I'm Done with a Bipod on My Hunting Gun

My 12 y/o grandson, just Blasted, an 11" dia. Steel Plate, 3 Times, in a row, at over,
200 Yards using, a stuffed pack with, a small Toe rest, Prone. He shot the Plate, 3 out of 4 Times at, 157 yards, using Sticks with, a pack for, support.
He got, "Weatherby Eyed" with, my .243 Win ( eyebrow skin, not broken, thankfully ). Looks to be, "shaking it, off", ok !
He has, 2 Mule Deer Tags, one Antelope Tag and a Proud Dad and grandpa ! looks like, we are gonna Eat some Meat, this Winter !

My 12 y/o grandson, just Blasted, an 11" dia. Steel Plate, 3 Times, in a row, at over,
200 Yards using, a stuffed pack with, a small Toe rest, Prone. He shot the Plate, 3 out of 4 Times at, 157 yards, using Sticks with, a pack for, support.
He got, "Weatherby Eyed" with, my .243 Win ( eyebrow skin, not broken, thankfully ). Looks to be, "shaking it, off", ok !
He has, 2 Mule Deer Tags, one Antelope Tag and a Proud Dad and grandpa ! looks like, we are gonna Eat some Meat, this Winter !
Good luck! Shoot straight and maybe a muzzle break for him may be a good idea, haha

Today. 565yds off a bipod.

gYuQladh.jpg

Last edited:
Haha I've started using both where possible. Like everyone, I'm way more stable prone but what's swaying me to sticks or tripods is laying down prone for 30 min sit in -20 before wind chill with 8" of snow for coyotes. It's miserable!

That said last year out with my sticks, I had a healthy doe pop out the first night at 525 and second at 550 and a yote earlier in the season at 490ish. The bipod helped bag all of them, wasn't steady enough on the tripod

I love my bipods but they don't offer anything but extra weight in the woods where I hunt. I normally just find a sturdy stick if I am going to sit under a tree and use that to help support the rifle. Sometimes I get lucky and find a stick with a V in it. I tried using my Atlas Cal with wooden dowel extensions recently but it was just a liability. Couldn't move the rifle as quietly due to the leaves rustling, a free stick was much better.

I use that Primos Adjustable Trigger stick with the rubber V on top. I hunt my way to my blind with the rifle resting on the stick. I adjust the stick up or down as I walk very slowly and the ground changes. It helpful for an old man like me. If I were going to lay prone to shoot then I guess I would put a Bi Pod on the rifle, or use my back pack.

I agree it's rare that you can use a bipod. I still carry one as the magpul I've started using is relatively light. As said above it's great for not laying your rifle down and gets occasional use in the field. Most of my hunting is from a stand and with the legs stowed they form a flat surface to stabilize the front of the rifle out the window.

I always considered my max range sitting in the field with sticks to be about 300ish yards. I recently saw a post here of a guy using sticks and his rigid frame backpack for rear stability. Worked like a champ for me to 550 yards on a bull elk last month.

There was no prone opportunity or way to get closer without being on top of him. I was hesitant to take the shot but the bull was feeding with his rear to me for several minutes allowing me to completely assess the situation and get rock solid comfortable. I even took a dry fire shot on a rock which was another confidence booster.

20211030_180325.jpg