I'm Done with a Bipod on My Hunting Gun

View attachment 299359I'm always about "better to have and not need, than to need and not have", but I found a bipod on my hunting rig is useless FOR ME. Laying prone in the field is about like kissing your cousin. Yeah, the idea might might be tempting, but it still ain't right. 😄 I'll leave prone to the range/target shooting.

So, the shooting stick and field chair is where its at. Gonna start training for this style, along with standing shots, and reconfirm zeros.
I agree completely
image.jpg

Prone in my area is useful depending on the time of year, terrain, and vegetation. That said I don't care for bipods on my general big game hunting rifles either. I save them for my range/ varmint rifles. I've been shooting off sticks or my pack for while now. Generally slung up if time or situation permits. I'm out of practice though. I better get back at it! I could stand to lose about 50 lbs too lol.
Yeah me too for sure!

What the heck is that orange orb, are you on Skinwalker Ranch? 😳😂
Back to the subject at hand; I carry a tripod, small seat, and something to use in the rear like shooting sticks/trekking poles with adapter to make them shooting sticks/rucksack (your stick would work). Waaayyy more stable than a "unipod" on the front.

We killed 3 off bipods last year. One at 926 yards. Wouldn't have happened without. I did invest in a shooting tripod that attaches with an arca rail. It goes as low as 4" and as high as 66". I haven't shot off it yet but It may take the place of the bipods and definitely the sticks

View attachment 299359I'm always about "better to have and not need, than to need and not have", but I found a bipod on my hunting rig is useless FOR ME. Laying prone in the field is about like kissing your cousin. Yeah, the idea might might be tempting, but it still ain't right. 😄 I'll leave prone to the range/target shooting.

So, the shooting stick and field chair is where its at. Gonna start training for this style, along with standing shots, and reconfirm zeros.

Where I hunt and the way I hunt....bipods are more handicap than help. .....I do not like the way the handling characteristics of my rifle are affected!

Bipods will not work in much of the terrain that I hunt as they are not tall enough to clear even most small brush, and they are not tall enough to use in steep downhill shooting. I'll stay with my shooting sticks, they work in a lot of different field situations, and can serve as walking sticks.....a pretty versatile tool to go hunting with! memtb

The OP shares a pic on extraordinarily flat ground. Yeah, a bipod is of limited use there if you have any ground cover.

I used to hunt really flat creek bottoms but it was ag ground, no ground cover. A bipod was absolutely useful.

I've shot two elk with a rifle, one at 620 yards with a 300WM and one at 738 yds with a 338 Edge. Both as somewhat difficult and steep angles for which a Harris H bipod was perfect, and trying to shoot off a backpack would have been difficult to inadequate. Particularly within the time confines needed.

In the end it all depends on your application. Anything over 400ish yards I'm not using shooting sticks and in the mountains angles can get difficult if you don't have the elevation a bipod gives vs off a backpack.

What the heck is that orange orb, are you on Skinwalker Ranch? 😳😂
Back to the subject at hand; I carry a tripod, small seat, and something to use in the rear like shooting sticks/trekking poles with adapter to make them shooting sticks/rucksack (your stick would work). Waaayyy more stable than a "unipod" on the front.
Hahaha, I was so amazed how the Sun looked in the mornings in NW Texas I took a ton of pics.

I don't own a bipod. This year it's a tripod and going to give these a try:

Last edited: