I'm Done with a Bipod on My Hunting Gun

I agree with all, I used mine as a rifle rack when I was resting or glassing. Hunted in Idaho, Montana, and Oregon. Only fired off them at the range.

I've been toying with the idea of trading my bipod for my tripod and Arca rail. One aspect of a bipod for consideration is the ability to deploy quickly. On an elk I shot a few years ago at 700 yards, I had to deploy in an instant. I don't think I would have had time to pull a tripod out of my pack and adjust the legs. The heard was moving out of the area.
I started to make my own Arca rails that attach at the end of the stock. They have an attachment point for a swivel stud bipod and allow for the gun to mount to an Arca rail without removing the bipod. That way, I have a bipod and a forward attachment point for a tripod for LR shots seated shots. It accomplishes my goals.

What the heck is that orange orb, are you on Skinwalker Ranch? 😳😂
Back to the subject at hand; I carry a tripod, small seat, and something to use in the rear like shooting sticks/trekking poles with adapter to make them shooting sticks/rucksack (your stick would work). Waaayyy more stable than a "unipod" on the front.

Here's my daughter Cassandra Elk hunting she has the bipod for the field's also a place to put her gun. Then it's on to the Bog Pod for shooting

Attachments

• 98440DD1-2FFB-496A-A06A-41FF8FC7121F.jpeg
    98440DD1-2FFB-496A-A06A-41FF8FC7121F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 136
  • A5F7591F-EE95-4E2A-8AB9-AAE5CC5BEFB1.jpeg
    A5F7591F-EE95-4E2A-8AB9-AAE5CC5BEFB1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 138
Very cool stuff, tripods and saddles make sense to me for sure, I've just never found good stability with the pure sticks compared to a bipod or pack.

Maybe I'll need to grab the ones I shelved and practice more. My last elk was shot off a pack, a bipod would have been easily doable.

I should practice more

I always carry a bipod whether affixed, or in my pack. It's effective use is largely dependent on the terrain I'm hunting in a given area. For me, my most certain and accurate shooting/hunting at long range has been from the prone position. Otherwise, I'm using collapsable sticks/backpack from a well supported setting position. When spotting game at long range or setting up in a stand, I will make a strong attempt to seek out a clear prone position, and if not available, a well supported sitting position. Of the 50+ game animals shot between 500 and 1200 yards over the past 15 years or so, they have been about 50% prone/50% supported sitting. Next to spotting game, establishing a stable shooting position is my highest priority.

Very cool stuff, tripods and saddles make sense to me for sure, I've just never found good stability with the pure sticks compared to a bipod or pack.

Maybe I'll need to grab the ones I shelved and practice more. My last elk was shot off a pack, a bipod would have been easily doable.

Guess I've just always enjoyed living life horizontally
From Lens comments, the solid rear rest is important for LR shooting off a tripod or shooting sticks. I've shot my best 900 yard group with my tripod at the forfend of the stock and shooting sticks under the rear from a seated position. Having the tripod put front instead of at the balance point gives much more stability. Its rock solid and I'm confident of that setup for LR shoot. It just takes a lot more time to setup and I have to carry more equipment. I balance the equipment I take with my expected hunting terrain. A tripod to help with glassing is worth taking IMO. So why not use it to support your rifle for a shot?

View attachment 299359I'm always about "better to have and not need, than to need and not have", but I found a bipod on my hunting rig is useless FOR ME. Laying prone in the field is about like kissing your cousin. Yeah, the idea might might be tempting, but it still ain't right. 😄 I'll leave prone to the range/target shooting.

So, the shooting stick and field chair is where its at. Gonna start training for this style, along with standing shots, and reconfirm zeros.
I had one attached to my rifle every time I headed west for a deer or antelope hunt. After several trips, finding I never even tried to use it I now leave it at home. Why?—unless I get a shot at a goat off the hood of my truck, it seemed like I was always wasting time trying to find a way to set up for the shot. If you've ever thought about crawling or shooting prone in much of the west—think again. Cactus and sage brush is very unforgiving—never attempt without knee and elbow pads and leather gloves. I agree with others that carrying a well designed pack/shooting sticks or tri/bipod works better and makes more sense. Only on TV can a guy clear a shooting place, put down a pad, arrange fore and aft support, check windages, down range distance, adjust bipod height and each leg and then after all that get set for the "perfect" shot at an animal. It also helps if someone has cut the grass in a ten foot circle around where you set up.

BFD Guns I. Couldn't agree more. I tried hunting sticks and they were ok no big complaints other than keeping up with them. It may depend on what you're hunting and how you do it. I'm an elk/deer hunter and prefer still hunting. Sometimes use a ground blind over a waterhole or game trail but I like the freedom to move around. I pretty much use walking sticks as shooting sticks or just brace against a tree. Usually no shortage of trees in my hunting unit. My backpack even works from a sitting position. One thing I never use is a bipod on a hunting rifle.

We killed 3 off bipods last year. One at 926 yards. Wouldn't have happened without. I did invest in a shooting tripod that attaches with an arca rail. It goes as low as 4" and as high as 66". I haven't shot off it yet but It may take the place of the bipods and definitely the sticks
Discovering the tripod and ball head has been the best thing I've tried in a long time. It did take me a few purchases to find the products that actually give me the stability to feel rock solid and make longer shots, and be light enough to carry without being a burden.
You generally get what u pay for, but I didn't need to spend $1200 on a tripod or $700 on a head to get quality gear.
I am not familiar with all the terminology or technical descriptions but my experience boiled down to one factor......the top or base of the tripod, where the legs attach, can make or break your stability. The larger the diameter of the that round base, the better.
I first tried a traveler tripod, which was very nice and light. It had the center post that could extend the height. But the center was smaller and i could never quite get steady.
I then tried the same brand's (Feisol) tournament model and it was night and day. It didn't have the center section, which helps with weight, and the top base is twice the diameter. The weight is within a couple oz.s and folded length within 2-3 inches.
I use a quick release Arca plate on the ball head and a small 3" rail attached to the bottom of my rifles. I can't imagine anything, other than a bench and sandbags, being more rock solid and mobile.