I'm Done with a Bipod on My Hunting Gun

Worked okay for me

Attachments

• IMG_1985.jpg
    IMG_1985.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 103
I agree, I didn't see that we were talking about 400 yard shooting, my mistake
I always get confused, as well. Much of the content on long range hunting.com is not about long range hunting. You have to read between the lines...

Personally, I've ruled out shooting from a backpack for long range shots. My testing showed potential for flyers.

I think there's a lot of potential for tripods with proper technique. We do ARCA mounts on most of our rifles, and we sell a nice sized tripod with ARCA ball head.

I'll still hike 100 yards to find a spot to shoot prone off a bipod, if the shot is far...

I agree, I didn't see that we were talking about 400 yard shooting, my mistake
SEE Posts, # 4 and # 7 for, MY reasons WHY I use, Stix to 400 Yards and a Pack for further Ranges !
WHEN, Elk Herds, come back to, the OPEN, Rolling Plains country, WITH, the Antelope, I'll put my BiPod, back on !
Would love to see someone set up, a Tripod on, an Elk "slope", in the Sawtooth Mtns of,.. Idaho,.. LOL !
Doesn't look like, Cassandra's, Elk Hunting "area",... for, sure !

Last edited:
I always get confused, as well. Much of the content on long range hunting.com is not about long range hunting. You have to read between the lines...
Agree
I think there's a lot of potential for tripods with proper technique. We do ARCA mounts on most of our rifles, and we sell a nice sized tripod with ARCA ball head.
Agree
I'll still hike 100 yards to find a spot to shoot prone off a bipod, if the shot is far...
Agree

Everybody HAS, their OWN "Method" of, Hunting and shooting and IF, it "works" for You,.. GREAT !
We've found what "works" ( after much Testing & Refining ) best, for US (our Family ) and our STYLE of Hunting, in our Elk areas, of, the Hilly, brushy, Mountains of, the West.
NOTE : We are, NOT,.. ELR,.. Deer & Elk, Hunters ( Bipods, DO, work well for,.. that ! )
Bye ALL, good Luck, this Season ! And FILL those, Freezers !

Last edited:
View attachment 299359I'm always about "better to have and not need, than to need and not have", but I found a bipod on my hunting rig is useless FOR ME. Laying prone in the field is about like kissing your cousin. Yeah, the idea might might be tempting, but it still ain't right. 😄 I'll leave prone to the range/target shooting.

So, the shooting stick and field chair is where its at. Gonna start training for this style, along with standing shots, and reconfirm zeros.
Bipods don't fit in my saddle scabbard on my mule [4 legged variety ] I much prefer sliding up to a fence post or tree where there are trees or laying prone over my daypack is second nature at my house. Antelope hunting is one area where a bipod is pretty handy because of the terrain in most cases. Best to practice from a variety of field positions.

I ag
View attachment 299359I'm always about "better to have and not need, than to need and not have", but I found a bipod on my hunting rig is useless FOR ME. Laying prone in the field is about like kissing your cousin. Yeah, the idea might might be tempting, but it still ain't right. 😄 I'll leave prone to the range/target shooting.

So, the shooting stick and field chair is where its at. Gonna start training for this style, along with standing shots, and reconfirm zeros.
I agree with you if youre hunting FLAT Land and not the Montains or hill country.Its hard to shoot over a bunch of weeds or tall grass from a bipod.
Shooting Sticks are best and Monopod second.

I think it's understandable; there are problems with bi-pods in many "hunting" situations, I use and have used them for many years my goto is the Atlas BT46-LW17 PSR Bipod 1913 Picatinny Rail Mount 5" to 9" on my big game and varmint rifles "but"... the caveat is, I always use the QD mounted version so when I don't need them on, they go into my pack or sack. So as stated by many bi-pods have a place not necessarily every place. Just my 0.2 Cheers!

Rem 700 A.I custom .308 Sniper Rifle _3_.JPG
M1A1 Sniper Rifle  _2_ - Copy.JPG

AGREE with, skipdavidson ( SEE Post # 61 ) about, shooting off a Pack as, IT can be,.. "Tricky" and produce, "Flyers" !
Found it best, to stuff Pack Firmly and USE, a "Toe" Rest !
Target aquisition, cross hair Position at time of shot, Breathing / hold, and Trigger Squeeze, ARE, very critical !
AND,. I doubt that, THIS Method, ( shooting off Pack ) works very well,.. past 650- 700 Yards !

Last edited: