm going to consider is going to have a 3 shot group in the box.

I have had excessive headspace, chamber issues in the past as well. If you bought from a gun shop maybe the owner can send it back to his distributor and trade out for another. did that with 5r mil spec .308 that had chamfered bolt face.

I've had disappointments with Remington's failure to stand behind their guns also. My issue was with a Remington 870 Wingmaster shotgun, not a rifle. Don't think I'll ever buy another Remington firearm and solely due to my experience with the Remington representatives. I might consider a used Remington, but I'll say I haven't purchased one in the past 5 years since my merry-go-round with their factory reps.

Fool me once - shame on you. Fool me twice - shame on me.

Last edited:
I could of bought a Weatherby and had enough money left over to buy a decent scope.

My next gun I'm going to consider is going to have a 3 shot group in the box.

You'll get no argument from me. My 7mmRM Syn. Vanguard is amazing! Cloverleaf 5 shot groups at 100yds. SubMOA 4 shot at 200yds.
Right out of the box. No trigger work, no bedding, and no floating.

Sorry to hear your bad luck on the chamber. I just picked up a new VTR in 308 last week. I broke it in and then stuck a stiff charge of 748 under a 130 TSX . Ran it through the chrony at 3145 avg. with the 5 shot group going .346 in. Just wish they would bring this rifle out in a 7-08 also.

All remington products are not all bad. I just bought a brand new BDL 700 LeftHand 7mm UltaMag a month ago and the first time shooting the rifle got a 3 shot group 3/8". I use remington's Swift Scirrocco 150g load and am very happy with it.

I've got several Remingtons. I've been fortunate to not have a single problem, from when I shot them factory, or after I had them customized.

Good luck in the future with your next purchase.

In 25 years and a few dozen Remingtons I have only had 1 that had a problem.

As is happens it was my latest buy (SPS Tactical), it had a sharp edge around the ejector hole in the bolt face, which was causing what looked like ejector marks...sticky bolt and all.

Remington first had me send it to Paducah Shooters Supply (a Remington Repair Center) in Paducah, KY...Paduch Shooters Supply did not fix it.

When I got it back I called Remington back and told them it was not fixed, they said "we're sorry about that, send it to our factory in Ilion, NY and we will fix it"... I said OK and they sent me a prepaid and insured shipping label...I sent it off...3 weeks later I got it back...fixed and shooting great.

They did test fire it because they sent me the brass back with the rifle.

They paid for all of it...shipping, repairs, ammo...everything.

It was aggravating...but they fixed it, I'm happy.

I think everyone makes a mistake not and then. Its how they fix that mistake that is important. Sad to hear that you have had trouble. I have many factory remingtons and several custom shop remingtons. I have had no problems at all. I have been very happy and continue to buy them over and over.

I have owned Remmys, and loaded for many more, and have had only 1 with a problem......and got ZERO help from Remington

7mmSTW Stainless/fluted/synthetic. I took it on trade as partial payment for a tranny job. I started to do the load development. I neck size only, and when I got back to the range the shells would only fit in the gun at random. First it would not fit, I would clear the gun and try the same round again and it would fit. I then put a mark an the case head at 12 0'clock on one that fit and started to index the mark clockwise. It would fit at 12 and 6, but not at 3 and 9 o'clock......simple.....chamber out of round, or egg shaped, or whatever you want to call it. I confermed this with a micrometer. I tried to FL size the brass and had the same result. I am guessing that either my FL die didn't get close enough to the belt, the actual belt was also messed up, or both. I talked to a Rem rep and he had me send the gun back. It came back about 6 weeks later with 3 fired brass and a note that said "no problem found":mad: I called them back and they dug up the paperwork. I TRIED to explain the problem. They said the gun fires fine....When asked if he understood the problem, and he said AGAIN....gun functioned properly....no problem found!!!!:mad::mad: He said if reloads won't work in the the gun, it was MY problem....not thiers...factory shells fire fine.

This is the VERY short and condenced version.....We went around and around.....

That was the end of it for me......I sold the gun to a guy who will NEVER reload. He likes his shiny new factory shells.

How N L a profesional at remmington could handle a problem that way is beond me.

Last edited:
I just bought a Remington VTR 308 about a month ago . It shoots very well and it is my new whitetail rifle. I think Remington makes a fine rifle and would buy another. I want a Rem 40-X in 308.

I have sent 4 of my last 6 Remington 700's back. 3 of them were completely replaced. I had a Sendero 300RUM that shot a 4.5" pattern. I sent it back and received a new one that shot a 3.5" group. Sent that back and got one that shot a 3" group. Sent that one to Kirby for a Lilja overhaul. I had an XCR tactical 308 that looked like someone drove a piece of rebar down the barrel. That one was replaced, but I havent shot it yet. I have a Sendero II 264 that I sent back because the inside of the action was all galled up. That one was buffed inside and out. They spent way more time on the outside of the gun instead of the inside. It looks better than it did, but to me its not acceptable. But if they arent going to do it right, what can you do?

I have owned Remmys, and loaded for many more, and have had only 1 with a problem......and got ZERO help from Remington

7mmSTW Stainless/fluted/synthetic. I took it on trade as partial payment for a tranny job. I started to do the load development. I neck size only, and when I got back to the range the shells would only fit in the gun at random. First it would not fit, I would clear the gun and try the same round again and it would fit. I then put a mark an the case head at 12 0'clock on one that fit and started to index the mark clockwise. It would fit at 12 and 6, but not at 3 and 9 o'clock......simple.....chamber out of round, or egg shaped, or whatever you want to call it. I confermed this with a micrometer. I tried to FL size the brass and had the same result. I am guessing that either my FL die didn't get close enough to the belt, the actual belt was also messed up, or both. I talked to a Rem rep and he had me send the gun back. It came back about 6 weeks later with 3 fired brass and a note that said "no problem found":mad: I called them back and they dug up the paperwork. I TRIED to explain the problem. They said the gun fires fine....When asked if he understood the problem, and he said AGAIN....gun functioned properly....no problem found!!!!:mad::mad: He said if reloads won't work in the the gun, it was MY problem....not thiers...factory shells fire fine.

My problem with Remington's factory service was similar to this, except my pump action 870 shotgun wouldn't eject Remington Peters shotgun shells because the ejector pin wasn't mounted back far enough for the opened shell to clear the receiver port. Remington charged me fees to inspect and ship my shotgun and never did fix the problem. That was enough of Remington's customer relations services for me.

I've owned a bunch of Remington's. While I've never had a problem with any of their shotguns, I've had trouble with nearly every model 700 that I've hung onto for longer than 3 years. I've had problems with everything from feeding, ejection, jamming, stove piping, frozen safeties, to one real major PITA rifle that would go off when you released the safety. I know lot's of guys swear on a stack of bibles that Remington's are nothing short of divine, but it sure hasn't been my personal experience. While most of them have been accurate, they sure haven't been reliable. I bought my last one a few years ago and have no plans to buy another, too many other "better" options these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts