I'm Done with a Bipod on My Hunting Gun

Prepping for the bipod shot! 😂 memtb

8dV3q5el.jpg

Joe Frazell, you may want to learn how to bone out an animal in the field. You can pack as much or as little as you want at a time. You should have seen me with my first bull elk down 3 miles into the wilderness. I had no idea what to do. I had to cut him in half just to drag him to the shade. I got lucky that time, and a horseman helped me out. I've packed them out myself many times since then without issue, and I'm older than you. I can field butcher an elk in about 3 hours by myself. I don't gut them any more. Messy.

I used bipods for years, and liked them. I found they didn't work very well for steep up and down shots. Once I had to rest the legs on my boots to get them high enough. I'm not a long range shooter, but with lightweight shooting sticks, and a scrunched up position, I can put my leg perpendicular to the rifle and rest the butt on my knee. With practice, I can shoot as well off of that setup as off of a sandbag on the bench.

I can put my left foot on one leg of the stick to hold in place and it has a ball head on the bottom that allows me to wrench it around all directions. My right elbow rests on my right knee. Both fit nicely into my Eberlestock F1 mainframe with water proof bag. Fit between the bag and frame.

Attachments

• F851865D-04A6-4B49-8C5F-60295ACD86AE.jpeg
    F851865D-04A6-4B49-8C5F-60295ACD86AE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
View attachment 299359I'm always about "better to have and not need, than to need and not have", but I found a bipod on my hunting rig is useless FOR ME. Laying prone in the field is about like kissing your cousin. Yeah, the idea might might be tempting, but it still ain't right. 😄 I'll leave prone to the range/target shooting.

So, the shooting stick and field chair is where its at. Gonna start training for this style, along with standing shots, and reconfirm zeros.
I like the idea of the field chair too! Tripod and a lazy boy recliner might just work at my age...electric coffee pot and hot tub would be just for bonus points.

I'm sure these are not as sturdy as what you have but the Jim Shockey edition Primos trigger sticks will go that low and then of course are plenty tall enough for a 6 foot man to use standing up.View attachment 299675
I hunt out of a ground blind most of the time. I have been using the bog pod for a number of years now and love it. The one thing you need to do is get it set up as soon as you get in the blind.
My rifle was sighted in for 350yds (257 Weatherby ) I was thinking I'm gonna make a long range shot and have a story to tell. This guy was laying down but propped up looking at me,rack was way above the ears. Ranged him at 117 yds,aimed at the bottom of his neck and whop,bullet made same sound of praire dogs impact. But key of my story is this dude feed on alfalfa . I grabbed a horn to pull him to my truck ( I was alone ) I couldn't pull that dude 20 feet with out huffing and puffing ( I'm 64) so I was able to drive my truck right up to him.( If I shot him at 300+ yards and couldn't get my truck to him,I'd of been in a world of hurt) Next lifting him up onto my tail gate . HOLY sh--- I thought antelope were the size of big dogs,I had to bear hug him twice just to get him up. Then field dressing him ( My first big game animal that I did) I was reading and watching you tube videos all that week. Dang two hours of hard ,but wholesome good work. Well that's my story.
Next time that happens to you take a short peice of rope and tie the animals head to the corner of the bed of the truck. It will make it easier to get the hind quarters in the truck. It's still work! This way you are not lifting the whole animal at once.

Joe Frazell, you may want to learn how to bone out an animal in the field. You can pack as much or as little as you want at a time. You should have seen me with my first bull elk down 3 miles into the wilderness. I had no idea what to do. I had to cut him in half just to drag him to the shade. I got lucky that time, and a horseman helped me out. I've packed them out myself many times since then without issue, and I'm older than you. I can field butcher an elk in about 3 hours by myself. I don't gut them any more. Messy.

I used bipods for years, and liked them. I found they didn't work very well for steep up and down shots. Once I had to rest the legs on my boots to get them high enough. I'm not a long range shooter, but with lightweight shooting sticks, and a scrunched up position, I can put my leg perpendicular to the rifle and rest the butt on my knee. With practice, I can shoot as well off of that setup as off of a sandbag on the bench.
Been deboning for several years now. No other way when shooting them deep.

I tried a bipod when I moved up to a 700LR in 30-06. It added enough weight to be a big negative and was about as useful as spit in the GA hills where I hunt. I moved to a Sling assist with a M1907 and then to a Ching Sling. I can shoot iron prone at 500yds with this setup. It is always there and always ready. It also works well with supported shots against trees, logs, brush, and, for me, offhand. The sling pulls the rifle back into the same locked cheek weld every time. I'm still looking for that deer at 500yds though.

As a commercial shooter we never use a Bipod however I was on a holiday come camping trip with some mates out in the Simpson Desert and I fitted a Bipod on one of my favourite rifles for a trial and had an opertunity to try to nock down a Camel at about 700 metres so I lay down on to of a sand hill with the Bipod extended thinking this will be a record shot and just about when I was to fire I felt something going across my right leg so I froze and not taking the shot was all I could do - Yes a brown snake and it slithered off fortunatly so from now on no more lying down in the scrubb for me its too f--k--g dangerous for me

I did the same a while back. Too much added weight and bulk. I did get a rest that I can attach to a pack with MOLLE. I put it on when I'm in country that might allow for prone shooting. It's also great for range days.

Recent Posts