I'm Done With Remington

Ditto on that one!

I've had my fair-share of Remingtons & the ONLY one I've had ANY issues with was the Model 522 Viper (semi-auto 22 LR). Talk about an in-accurate ***! You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn!

It was the biggest *** Remington EVER produced!!!

I ALSO will accept your wayward, lost, tired, and/or unwanted Remingtons...

I can always buy another gun safe to store them in. LOL
i to have a *** 522 in my gun safe jams after every shot problem is when me and my freind where kids we put about a millon to rounds through!
ill take any remington handouts to!:)

I bought a sps varmint in 17 fireball with new x-mark trigger(fully adjustable by gunsmith).

I had problems getting it to shoot so I sent it back to Remington. A couple of
weeks later they called and told me that it had excessive head space, and would replace the barrel and the action but since the trigger was adjusted below
3 1/2lbs I have to buy a new trigger.

I went around and around about the trigger and what good was it to have a
adjustable trigger if you couldn't adjust it to what you wanted.

Before the next guy wants to take my junk Remington off my hands I paid $560 for it, and ill be glad to send it to you for reimbursement of the purchase
price. Remember it has a new barrel, action and trigger.

Funny you should mention triggers...my SPS Tactical had to go back to the Ilion, NY factory for a new barrel too. I had already adjusted the Xmark trigger to a crisp clean 28 oz., so I removed the trigger and the stock. I only sent them the barreled action...a couple of weeks later when I got the barreled action back (fixed and shooting GREAT btw), it had an Xmark trigger in it that was factory adjusted to 2.25 lbs. and sweet as can be.

They did not charge me anything for the trigger...matter of fact, they didn't charge me anything at all...they paid the shipping both ways.

And I have a spare trigger...

Hello, I had my heart set on a Tikka T3 Lite SS in 300 WSM. Unfortunately Bass Pro ran out of these rifles during Christmas and they did not have a clue when they will receive new stock. I checked all the local shops and nothing. So, my next choice was the Remington 700 XCR in 300 WSM. I purchased one from Turners. Next i purchased a Leupold VXII 3-9 x 40 for it and a short action single piece mount. My first problem with the rifle was when i could not start the third screw for the mount. I checked the hole centers from the second and third holes and I came up with 3.628" on the rifle and 3.646" on the Leupold scope. I checked a few more mounts in the store and came up with the same measurement. This difference is enough to keep the screw from starting. So I abandoned the one piece mount Idea and purchased a two piece mount. I took it out to the range and the best group that I got was 3.5" from the bench at 100 yards with 180 gr Federal factory ammo. What i noticed at first that there was a lot of carbon on half of the cartridge neck after the cartridge was ejected. I know this is not good, but anyone can tell me what would be a reasonable factory MOA for a hunting rifle. I'm just a little disappointed with the performance of this rifle. I have a 1.25 MOA out of my century old 1917 W. Enfield.

I don't think there's any standard answer for your question. But I feel pretty comfortable saying that the average factory rifle will shoot a lot better than 3.5 moa. They used to do better than that in the late sixties and early 70s, and the quality of the barrels has only improved since that time. It's not uncommon for factory rifles to shoot better than 1 moa in this day and age. A few may even shoot better than 1/2 moa with some careful handload development. To bad you couldn't find the Tikka T3. I've never heard of one of those that didn't shoot respectably well.

I'd make sure there's no loose screws holding the action to the stock and the scope to the receiver. I'd do that after I took the barreled action out of the stock to see if there was anything obviously wrong with the bedding of the action to the stock. Then I'd try it again, and with at least one more bullet weight in a different factory round, if you're using factory ammo. I might even try a different scope if I wasn't sure the scope was good. If I still had 3.5 moa I'd probably end the misery and go ahead and sell it.

Here's a link to a recent thread and with at least one full-time gunsmith's (Fiftydriver) opinion on the matter.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/new-rifle-what-do-you-think-about-41342/

Some factory rifles are gems, others will be lemons. The quality control on production line rifles will result in some poor shooters.

Some other gunsmiths may sound in also. You might take it into a knowledgable gunsmith for an inspection if you don't know your way around bolt action rifles. They can inspect it and may be able to see something obviously out-of-whack.

I've only encountered one rifle that shot this poorly (3.5 moa), and I didn't own it for very long.

Last edited:
phorwath thanks for your reply. I know the group size is to big but I was going to call remington and i wanted to know where I'm standing. I read on other threads and sites that the Remington Customer Service is not the best and they gave a lot of people the runaround.

I got hold of Remington today, and started telling the Customer Service guy about my problems with this rifle, starting with the scope mount holes. I told him that i checked at least 4 or 5 Leupold mount at the store and they all were the same measurements as the on i had at home. I told him that i need the measurement that Remington uses and the tech told me straight out that probably the holes are drilled wrong. He told me that he will send me a shipping label and send the rifle back to the factory. He also told me that they have to replace the receiver and because of the receiver they have to replace the barrel too. Then i told him that my second problem is the carbon buildup at the neck of the cartridge which he told me that a lot of shooting will have to be done to get that leak. I only shot 20 rounds thru this rifle.

So hopefully they fix this problem. I will keep you posted with how Remington Customer Service will work with me. So far so good.

My son is a cop and I will let him take the rifle out and test it with a different brand and weight ammo just to see if I'm did something wrong. I will try some 150 or 165 grain Remington ammo.

I will upload full size pictures of the cartridge to my website. www.gottrikes.com/XCR300WSM.htm

Your top pic is out of focus but the brass looks way bad to me,not sure what the cause ie but Ive never seen fouling like that on brass out of any of my Rems,saw a hint of it on some compressed rounds with some super slow burning powder once.

NONYA Thanks for checking the pictures out. Top picture is of the chamber. I could not focus in with my small pocket camera. I know now that i have some legs to stand on when it comes to Remington Customer Service. Hopefully they will take care of this problem when they receive my rifle.

I don't know about anybody else, but I see that that carbon staining on every rifle cartridge I've ever fired, including my tight necked 270-300RUM. Now it is to verying degrees. Anealed cases show the least amount of staining.

I believe that it has to do with the fact that the brass doesn't seal off the chamber at the mouth of the case, but rather along the neck.

The only problem i've ever had with my remington is once I start shooting it I don't want to stop:):):)

Sorry for the late update. I sent the rifle back to Remington last and they told me that nothing is wrong with the rifle. Even the holes are fine. They installed a one piece Leupold mount on it and were able to get 1.5" groups with my rifle. They told me that the carbon on the neck of the shell is fine. A customer service guy called me and told me that they polished the chamber and test fired it numerous times with out any problems. I also found some metal particles in the chamber where the barrel is treaded into the receiver up on receiving my rifle. I can not tell if they re-chambered my rifle or not but they did stamped a WD on the barrel. A few days later the warranty supervisor told me that nothing had to be done to my rifle and my rifle was in specs. So the rifle was sent back to me.
What ever!!!
I got the rifle back and found the hole that was not aligning up originally, all loose. It looked like some used an auger to enlarge the hole. Actually the material around the screw holes was raised. The screw is very loose in the whole. I was afraid to torque it to specs so i do not strip it out. I used a lot of loctite to secure the loose screw. Not a quality work from the Remington Warranty Department just to put in my two cents. I bought some Barnes TSX bullet federal ammo and took it out for test shooting. The best group i got with 1.75" actually a 3.5" at 200 yard. I will get an after market trigger someday, because the trigger is to hard and it is not adjustable. I will not consider this rifle to be my favorite long distance rifle. As for a 250 yard rifle I say it will do the job fine. I was able to take a Whitetail in November at 75 yard or so. But I could have shot the deer at that distance with the $50 iron sight Mosin Nagant with no problem. As far as the XCR goes I hope it will grow on me and learn to like this rifle for what it is for the future.

Last edited:
I could not add pictures to the first reply so here are some pictures.

IMG_0646-3.JPG

IMG_0660-2.JPG

IMG_0650-2.JPG

IMG_1017-2.JPG

IMG_1179-2.JPG

IMG_1180-2.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.